1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mask of the Betrayer - Your Favourite Features?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Taluntain, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Great! Looking forward to it.

Unfortunately there aren't any details about what all the "new" stuff is, so it's hard to say what my favorite would be :)

3. Master Leo Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

4. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

I really just like more of the same. :)

And for once it is not on the Sword Coast or in the Underdark. Looking forward to Rashemen.

5. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Wonder what the new reaces will be. :hmm: That would be what I'm most looking forward to.

6. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Bah, new races are all well and good but I'm hoping that they finish animating the character models.

[ April 13, 2007, 07:02: Message edited by: Celesialraven ]

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My favorite feature of the expansion? It's existence.

Holla.

8. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Thay? Rashemen? More stuff for the OC and modders, hopefully finally free of bugs?

The East is imo one of the most interesting locales in Faerun, and I've long hoped to see it. I hope they're going to pull off a really great campaign and include some interesting classes, races, and feats.

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Expansions have traditionally lowered the cost of the original -- that's what I'm looking forward to, a reasonably priced game.

10. Ironhawk Skylord

Get real. BG2 had a lot of patches right? And it is still bugged unless you use Baldurdash or G3 Fixpack. PS:T was patched and are still bugged unless you use a fixpack. NWN1 is still being patched until now, right?

How many games today are bug free?

11. Johi Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

In my opinion, that is no excuse for serious bugs in a game I paid 50€ for.

btt: I am also looking forward to explore the eastern Regions of Faerun!

12. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

i wonder what the new base classes and races will be. the prestige classes will most likely deal with the setting, a bit like nwerwinter nine and shadow thief maybe.

no pc game will be bug free today. nwn 1 is on patch 68 and still has bugs.
    the more options the gamer is given, the more bugs can and will arise. if you want bugfree games, it will be does completely linear console games.

13. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Well, there weren't 68 patches... they skipped a load of numbers in the middle for some reason. But there were a lot of patches (although a lot of it was new features).

I'm most excited about the classes too. I was never bothered about the subraces, but more classes will be good.

That and a new Obsidian story.

14. Ironhawk Skylord

You could have said the same about BG2, PS:T or NWN1, or a lot of games.

In my opinion there a lot of overly critical gamers these days. When it is not bugs they are complaining about, it is about the game is linear or non-linear, the possibility of making your own party or not, good NPC's , bad NPC's or why the NPC can't be chaotic stupid or have purple hair.

And it looks like it is IN to whine and rant.

But the question is simple. Do you like to play the game or do you not? If not, don't play it. It is supposed to be recreational and fun, I have heard.

To make a game today is more complicated than it used to be, the game it self is almost a mini-OS. Microsoft is still patching up Windows XP, why is it such a surprise that games need patching also?

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I don't really agree with the "shut up and take it" approach to the pressing issue of chronically buggy games being released in the last few years. While I certainly agree that the games today are much more complex, people tend to forget that the budgets for such games and the number of people working on them are also exponentially higher. So the resource & task ratio isn't really any different than in the old days when the game development budgets were a fraction of what they are today, same as the size of the dev crew.

What's changed is the general attitude that releasing buggy games is okay. Because you can always patch them later (or not, if the game doesn't sell that well). And this attitude is the norm today because not enough people complain about it, not the other way around. The day when the gamers accept that all games come out buggy is the day when the unscrupulous publishers like Atari light their cigars with $100 bills and start releasing beta versions for paying customers to test (this last part is pretty common already).

The major question here is how to fight this attitude effectively, because whining, ranting and losing temper online makes little impact on the publishers' bottom line. As long as they get your money, they don't really care if you ritually burn the game afterwards.

So far, the only sensible way to counter this bugs-R-fine attitude that I've come up with is to simply not buy the games until a year or two after they've been released originally. With any luck, an expansion will be out by then and you'll be able to buy the bundle for less than the initial cost of the game, or the price of the game will have come down by at least a half. But the best thing is, as soon as you install the game, you can download all the previous patch fixes at once and get at least a decent playing experience.

That way you manage to punish the publishers for forcing buggy games to be released prematurely by giving them far less money, as well as making sure that the game is at least semi-decently patched by the time you play it for the first time.

If only all the people acted this way you'd be amazed how quickly all the games would start coming out far less buggy.

16. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Tal,
    I agree completely. However, to speculate, one of the possible drawbacks to this would be that publishers may be even more reluctant to release original games that may not sell very well. That is, it is possible that publishers would fall back even more on the all appealing FPS or movie knock off types of games that guarantee a return.

Back to the matter at hand, I am really hoping for a spellbook to be included for the assassin and blackguard types. This, more spells, and more melee specific\useful feats would make playing the fighter type a lot less boring. As it is, NWN2 really went back from NWN and gave us a character class that gains numerous feats but lacks many interesting choices. Here's to hoping Obsidian listened to the community and implemented some changes rather than only additional content!

[ April 14, 2007, 08:25: Message edited by: Celesialraven ]

17. Taluntain

Media:
    At this point, I don't think it's even possible that fewer original games could be released on the PC. To put this into perspective - NWN2 isn't an original game either. It's part of a highly specific licensed series which will undoubtedly grow to several more titles over the next years. Furthermore, it's restricted by the umbrella D&D licence. Originality has little place inside these confines.

Atari isn't gambling at all by releasing NWN2, even if it is in a sorry state. They know very well that by releasing only one D&D title every so many years, most people who like to play D&D games on the PC will buy it, simply because there will be no alternative to it. Monopoly in a certain area always has been the easiest way to make bucketloads of cash with little invested effort.

Anyway, I'm off-topic so I better stop now. :D

18. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

"I'm most excited about the classes too. I was never bothered about the subraces, but more classes will be good."

Heh, heh... Unapproachable East is one of my more preferred setting books, and the PrCs are one of the reasons why I like it... I hope classics like the Hathran, Runescarred Berserker, Shou Disciple, or Black Flame Zealot will make the cut.

19. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Looks good to me!

As for bugs - I agree with Tal. Esentially you are paying a lot of money for something that doesn't work. I wouldn't buy a book that has typos everywhere or a CD that skips frequently.

20. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

N.P.

Edit: any ideas what the new base class may be? I'm genuinely curious... Please not the CAdv ninja ;)

[ April 27, 2007, 01:13: Message edited by: The Shaman ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.