1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

May the speculation begin...

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Taluntain, Aug 4, 2004.

1. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Besides which, Bioware have themselves admitted that they'd rather have spent more time making it better, but there wasn't any more time. Since NWN is still being sold, it would be bad business to publicly slam the contents of a game that may lead to more purchases of one on which you are working.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Exactly. I'm sure the CEOs don't use euphemisms when they talk to each other about design decisions and what needs to be done to fix the bad impression the official campaign made on most true role-players. But they can't go on a mud-slinging contest in public, obviously. Especially since the majority of gaming media would be genuinely surprised what it's all about, at least judging by the reviews which praised NWN's OC. Whether under the hype influence, pressure to write a good review to stay on good terms with BioWare, or actual liking of the OC, the majority of reviews actually praised NWN's OC, something I'll never be able to figure out myself.

3. MilanChe Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hype, definitely. I remember when I got the game, I was in heaven that it was finally out, shaking with joy. Only when I finished it did the realization of what kind of crap was SP part of NWN struck me.
    Few months ago Gamespy put NWN on their list of "10 most overrated games of all time" or something like that. I think they were the first (and so far the only) to admit the mistake.

4. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, I actually read a review (in French) that praised nwn in the heavens, but they admitted it was for the potential of custom development and not for the game in itself. (for those interested, it was in a gaming magazine called Gen4)

5. Keyper of the 7 Gems: 2/31

In my opinion there were a lot of ideas that were just left out the last minute or half-done like the alleged romancing. All you got in every case was a big fat MAYBE at the last dialogue. No chance of seeing this romance through.
    Furthermore this one-npc thing (2 on HotU I think) killed all interaction between NPCs (like in BG2 between Viconia and... well pretty much everyone else!)
    Oh, AND REAL ****EN IMPORTING OF YOUR NWN1 CHARACTER, LET THE PLAYER DECIDE WHETHER HIS CHARACTER IS TOO STRONG FOR THE CAMPAIGN. In any case the XP a high leveled character will get is pretty lame so soon enough he/she will be at the right level after a while

6. Lord Moredhel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

i'd surely want to see some more personality in NPC's. I also wish more classes to obtain and unlimited character creation. I hate it to be bound to 3 classes max. I once had an idea of Rogue/Assassin/Shadowdancer/Blackguard, but yay, i couldnt make it :(

7. Kaos Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I think it would be a good idea if you could manipulate the environment more. Like being able to start a Tavern brawl with chairs and tables for weapons, the ability to throw someone through a window or wall (if your strong enough)and the ability to hide in a closet until its all over. :D

8. Elendrile Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'd like to see the class limit dropped and an xp multiclassing penalty implemented, this would be actual DnD rules. I'd like to see a different min/max skill system, the current one I think is both restrictive AND abusable. Not a good combination. And please, please, do away with the Henchman system. I know they've already said they're sticking with it but when are they going to get it through their thick skulls that giving you full control of your NPC's gives you more options, which gives you more varied tactics, which allows you to make the game more challenging? I just hope Obsidian doesn't inherit Bioware's stubborness.

9. MilanChe Gems: 2/31

Yup. The henchmen are stupid, no argument on that. They are useless most of the time due to their crappy AI.Fully controlable NPC's with personalities (like those in BG2) would be so much better.

10. Keyper of the 7 Gems: 2/31

Do you know how annoying was it when I tried to battle a bunch of sceletal mind-controlers-what's their-name and my cleric henchman instead of coming to fight by my side would just keep casting turn undead which to this high-leveled creatures did absolutely nothing over and over again?
    Or when I'd fight a bunch of low level kobolts and she would cast hammer of the gods. And there wasn't even a command use spells depending on how many enemies you have before you and of what level, something to keep her from throwing everything she got to a single wolf. I mean ARGG!

11. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

NWN does have the XP penalty for multiclassed implemented exactly as specified in the DnD 3.0 rules. 20% penalty if any two non-preferred, non-PrC classes are more than one level apart.

I too would like to have access to more than three classes sometimes. I'd like to see what a Bard/Fighter/Dragon Disciple/Paladin could do. :D

12. Elendrile Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I never saw anything on the character sheets about favored classes or xp penalties (like in IWD2) so I just assumed they weren't there. I remember one post by one of the guys on the NWN team regarding the 3 class limit and he said it was to limit people's powergaming. I find this rather stupid since that's exactly what xp penalties are for, there's no reason to limit players further.

