1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wish list

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by chevalier, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, in P&P D&D, the henchman NPC was controlled by the Dungeon Master. They had a habit of running away when the going got tough.

2. konny666 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I have to say that I really don't think the vast majority of suggestions in this thread would ever be incorporated into NWN2.

Here's why; it seems the vast majority of you guys hated NWN with a PASSION, and continue to wish for a Baldur's Gate 3. That's not what NWN2 is about - it's a game continuing in the vein of NWN, but with tons of improvements.

If you hated NWN, you won't find much in NWN2 appealing.

Also, it seems for many of you, your opinion of NWN is solely based on the original game without the expansion packs OR any of the commmunity-made modules OR any of the multiplayer servers. You're missing out on like 90% of the game!

NWN's scripting language (which is basically "C" - the language used to write Operating Systems like UNIX) lets you do almost anything, and I've seen scripts which can handle at least half of the things people mentioned in this thread. The community is also ridiculously huge, as there is tons of custom content available to satisfy almost any desire. And now it's possible to have parties with unlimited number of characters (henchmen) too, with full inventory control. You can write your own AI scripts so that they behave "intelligently" too.

Being a BG2/ToEE lover myself, I will agree that NWN had 2 major weaknesses:
    - no tactical combat (i.e. because it's not turn-based)
    - no "full control of 6-person party"

Both those conditions are a direct result of it being adapted for online multiplayer play. A worthy sacrifice, IMO.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, Obsidian is apparently well aware that NWN's major weakness was the poor OC, which turned away many of the people who buy a CRPG expecting to get a story and experience on par with previous BIS/BioWare offerings with it out of the box (not having to wait for someone to make one). No romances, no control over henchmen with piss-poor AI, no inventory control, generic surroundings (and quests) were a major turn-off for many people. Some of this was corrected by SoU and HotU, but not that much really. With HotU NWN barely got to the level it should have been upon release. But considering the people at Obsidian know how to make a good story and what makes a good single-player experience, I'm keeping my hopes up for NWN2.

4. konny666 Gems: 4/31

Chances are that NWN2 will have a story/single-player experience on a par with BG1, if not BG2. Taluntain, I don't think they will disappoint you in that respect.

However... chances are that it will accomplish this whilst still maintaining many of NWN's "weaknesses" (in the eyes of the BG2/ToEE community) such as No Turn-Based combat, No Full Party control, etc.

It is not necessary to have "Turn-Based Combat & Full Party Control" to deliver a "good story and ... good single-player experience".

On an unrelated point, one of the priorities for the NWN2 crew seems to be maintaining the powerful NW Toolset for end-users to play with.

On the other hand, "Dragon Age" is supposedly devoid of a toolset, and will not be as easily modifiable by end-users. But on the plus side, it's supposed to have full party control - and I mean FULL PARTY CONTROL - as well as the "wow"ing effect of BG2. I can only assume it will be a more concerted effort by BioWare in making a more classical RPG.

So, I suspect that the vast majority of you BG2 fans will be more satisfied by Dragon Age. :)
    I myself will probably be adequately satisfied by both games. I'll play NWN2 on odd days of the month, and DA on even days...

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    konny666, no one here is really clamouring for turn-based... that's on obsession I've never understood myself. Most of SP's visitors are used to real-time with pause button, which has been used in all Infinity Engine games.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I don't hate NWN (so far) but there are a few things that could be done to improve things in NWN2, which other people have already mentioned:
    - better AI or control of NPCs
    - more replayability through different paths through the game
    - better inventory control
    - more variety between areas
    - more humour
    - more compelling and dramatic story
    - less tedious chests and boxes to open all over the place
    - sub-races

7. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Another thing is better combat animations and stuff like that....

8. Harbourboy

I guess better combat animations is a technology driven thing depending on how powerful computers are by then and what graphics capabilities are available. Some of the other things that people are looking for (like replayability) do not require any better technology.

9. konny666 Gems: 4/31

"Better AI" I agree with, and I can see it happening. Control of NPCs I cannot.

Possible. I think replayability will be better than NWN or BG1... but not as good as BG2 ("realistic goals").

I think inventory control was fine in Hotu, I'm guessing they'll just maintain this except with appropriate enhancements for 3.5ed.

agreed, and it looks like they'll be doing this since they're re-designing a new DirectX 9.0 graphics engine anyways, and need to re-make all the graphics (areas).

I think they will pay attention to all 3 of these, since they are related to the story/plotline/general design of the game. And they definitely indicated that those are 3 very important areas.
    At any rate, they have some of the good Black Isle designers working on it (Chris Avellone??) so let's see what they can do.

