1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to beat Firkraag at level 8

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Steppenwolf, Mar 23, 2001.

1. Manfred Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I think the timestop method is incredibly inventive. Anybody try it on Kangaxx yet?

As for Firkragg, it may be a little overkill (but hey, it works!). I'm playing the game for the first time, and just killrf Firkragg using four summoned creatures (including an air elemental), casting lower resistance and a couple of breach spells, and just having at him with my fighters, and magic users casting magic missile. None of my characters took more than about 15 points of damage, and the one breath attack he got off did NO DAMAGE to Nalia, who was heavily protected by resist fire spells along with her ring. Mazzy did an incredible amount of damage using Tansheron's bow. The Air Elemental got in a couple of good hits too.

So yeah, maybe Firkragg is a little too easy. If its too boring, maybe you could up the difficulty level some.

2. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Thank's Ironbeard for sharing. I think we all know the feeling. I want you to know that we're all behind you in this. And if you ever feel the urge we will be there for you.

3. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Da Punisher, you're right, but BG2 uses AD&D-rules, not 3E (where they've raised the HP of each monster drastically). But still, even 2E-Dragons are a hunderfold stronger then those BG2-sissies.

4. Punkindrublic Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] some one needs to get a patch that makes the dragons better. mabye in throne of baul they will chuck in some more dragons that are full bad ass. but untill then ill continue my dragon huntin ways so far ive killed the black one and that red one but i want to kill more

5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Well that's where the difficulty-bar is for.... Maybe the dragons should have some more variety in attacks but when we go back to AD&D, in the AD&D game is it too hard to kill a red dragon at lvl 12. And we wouldn't have Fierkraag so strong that we can't kill the bastard, I suppose.

6. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I wonder what kind of monsters are in Throne of Bhaal. I hope some real good dragons, or maybe 2 or 3 at a time. You can become lvl 40, so maybe you can take out 3 all by yourself! (Thaco of -125, AC -10, savingthrows all -25 ;))

7. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31

I'd rather they upped the difficulty of the "pit fiends" and the "Balors" than spending more time with the dragons.

Only one dragon can fit in a very big room.

A whole bunch of devils and demons can fit in a smaller one. Fun!

I hope they differentiate the fiends. It sucks to see generic tanarri skins being used, and no abishai? No barbazu?? Only a dumb looking pit fiend?? (The pit fiend model used would have been good to depict a dumb animal, but come on guys Pit Fiends have super-genius level intelligence. And where's their wings?)

Now that I've got Gate I'm having fun dueling demons. One on one, with no help except resist fear.

8. theholygit Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

well I'll tell u what I personally think the dragons are quite hard, probably coz i don't have many plans on how to beat monsters, i just go at it. But I see what u mean dragons are ment to be much harder.

9. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31

[​IMG] Heck I just realized that at level 17 I don't even need Resist Fear anymore.

I hit a Pit Fiend for 93 damage and it died. What the??

10. Steppenwolf Gems: 3/31

Some corrections to the above:

The Potion of Insight is not really necessary. The option to control Time will still be given even if your Wisdom is at least 14.

And for those who do not know - all dragons in BG2 very susceptible to Lightning Bolts. Just remember to lower their magic resistances before you go casting any.

11. Steppenwolf Gems: 3/31

Some of the wishes the Genie offers to grant are simply 8th and 9th level spells like Contingency, Time Stop, Wail of the Banshee, and Shapechange.

Just for fun, I chose the power to Shapechange and proceeded to take part in "unauthorized use of magical energy" in Athkatla. Sure enough, the Cowled Wizards showed up, but they couldn't touch my character because he had transformed into an Iron Golem with 100% magic resistance. If you continue breaking the prohibition, they'll eventually send the highest mages of their order to deal with you - the Archmages Zallanora and Khollynus Paac, armed with Time Stops and Power Word Kills. If you defeat them, however, no more wizards will bother you.

Shapechange is also useful if you want to recover hit points quickly - turn into a Greater Wolfwere and you'll regenerate to your max within seconds. Very useful for tough battles.

12. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2021
  13. toast Gems: 7/31

I'd thought I'd made my self clear in the other posts, but all's I'm trying to say is that I really think we should get away from calling anything "cheating", unless it definitely exploiting a game bug.
    Steppenwolf's idea is a great one, though damnned expensive.

Play on!

14. Silroth Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] I hate to say this, toast, but for once I have to agree with you.

15. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    True, it´s really inventive and clever to cast timestop to beat up Firekraag undisturbed, congratulations Steppenwolf.

16. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I just sit there and think - what happened to you guys?
    "It is an exploit, because a fighter can't access a limited wish".
    DID YOU FORGET ABOUT KENSAI-MAGES? Now is you have one, you can do it absolutely legitimately - casting a breach and a time stop.
    Dismissed - end of discussion. Way to go, Steppenwolf!

17. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Bah, don't get me started on Kensai/mages!

;)

18. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

To round up the discussion. I think "Limited wish" is easily the best spell in ther game. I do think that killing a dragon with the Time Stop is an overkill, and using Shapechange to kill Cowled Enforcers is an overkill too.
    HOWEVER, I just managed to kill Kangaxx AND did the Twisted Rune in Chapter 2. For the first one I used Time Stop, and the Iron Golem for the Twisted Rune.
    Kangaxx took me 3 or 4 tries - tough su**er, Twisted Rune I did from the first run.
    Now my Kensai/Mage (drool) has all the nice stuff.

19. Silver Dragon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I attack sometimes when a creature is in neutral, thats OK. But I don't do that pausing there reaction time or whatever.(how do you do that anyway)

20. Shrike00 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I'd say any method that doesn't involve an obvious flaw (i.e. cloudkill in the dark) is not a cheat. Nobody (or dragon) would just sit in an acid cloud but they might ignore a quick spell if it didn't affect them.

I think it is a brilliant strategy as is the shapechange into an Iron Golem.

P.S. How long does the shapechange last?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.