1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A History of Dungeons & Dragons Online

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by Urithrand, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Anyone who plays Dungeons & Dragons Online today will know that the game is constantly undergoing a series of changes, from hotpatches to new quests, even rule tweaking. Over at Ten Ton Hammer, one of the board members known as Darkgolem has posted a history of the major changes in the game, ever since the first whispers of beta were heard (and giving us a few nice screenshots to look at). Have a look:

Reflecting upon DDO since I played it in Beta, there have been a lot of changes that have occurred in the game which are interesting to remember. A lot of strides have been made in the game toward making the game more fun, interesting and diverse since it came out. Not all the changes have been ones I have liked, but overall they have been pretty good. So I thought I would run through some of them, to give our readers who have not been along for the whole ride a bit of perspective toward how far DDO has come.

September 2004:

This is the oldest statement I could find regarding Dungeons and Dragons being put into beta. I immedeatly registered on the web page, and followed it’s threads occasionally, but that’s about it. Pretty much all that was available for many months to follow were fragments of information about what was to come. There were a lot of comments about action points, which no one really “got”. The big thought on the forums were some theorizing on builds, and whether a party full of clerics with a single rogue would be overpowered (because they could summon lots of summoned monsters, heal themselves, and so on). If you ever wonder why summoned monsters are so wimpy, blame that thread, since the developers read it and (I speculate) acted upon it.

Whether you're an old player reminiscing, a new player catching up on what's been happening to date or just interested, it's worth a look.

2. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

My first experiences with D&D were of course pen & paper. However, alot is to be said about playing D&D in an online environment. For one, it is a lot easier to become your character in an online environment as you are not visually face to face. You can BE your character, delve deeply into the fantasy and also visualize the characters you are playing with as they would have you visualize them rather then your view. There is an element to online play that expands on the game, making it more a play on one's imagination, more... real...

I had alot more fun playing on mirc than I ever did playing pen & paper, and much more fun than playing Baldurs Gate. It is way too versitle and customizable to label once it gets into the online environment. Each game/session becoming its own version of D&D. It is all imagination as it was and should be.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.