1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Baldur's Gate 3 Rumours

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by Slappy, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

You're talking about two different things here. A game with Baldur's Gate 3 as a title yet nothing in common with the Baldur's Gate saga is not Baldur's Gate 3 in my books. Even though the theories about how you might make a succesful BG3 are shallow to say the least (how could they not be), they are the only alternative. I would call what Tal just said there useless bickering, if he weren't so absolutely right. They do have the audacity to spoil any good name these days just for the little extra profit. Legalized crime, in my opinion.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No one knows if it would actually be called BG3... That's just short for the next BG game about which no one really knows anything content-wise.

The title could be Baldur's Gate: A New Beginning for all we know. (It was Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance on consoles.)

3. Dimensionally Transcendental One Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

4. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

There was no information at all (At least what I saw) on that site of the game at all.

5. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Lazy Bonzo, what TOB and BG2 have to do with what I said? I meant that -unlike TOB and BG2- BG3 must be in/near the city of Baldur's Gate -like BG1. Was that too complicated to understand?

Anyway, I look forward to playing BG3. :)

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Alex

You had said above "I meant that it must be near/in Baldur's Gate(they have to for the title's sake)." What Tal and Bonzo are saying is that isn't necessarily true. BG2 and ToB didn't happen anywhere near Baldur's Gate and it still worked. So there's no reason to think it HAS to happen in Baldur's Gate itself, because as Tal pointed out - it's the name that's going to sell the game, whether it takes place in Baldur's Gate or Afganistan or wherever. Though I agree that logically it SHOULD take place there, for name's sake, it very well may not.

Get it? :confused: Just a misunderstanding all around.

7. Alaeila Harktree Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG]
    That was a very good game, too. Little disappointing near the end, but it occupied and amused me for about 3 months. (Course now I can finish it in about 2 days) And it had almost nothing to do with Baldur's Gate, 'cept for the fact that that was the place you started out.

Anyway, now for getting back on topic... :p

8. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Exactly, Death Rabbit. You got the point. :thumb:

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Dimensionally Transcendental One, EB Games is what started those BG3 rumours, and was later discredited as made up.

No, actually, that's wrong. Rumours of BG3 have been around since the release of BG2. EB just heated them up a bit now after they got cold. EB knows very well that another BG game will be made at some point in the future, so they can start collecting pre-orders for it and keep pushing the release date ahead for the next few years. In the end they just profit from it by having a large base of pre-orders. The problematic side effect is that everyone else then gets the wrong idea about when the next BG is coming.

10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I'd like to see a BG3 story that happens at around the same time as the first two, but involves different characters doing different things -- different goals, plot, etc. Every once in a while you could have a town crier shouting things like "Hidden Mine destroyed in the Cloakwood", "Local Iron Throne Leader discredited and killed", "Saradush Overrun and destroyed" etc.

A plot dealing with Cyric, for instance, with a PC (not a child of Bhaal) who has to stop Cyric from doing something weird to the Bhaalspawn -- that would be cool.

11. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

This is also way :yot: , but I don't remember ever seeing an ad for Torment outside of a magazine. Was there a TV ad, or did you just think the magazine ad was terrible?

12. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

@Soul, I never saw any ads at all, I only discovered Torment because a friend of mine bought it, and we spent the whole day playing it. I bought it about 2 days later. The shop from which we, both, bought it was absolutely huge, the sort that stocks about 20 copies on shelf of each game (and a million more in reserve - ok exgageration but you get the point). They had no more than 3 copies of Torment, and this was less than a month after release date IIRC. Smaller shops that we tried first hadn't even heard of it, though they were still selling loads of copies of BG.

[edit] apoligies tal

[ June 21, 2003, 17:39: Message edited by: Lazy Bonzo ]

13. Taluntain

Media:
    There have been topics on the bad/non-existent advertising of Torment in the Torment forum, so please post there if you mean to carry on this off-topic debate.

14. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

No no no no and no .... Those plots are butchering Faerun!They have to find a VERY good one if they want to overrun Bhaalspawn Saga's success.
    I don't hope BG3 to be in Baldur's Gate or Amn. I know every place including all secret locations in those areas from previous games.It would be pointless to make a game here, and It would be boring.I am waiting for a better location such as Waterdeep or Calimport. But whatever It can take place even in Mulhorand or Maztica and use the names Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale but I'm sure that it won't be Pool of Radiance. Why? Baldur's Gate is really a name, a mark in RPG history, so it would be wise for publishers to make people think that the new game will be connected to Baldur's Gate and suddenly players find themselves suddenly in the middle of The Chult.
    It's all about naming and marketing strategies - which I don't know - . Baldur's Gate sells , PoR doesn't and they are suspecting that the new game won't sell as Baldur's Gate, so they are making it Baldur's Gate 3.
    [EDIT: What about a Warcraft like game where you are the god and grant powers to your armies... Yeah I suck]

(takes a deep breath)

15. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Maybe another thing similar to the time of troubles where you have to re-establish your worth or something?

...okay, that sucks. But still.

16. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Maybe you have to play Bhall when he voluntarily became mortal to spread his progeny :p
    Which would conclude a very sick and twisted game :lol:

I don't think there would be any point to BG3 - as mentioned before. But they may say:

<Insert Game name here>
    The next Baldurs' Gate

or something like that to help sell it. I think they should re-sell PS:T and perhaps add more areas and put a tag line - better than BG, but we didn't say so before.

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    There's no reason why he should be stripped of experience. In fact it's impossible without erasing his memories of events. But as Bhaalspawn saga is supposed to be over... Perhaps some other character. Maybe a son? But then the son would be... oh, wouldn't be Bhaalspawn if his father dropped his powers, oh wait - that's it! The kid could have been conceived before charname gave Bhaal powers away!

Does this mean epic adventures of a weird cleric roaming all over the Sword Coast? :lol: :shake: ;)

18. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have reason to suspect that the Jefferson Project will be BG3.

I forget where (I'm sure there's an SP news link somewhere) but there is a website where a spokesperson for the developers provides quite a bit of info on the Jefferson Project. The Jefferson Project is going to be a D&D game set around Cormyr. It's all about you living and playing it out as a single alter ego, as in only one level-1 newbie character that you can create. You then recruit pre-made NPCs with their own personalities and agendas into your party.

Ergo, I believe that is the basis for calling it Baldur's Gate 3. It's not set around Baldur's Gate. It's not going to continue the TofB plot. How can it? But it is going to be the same style of game as BG1 and BG2. Create your alter ego, go forth into the world, and recruit pre-made NPCS into your party.

If you want to be picky, yes, the connection is a tenuous one. But if Jefferson Project/BG3 delivers the same outstanding quality as its predecessors, who am I to complain?

19. Taluntain

Media:
    Jefferson has been canned until further notice. There was a separate topic about it in this forum not long ago.

20. AlexGK Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hehe, the son idea is not so bad, but imagine something like this: You got in BIG trouble and suddenly father comes along with, say, Imoen and Sarevok and eliminates all the foes in a couple of rounds. :D :D :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.