1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Mindflayers

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by xnnixq, Jul 20, 2003.

1. xnnixq Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Uh, I'd like to know what is the most powerfullest way to defeat Mindflayres without them touching you. . I know that Invocation/Evocation works on em' but doesent kill them quickly. :bang: Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

2. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

If you have a effecient backstabber you can try to stealth them: cast haste, chaotic commands and other combat buffs, sneak up behind a mind flayer and kill it (if it doesn't die, it'll probably get morale faliure). Then run away, hide in shadows and do it all over again - obviously you have to keep your party at a safe distance... I took out the mind flayer lair in the sewers with my assassin like this.

You can also fire some area damage spells into the room (again prot. by chaotic commands) but a) mind flayers have some magic resistance b) it's slow (like you wrote) and c) it's a pretty cheesy way to do it.

But the most simple way to do it is to take your two best warriors, buff them up with chaotic commands, haste and prot. from evil (their mind draining are less effecient when prot. by evil - I think) and lure the flayers out a couple at a time. If one of the warriors gets drained, pull back and let the other one finish them off... If he has a two handed weapon he can still attack from a safe distance. Characters with low INT, like Minsc, will die instantly if they are mind drained so you have to a) use another or b) drink a few potions of INT...

Of course this isn't exactly 'without them touching you' but I've never had trouble with mind flayers.

3. xnnixq Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Yeah, thanks. I just figured it out myself by getting my two dwarves, haste them and use Azuredge and Hangards Axe. Thanks.

4. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Remember that crappy short sword in Umar Hills you get for saving that Cowled Wizard from his golem? Ilbratha I think it was called. Well one of its powers was Mirror Image. VERY VERY useful for an already AC twinked, non-spellcasting fighter against Mind Flayers.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Chaotic commands, they're piece of cake after that. ;) You will need only 1 cc spell if you equip the shield of harmony and the ring of free action on your fighters, keeping them some distance away from your spellcasters.

6. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Haha, at the first look I thought you meant cc's, like in a motorcycle :lol:

7. spoogemonkey Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

uh..... but don't the mind flayers travel with umberhulks in tow... and brain golems, too?

Chaotic Commands won't protect you from them...

8. Arian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Summons make it pretty easy. IIRC, skeletons are immune to their intelligence drain/devour and have enough magic resistance to not have a problem with their domination/stun. They can take on plenty, especially if the caster is over lvl 14. Another choie is the Invisible Stalker. I dunno why, but I've never had him killed by int drain or charmed or stunned. One of them can kill around 5 of'em without any problems. Another one that is a lot of fun, if you have greater deathblow and some sort of area of affect weapon (fireseeds from the druid spell works) you can turn on greater deathblow, throw a seed, watch them all die. Works almost as effectively with bows too if you don't have seeds. (very good idea, credit goes to Userunfriendly) Of course, cloudkilling the fog of war works. If you can backstab, sneak up, stab, run away (need haste of course), rinse and repeat. Once you figure out a few ideas they become pretty easy with any class. As far as the Umber Hulks, hold monster works pretty well. I think I took a few out with death spell sometimes, been awhile since I played a straight mage so I just melee'em nowadays. Brain golems...ehh...there aren't too many of those. ;)

9. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Death spell will take out all the umberhulks with one simple casting.

10. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Cloudkill does it most of the times to.
    They have very bad saving throws it seems.

11. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Any troubles just summon a few Morkendiens (sp?) Swords... they are immune to pretty much any damage and one Chaotic Commanded they cant be held etc... either that or use Death Cloud etc (most of time, when you find Mindflayers, you find room in which to lock them in whilst your area of effect spells get to work ;)

12. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I found that killing Mord's Swords will give you amulets that, when used, protect you from any mental attacks. That can be handy.

The best Illithid killing I ever had though was when my main character was a Skald. His song protected from everything but the intelligence drain once he got high enough

13. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

mindlamers are way easy. use a WAND of cloudkill as they cannot resist it. 10 charges maximum and the whole nest is whiped out.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.