IMO a "nice to have" feature but not really necessary.

Since they need to re-design all the animations from scratch I'm guessing we'll get something like this. BTW hotu added one really nice animation - whirlwind attack - I still haven't got tired of that one ;)

10. ethis123 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Lets have a party! And I don't mean just 3 or 4 but 5! And that hot elf girl should be a part of this party after all no one wants a sausage feast

11. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

:eek: err... Could you clarify that, ethis?

12. konny666 Gems: 4/31

"sausage fest" is when you have a group full of just Males/Men.

like the Fellowship of the Ring from LOTR.

13. ethis123 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Yes very well done konny

14. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

Well, if I could "wish" for anything, it would be first edition rules. But of course, that'll never happen.

15. Galadaster Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'd like NWN2 to put the RP back in CRPG's like only "Planescape: Torment" really did. All CRPG developers should have their team play Planescape and learn. Stop churning out multiplayer crap and focus on a high value single player experience.

I don't care about flying mounts, holy avengers +119, unrealstic hordes of enemies you click to death, multiplayer online stuff where everybody goes "l33t c00l $0rd, j00 $til suxxOrz" and least of all a flashy engine that proves impossible to play.
    I want my character to interact with the world and the world to interact with him/her. If that means massive dialogue, so be it. 100's of quests, a bit of combat, and a way to customize my character in game by playing it. That' s not too much to ask I hope.

16. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Making the toolset more friendly would be a great plus.
    • Been able to edit multiple area properties at once.
    • Been able to open more than one window at once, and flick between them at will.
    • Making it more easy to navigate around to look from different angles. It's not too bad currently, but it could be a lot better.
    • A way to 'test run' an area without having to open up any other program.
    • Would be nice if they didn't completely remove the Tiles, but have it so you can use the tiles as a 'base' and then use this 'paint terrain function' to touch it up, and merge the tiles together more nicely.
    • Most importantly, it would be a dream come true if the toolset didn't corrupt mods so often!

17. FurriusBane Gems: 1/31

There are a lot of great ideas and suggestions here. I agree with most of them. When you drop $50 on a game, you want it to be something that can be played for a LONG time to come. Daggerfall was excellent in its ability to drop you in a very rich world with lots of ways to go about your 'life'. There wasn't a linear quest path that absolutely had to be followed or the game stopped dead in its tracks like most games.

The monsters should be adequate to the level of character you have. If I am not mistaken, shouldn't a giant spider be a LOT easier to kill than a sword spider?

This is something that I have always wondered about. Why is it when you kill a mage you never find a book with all their spells in it? Mages are not sorcerers and therefore have to STUDY their spells before being able to cast them. So, after vanquishing one, why is it that you cannot find a book with the spells that they have in their arsenal? Did it evaporate? Disintegrate?

Along those lines as well.....make spells INT related. I mean, spells cannot be learned/cast if you do not have the mental training/capacity for learning them. Right? Once that person acquires the requisite knowledge, then that person should be able to read, learn, and cast that spell. Daggerfall was also great in the ability to create your own spells and enchantments. That would be awesome in the next game. That ability to adjust the amount of intensity your fireball has, for example, is a great feature and is a reasonable request. Along with the amount of spells someone has the ability to cast based on intelligence, there could be a point system (like daggerfall) that gets used up based on the intensity or depth of the spell casted.

Um...what else? Dragonfear. That should be something that all dragons of opposite alignment to your character should automatically emit at least at initial meeting. Of course, degree of dragonfear emitted would be conditional on if it wanted to talk and not scare you away.

For the toolset, more variety of the same type of placeables would be nice. Especially stuff in the specialty realms like for creating unique (at least in your mod) wizard's towers, temples, etc. That would provide a richer experience instead of thinking you are visiting the same place over and over again.

Notable items from above is the ability to create unique-looking NPC's and characters. Maybe a simple editor that you can mix and match features like eyes, mouth, eyebrows, & skin types (i.e., textures like poc marks, tattoos, smooth skin, & scars).

18. Komoda Gems: 1/31

A DM client and toolset for NWN 2.
    There are two main (by donation) online game servers for NWN, maybe those that are working on NWN 2 currently could include them both. Not sure about Avlis.com, but Layonara Online would be a bonus. Both server bases ahve some really good ideas, and have reallt done a lot of work to make online multiplayer rp very fun. I know I am addicted :p

19. hecatonheires Gems: 1/31

deity interferences, planes other than the material..
    no xp cap.

epic, baby ;)

20. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

There were other Planes in HotU ;) but visiting others would be nice.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.