1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Baldur's Gate 3...it's official (almost)

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by Late-Night Thinker, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  2. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

So what do you think Tal? Nervous about Atari? I know I am slightly. They do not have a proven D&D track record. However, if they stick to proven classic fantasy, a D&D game can almost write itself. Personally, I hope they go for more of an open-ended style similar to BG1 rather than the tighly constrained pathway of ID2. I also hope they stick to the top-down perspective of the previous BG's, although I imagine they must as it is such an integral part of the franchise. Well, I hope they release enough information to let us know what they are planning.

3. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

The only thing I hope is that Atari won't rush the game. They do it to often (TOEE), if they want baldur's gate to have a decent sequel they will have to do it right.

It's like fallout 3, both games long in the running, both games extremely popular with the hardcore rpg community.

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I believe it only when I see it, and the reviews are good too. ;) All in all, that blurt could had been anything; a simple mistake from the emplyee's part, or just some hype to boost AD&D sales.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Heh, they are working on both games, that's plain as day. It's been hinted dozens of times over the years that they are coming, and BG3 has been in development before, though with the demise of BIS and Interplay, the development on it stopped. Atari might have bought the unfinished version of BG3 and gave it to someone to finish (most likely Obsidian, since they picked up many BIS refugees). The only real question here is who is developing both games. BioWare is highly unlikely, since they have their hands full with Jade Empire and Dragon Age. That pretty much only leaves Obsidian and Troika if you want anyone with any D&D experience on it. Since people expect a story from BG3, Obsidian would be a logical pick. NWN2 I don't know what to make of. It'd be logical to build on the existing structure, and BioWare is pretty much the only one who can do that, considering they have been working on NWN for years.

Another likely option for BG3 is that they gave the licence to some other company who didn't make any D&D games before, or to a some completely unknown new one. If any of the latter options is true, I'd be most concerned about the outcome.

In any event, I'm sure more information about both games in development will be announced shortly, and more discussion past educated guesses will be possible.

6. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Perhaps you are right. Few days ago (almost the same time that the bg3 rumours appeared) an administrator in the Obsidian forums announced that they have signed with a publisher for their second game, which now is in full pre-production and has the code name "Project Pennsylvania". Maybe it is just a coincidence but who knows.

7. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Since I consider Balders Gate I & II the best RPG games that I have played --if they make a BG that has the quality of the originals I would be in RPG players heaven. At the moment I am off playing city building (which I love) and RPG games from China. The Chinese games are fun but aren't BG.

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

But then they would decide it has to be in full 3D on Doom3's engine. :D

"Minimum requirments Pentium X 100 GHz with SplatForce FX-TI 1 Gb DDR." And looking like current PSX games after a few years. :shake:

9. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Wirhe, you're such a pessimist. This is fantasy land. Let me fantasize (sp).

10. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

I can't; I have a needle and popping bubbles is fun. :D

I mean, how big are the chances that a new team will keep the line the previous one started? Just look what happened to Thief 3.

11. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Don't hold your breath yet, usually when companies strugle to survive they sell crappy games. Think of it as drowning, you care to stay afloat, not the swimming style, therefore you swim like if you had no idea how, but with no grace at all... Same with the gaming industry.

That is IF this is true... PC Gamer has proven wrong most of the time. As an oracle they certainly suck.

@sirus:

You are the exception that confirms the rule.

12. VStyle_Gove Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hi i dont post here often, but I just wanted to mention bg2 is the rpg of all time and my favourite game. I felt comfort in playing IWD2, and felt it nearly caught up to bg2, just lacking an excellent story and characters as such.

I saw months ago rumors of bg3, and it was dismissed as a failed project, plus I didn't want a 3rd to wreak the series. Having said that, I spent ages trying to find an RPG to equal black isle's greatest, I tried NWN, morrowind, TOEE and finally Lionheart. NWN was nothing compared to the bg2 giant, (or so I personally thought, but others love it), I failed to see why people liked Morrowind at all! It lacked story, and if you want a free roam game, why not go play gta?

When I saw toee was 3d and had nothing at ALL in comon with what I liked with blackisle games, i was disapointed again. I felt a bit better after playing the 1st 1/4 of lionheart, (Kevin Michael Richardson is back! Sarevok's voice actor), but when it became hack and slash, i was shocked, the only good hacknslash rpg ever personally has been diablo2.

Finally the idea of bg3 does not sound back after all, but with the black isle breakup, I dont think it will be the same...or really even close. But being the child of Viconia, Jaheira or Aeire sounds good to me, if done right. Personally I dont like Atari's games, sorry to say so.

Having said that, I don't know anything about what has happened to Blackisle, from what I gathered right after the disperse, only 2 developers were left on what was still "Blackisle Studios" and the rest were sacked. I would like to know which developers are doing what now. And who is left with Interplay/Bioware.

13. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I'm in two minds about BG3 - I think if it was set some time after the Bhaalspawn saga and the PC was a child of the Bhaalspawn who defeated the Five, or in the immediate wake of the Bhaalspawn War, it could work. I've not played ToEE, Iv'e heard it's great fun but buggier than a service station hot dog machine.

If what you folks are saying is true, and the same developers (for ToEE) are behind it, then I think I'll just disavow the third instalment. It hurt to do that with Master Of Orion 3, but some things just have to be done.

14. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I just hope they do not make BG3 with consoles in mind. Consoles make smart games dumb.

15. Sheriff of Nothing Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

Back in April a rep from Atari, Brandon Smith, is quoted as saying that 'there may be some truth in the rumour that BGIII will be in development'.

Yeah, pretty ambiguous, but why say such a thing if there's nothing in it?

There's massive scope for it to continue. BG 2 had nothing to do with the city of Baldur's Gate itself so the name is irrelevant; bringing along the 'son of' or even 'grandson of' the child of Bhaal is perfectly feasible; or even a completely new saga.

For my penny's worth, it's on the way, and probably next year as I reckon they're further down the track then: 'WILL be in development'.

Like other posters above I just hope it has nothing in common with console games or even the 3D of games like Dungeon Siege. Seeing as what Atari have done with ToEE I reckon they'll stay true to the format and we'll be pleasantly surprised.

Wishful thinking maybe? Nah.

16. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

It just won't be the same without the infinity engine.

17. Korgal the Strong Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

BGIII is never going to happen and if it is it wont be made by the same crew as made the BG1 and 2. therefore it will suck a donkey's nuts. plus if its called BGIII then it would be stupid to not have it be part of the series and if its part of the series it will be stupid because you cant bypass the ending of ToB.

18. Sheriff of Nothing Gems: 1/31

Veteran

That's that sorted out for us then.

[ August 01, 2004, 09:35: Message edited by: Sheriff of Nothing ]

19. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

BG3...its going to be crappy.

It smells too much like a desperate attempt by Interplay/Atari to make money off the BG license.

20. Sheriff of Nothing Gems: 1/31

Veteran

Maybe you're right, but give them a chance at least. I'd rather see it out there than not.

...the quality of the original BG games has all ready been wrecked by the Dark Alliance games, so let's just wait and see.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.