1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

More In-Game Advertising?

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by chevalier, May 13, 2006.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    There's an E3-inspired article about game industry executives pushing for more in-game advertising at Yahoo:

Publishers will turn toward in-game advertising to support rising costs. Research firm Yankee Group estimates the market in 2010 will reach $732.5 million, up from $56.5 million in 2005.

Microsoft Corp., which recently acquired Massive Inc., a startup whose technology makes it possible to put advertisements in video games, believes the future for Xbox includes in-game advertising, said Kevin Browne, general manager of new media and franchise development for Xbox Live. "The cost to produce games is going up," he said during a panel discussion at E3. "You have to make it successful for publishers."

Read the rest at Yahoo.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I have no problem with in-game advertising, so long as it doesn't detract from the game itself. Car-racing games are a good example. I don't care if the car drives past some Coca Cola billboards. But I guess that might mean that CRPGs get less funding as it is much more difficult to advertise modern products in a non-modern setting.

"Butt-kicking for Pepsi!"

3. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

That reminds me of the Burger King ads and restaurants in NFS:MW.

I really don't give a damn about advertising in games, as long as they're not invasive.

But Harby, I actually agree with ya (yes, yes, as unlikely as it may seem! And before you rant, I just like poking fun out of you.) on the part about CRPG.

"I need a whopper. Magic does not nest well in an hungry mind"

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It makes great sense in some games - but if it gets into any of the games I actually plan on playing - Grrr!
    I'm thinking that I should just dump all of my hope/cash into the indie scene where they don't have to worry about making bajillions at the expense of the game...

5. chevalier

Media:
    I don't mind it if it doesn't stick out too much. Remember the almost dead (on PC) genre of platform games? They typically advertised some kinds of snacks or sweets or crisps or whatever. And it wasn't bad.

What's more, in games set in modern times, ads add to realism because you always see billboards in towns, t-shirts with ads, posters on walls, whatever. What point making up companies if you can advertise real ones for more realism with also material provided by them, so you don't have to design it? I think this is a good example.

But sadly, games in historical settings won't normally blend well with ads. Or anything with magic inside, a different world or whatever.

6. auril Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

There's an "indie scene" in gaming? Where?

7. chevalier

Media:
    There are some games like that but it looks like they aren't really the big stuff but more like I don't know... perhaps more like coding practice than something you would release for shops. Imagine a website made by designers for designers... just how much graphics and other crap would you see there? It would be easily accessible info loading fast and none of the stuff customers are given. Same with indie games, I think. ;)

8. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I think in racing games, sports games, and some online shooters (if the map is a city, for example), should be allowed to have them, but when I see a billboard for Pepsi in Athkatla, I'll rip ****.

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

auril: just google around for it.

The only 'indie' game I have is Mount&Blade (if you don't include the freeware games I've downloaded, which still are 'indie'), but it's awesome - www.taleworlds.com
    I might have a look at Spiderweb Software's games at some point though, having heard good things...

and chev, I fear you're badly misinformed :p

10. chevalier

Media:
    I like that one! It's still obvious it doesn't have a big budget but it doesn't have to, anyway. I sort of like those game that don't reek of cash spent on cosmetics. ;)

11. auril Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.