1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neverwinter Nights 2 Post-Release Interview Part 1 at NWVault

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by chevalier, Nov 21, 2006.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    NWVault has teamed up with NWN2 Warcry for an interview with Obsidian on Neverwinter Nights 2. Here's an excerpt:

2. With one patch already released and at least one other in development, can you give us some insight on the process that comes with creating the patch?
    [Ryan] Typical developer stuff here. We scour through the forums and find any issues that are new besides any outstanding issues we moved to a later patch. We get those issues into our database and weep a little. Then we prioritize them. Certain bugs will get more attention than others, e.g. "Teh Magik Shoppie" versus launching the game and formatting your harddrive.
    We assign programmers to fix the bugs. They weep. Then we gather all the assets together and test the builds for a few days to make sure we didn't introduce anything really bad in our attempt to make things better.

It has always been Obsidian's goal to make sure that we support the community. You bring up the "At least one" patch in development. I can tell you right now, we will have dedicated personnel for at a 'few' more patches. We want to make things as clean (and balanced) as possible and we want to do it in a timely fashion.

It is my impression that both sides of the conversation are trying to ignore the plentiful criticism by community members much the same as it is with just a couple of reviewers rating the game below 8.

Just look at this:

9. What has been the most widely criticized by the community and do you take that into consideration for future development of the game?
    [Tony Evans] People who have reached the end of the game may have been surprised by one of the game's two main endings. I can only be about as clear as mud regarding Obsidian's plans for future development, but I can tell you there is a good reason why it is such a departure from the typical RPG ending.
    Obsidian is working on, as Sarah McLaughlin says, "building a mystery." And you wouldn't want us to reveal too much too soon because, to quote Tad Williams, "He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder."

There's nothing else I can say on this subject, but let's seeā€¦ who else can I quote?

"Eb-dee eb-dee eb-dee eb-dee - That's All Folks!"

They can't seriously thing that the OC endings are the most criticised thing. If that were true, the game would be a huge success. The most criticised thing is the bugginess and crappy performance and the requirements to results ratio. Just for the sake of spelling things out. Not like I'm not looking forward to playing the game, but let's be honest for a while.

Read the rest at NWVault.

2. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You can soooo tell that he's personally been reading the forums :lol:

3. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I don't like that the crowd who yells the loudest are the ones who make out your opinion, Sir Chevalier.

Reading the main forums of any game a few months after a game has been released, does something to ones brain. Which is why I try not to enter such a hazardous zone. The constant posts of how crappy the game is, shows up everywhere because everybody else is playing the game and having fun - only checking the forum when at work. And they don't really feel like posting, since the nay sayers are currently occupying the forum. Sometimes you can see them try to lurk in a few words, afraid of getting attacked by trolls.

Such is the curse of a public game forum.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I don't see why you'd be afraid of posting if you're having fun with the game (of equally, if you aren't). The situation right now on our boards is that seemingly there are more negative than positive opinions, but at least here no one is shouting down or calling names those who complain about the game (or not much, anyway). Try criticizing on BioWare's forums and see the rabid fanboys tear you apart... That, in my perspective, is even worse.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    How does that make the OC endings the most criticised part actually, as opposed to what is really criticised, i.e. graphics, requirements and camera? You can agree or not with whether that criticism is valid, but it doesn't make it disappear.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

And most of the criticism here has been very specific (not a vague "it's crap"). I think I would post more if I was having fun. I have probably posted most about IWD2 on these boards, because that is the game I enjoy the most.

7. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Yes, sorry - I misread. The OC ending is probably the last thing I have heard anything about. I read between none existing lines and I take back what I said.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.