1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

My thoughts about Chapter 1...

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Yaballa, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Yaballa Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I finally finished Chapter 1 today and what a relief that was. Chapter 2 seems much better for now.
    I never saw anything as boring, tiresome and uninspired as that. Obsidian really lowered the standard - first, it's not balanced and playtested at all. What's so fun in being attacked by a bunch of tough thugs in the city of Neverwinter behind every corner? They slay my party in a round or two and I ran over to the guards who just stand there and watch. Speaking of enemies, there's too many of them - it's a hackfest! Is there a reason every encounter must consist of at least 50 enemies? And when I heared some NPC's talked like male aasimars (the default voiceset) I knew nobody cared ;)

I didn't like voiceacting - everybody were so dramatic for no apparent reason. I found the whole Axle character horribly overdone and unbelievable. I say remove him and no one will notice.

Joinable NPC's are a disappointment too, except for Shandra. Dwarves that are obsessed with orc slaying should be held in a sanatorium (I'm sick of the never ending orc-dwarf war in every game). A redhead tiefling rogue with a tail was fun in Planescape Torment, Neeshka's not.

I'll shut up now and go play with the toolset and Chapter 2 some more. As I said Chapter 2 seems much, much better.
    Did anyone else expected more from Chapter 1?

2. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    I found the fosterfather guy's voice the worst "I-am-a-robot, please-insert-lines-in-my-mouth".

Yup, the thugs were as badly balanced as the archers in BG bandit camp. The mages that attack you with fireballs are the worst.

Also, the game seems to expect you have hoards of money for some reason. Like it was intented that you get all the overpowered weapons in the beginning to balance the game.

3. Master Leo Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

i've never had any problems with groups of enemies (i play on core), grab qara and elanee and you have really strong firepower

personally i think act 1 was actually the best and most interesting, because it's at least partly nonlinear, and there is extra places you can explore if you want
    it's also an act with the most sophisticated dialogue

later on, not only the game becomes linear, the variety of enemies is smaller as well, as you mostly just fight demons and undead

since this is a 3.5 game, i really expected them to add some new creatures into the game, but nada

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Grabbing Qara to help with mobs works very well on the lower difficulty level settings but if your difficulty level is set high enough for you to take damage from party cast area effect spells than bringing Qara along is almost an invitation for a fiery death.

5. Yaballa Gems: 1/31

Elanee constantly shapeshifted so i removed her from party. I didn't pick up Qara since I play as a wizard. I'm not a powerplayer, maybe that's the problem - it seems this game expects one?

Tell me, how did you survive that Backalley quest for Axle? Let me remind you of the unfair situation - immediately in the beggining there's a group of thugs to your left and another one just ahead. Here's the not so bright-looking situation:
    2 spellcasters, 6 melee fighters and 3 or 4 archers against your 4 member party. Mages immediately engulf you in various lightning/fireball combos and others quickly finish you off. I'm somehow convinced that playtesters and devs didn't fight through it as we did, they just "cheated" their way through most of it.

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Casting stoneskin on the entire party and then focusing on the enemy spellcasters first helps. Really when it gets right down to it a stoneskinned party tends to win easily while a non-stoneskinned party tends to die easily. I suppose that does reflect poor balancing but I just got used to it.

7. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

does chocking bags really help vs enemy casters too, how you find a game people constantly complains about being to easy is a bit beyond me ;)

also try setting the npc's on puppet mode, to avoid the stupid AI, that way Elanee becomes quite usefull.

if all else fails, play on easy untill you learn the game.

8. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

Equester is correct. Bags of choking powder does wonders against enemy spellcasters, perhaps supplied with some flasks of alchemy fire and acid. They don't sell for much anyway, so you might want to use them instead.

Anyway, in any RPG game you would want to attack the spellcasters first.

You don't have to set the npc's, and especially not Elanee on puppet mode.

Go into Elanees Character sheet, choose the Behavior tab and switch Ability Usage off.

That way she won't shapeshift unless you want her to.

Elanee is very useful against spellcasters. Let her rip a couple of Call Lightnings and you'll see.

Besdies that it is very easy to get a horde of money in the game, even in Act 1. Just loot everything, and sell the expensive items to Sand. He gives a lot more for items worth over 1000 GP. And crafting for money is a way to go too.

9. Master Leo Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

back alley is pretty easy
    with my bard, i took qara, elanee, and neeshka, all set to puppet mode

round 1:
    qara casts fireball (you have to predict enemy movment)
    elanee casts call lightning (when enemies are getting close)
    neeska flanks for sneak attacks
    me casts confusion, cursed song

round 2, qara casts another fireball into the back row, elanee casts another call lightning, neeshka flanks, me kills stuff

they don't stand a chance

it's even easier with a sorcerer as my main
    2 fireballs, 1 call lignthning per round == destruction

the masses are just cannon fodder and it's an easy game

10. Yaballa Gems: 1/31

Thanks for all the advice. As my friend said, there's more micromanagement in CRPGs than before, so there you have it... If you ignore it to a certain point (as I did), you'll run into problems sooner or later. But I still say they could made it a lot better.

11. Ironhawk Skylord

Well, that depends on the CRPG game.

I.E you don't survive long in BG2 or in the IWD series without micromanagement, but you CAN do without in BG1, but it is harder that way.

NWN1 is another matter, where micromanagement is practically non-existant.

I don't know what CRPG's you are used to, but BG1 and expansion is from 1998-1999, BG2 and expansion is from 2000-2001, and IWD series is from 2000-2002.

Perhaps you are more used to hack-and-slash CRPG's?

12. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

heck the old ultima games for snes, along with other crpg's from that era required a fair bit of micromanagetment. Shining forces for genesis and so on.

im feeling old, for remembering this ;)

13. Ironhawk Skylord

You said it yourself Equester: You ARE an old man. :D

14. Yaballa Gems: 1/31

I'm not a big fan of hack n slash games. OK, Diablo was fun but that's it.
    Well, I enjoy playing some older, atmospheric and more simplistic games like Daggerfall and SSI games where I don't have to think what bonuses stack together and what don't. 3rd edition DnD isn't really that suitable for CRPGs. 2nd edition handled it much smoother IMO. In the end, all that it comes down to is that you're either having fun or you aren't, wouldn't you say?

15. Ironhawk Skylord

Oh I totally agree. It is supposed to be recreational and fun. And that's a matter of taste.

However I find it that people sometimes spoil the fun they could get, if they compare one game to another. After all, each game is somewhat different.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.