As for the Henchman issue, I can understand their reasons for its implementation, but it isn't worth it to try to make them seem like their own minds (especially when other NPC's don't even acknowledge they're there) when you limit gameplay as much as you do. Bioware has stated repeatedly that they want it to fell like table top combat where you don't have control over the other partymembers. Well, I don't know about you, but when I play PnP I've always worked with the other PC's, setting up our characters in flanking positions and whatnot. I think the TOEE system was a good compromise where you didn't have control over how their character leveled up and their more personal choices, but you had complete control over them in combat.

13. MilanChe Gems: 2/31

****! ****!

I DON'T LIKE THAT POLL ON THE FRONT PAGE!

I'm pretty sure that they are "feeling the pulse" with that one. Getting hit on by [snip] in a game is not how I want to spend my free time.
    **** being PC! Can't they concetrate on more important issues?!
    Except if we're talking about lesbians. Or maybe even elven lesbians. Now THAT is surely welcomed. :D

[Offensive content removed, warning pending.] -Tal

[ August 17, 2004, 11:57: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The poll was posted based on ideas suggested in the chatroom, and it's a good one. I'm quite interested what the results will be. Anyway, if you want to comment on the poll, open a thread in SS, this isn't the proper forum.

15. MilanChe Gems: 2/31

Are you telling me that the poll has nothing to do with NWN2? I'm pretty sure it does. If that is the case, then this IS the proper forum for such a discussion.
    The topic name is "May the speculation begin". Based on the poll I'm therefore speculating that they are thinking about putting in a homo-romance.
    If you say that I am wrong and that such a thing is not being considered, then fine, I'm droping the subject.

btw I have nothing against gay people, the forced PC is what bothers me.

16. Taluntain

Media:
    The poll is a site feature, and as such should be discussed in the SS forum. While there has been some discussion on the official forums regading gay romances, OUR poll is purely speculative at this point, and it applies to both BG3 and NWN2. Feel free to discuss the potential gay romance in NWN2 here, but not based on our weekly poll, which is in no way official. I hope this makes it more clear to you.

17. MilanChe Gems: 2/31

"...in no way official"

Then you guys must have a fortune teller in your staff because these polls have been a very good prediction for events that followed them. Or the polls have been used as a marketing research tool which is a far more likely situation.

I now have a strong conviction that a gay romance is being seriosly considered for an upcoming game, be it NWN2, BG3, or even both of them, basing it on my experience with your polls which I have started to take as a "matter of fact" over the years for reasons mentioned above. Being that the curent poll's results are mostly positive, maybe we shall soon be entertained with a new press release from BW, and then we'll see how (un)reliable the information in your polls really are and are my asumptions (in)correct.

I have made a 180 turn in opinion on the gay romance possibility (pun not intended). I can just kill the guy if he pisses me of by being too pushy and not taking no for an answer! :D Or by being an idiot on some other matter. :) The gay people, on the other hand, can have their fun with him. Everyone happy. Butt they better make that attack icon and not make him relevant to the plot...

18. Taluntain

Media:
    Let's try this again. The poll was made AFTER discussions about gay romances started in the BioWare Dragon Age forum (which isn't even a D&D game). About two weeks later, in fact. You can go check the news archives if you don't believe me. And as much as I'd like for BioWare/Obsidian to pay me for market research (or anything else), they don't. So rest assured, there's no hidden agenda behind the poll.

BioWare already put a lesbian romance in SW: KotOR, so another one wouldn't be much of a surprise really.

As for our polls, I'm not really sure which were so prophetic... most of them are created based on ideas I get from people in our chatroom, community events, or simply from inspiration at the moment. Not a single one on the site in all the years SP has been around has been "supported" or in any way endorsed by any of the game developers. Believe it or not, BioWare and all other game developers have their own sites, and if they wanted to post polls, they would (and have in the past) without the help of anyone else.

It IS quite likely, however, that D&D game developers check the polls on SP, and sometimes act based on the results. Which I'd say is a good thing, wouldn't you?

19. MilanChe Gems: 2/31

Absolutely. This is the place where some of their most devoted consumers stop by.

Played KotoR, didn't know about the lesbian possibility...

20. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

It's a rumour actually. The thing is, a female protagonist can have a closer relationship with the catwoman character than a male one. But it is by no means a lesbian romance. Many have tried it and found that over-enthusiastic teens merely went and read more in it than was actually there.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.