1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What would you like to see in Dragon Age?

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by chevalier, May 27, 2004.

1. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Aikanaro: You mean like the Fatigue system in Arcanum? I find that very annoing, because you cannot do a flying **** when you've spent all your fatigue, then you just drop to the floor and get whacked...

Only thing wrong with KOTORs force system, was that it regenerated too quickly... Once you ht lvl 10 jedi, you'd never be low on mana...

2. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

How about something to make magic something more then "Point finger at group of generic enemies, shoot fireball, enjoy the smell of napalm in the morning?" I'm thinking something along the lines of BG 2's Wild Surge system, only maybe not quite so frequent. Not so oftenm that it's irritating, but enough that it's always in the back of your mind. I'll tell you what, I never looked at a spell quite the same way after trying a Wild Mage in BG 2.

Really long range spellcasting. Does it really make sense that any mage with enough brains to outsmart a pet rock is going to be right behind the front lines, trying to cast while enemy archers try to plink him? No, I want to be the one standing on the battlement of a besieged castle, hurling blazing balls of eldritch death at my enemies a half-mile a way. Bwa ha ha ha!

Sorry. Okay, I'm calm now. But seriously, I want magic to EPIC. When I see an enemy mage (which I would want to be rarely), I should need to check my armor for acidents. In short, make magic users to really high end of the power scale in every non-physical way. An enemy mage should be enough to make you begin eying the Quickload button, and when you get a mage, it should make you start giggling fiendishly.

Pretty much everything else I'd like to see that I can think of has already been said. I like the resting to regain spells thing, but I want them to actually be memorized as I rest. If I'm interrupted two hours into my rest, I doggone well want to have two hours worth of spells re-memorized. It'd also be nice then, if I could decide what order I wanted my spells memorized. Do I want to start with my 200th level Flaming Ball o' Fiery Death, Doom, Destruction (TM)that takes five hours on its own? Or do I want to memorize a bunch of quickly learned low level spells first? Or do I want to compromise and take care of mid level spells first? I'd like that.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Well, paladins. I have some issues with how paladins have been implemented in D&D. Maybe they'll be better in DA.

- holy healing touch doesn't work on self, as a matter of basic decency

- it's not level and CHA mod that make a paladin; laying hands amount in form of CHA mod multiplied by level isn't right

- immunity to disease is not really well backed in the sources; Cure Disease should be tied to healing touch more closely

- auras aren't actually a bad idea

- Divine Grace save boost gives the right idea

Paladins don't have to be minor divine casters. They don't have to be casters at all. In CRPGs, they're given too much leeway in moral things. Hope it's going to be taken care of in DA.

If we are at divine magic, it should look more like praying for powers to be channelled. Still, some chosen saints can be given powers to reside with them. No memorising aforechosen spells, anyway. Also, the deity should be able to override any and all channelling of his power.

Rangers: something should be done to avoid the majority of rangers being doomed to short swords, daggers and the like, as in D&D 3-3.5E. Rangers don't have to be casters.

Bards: they should sing more than cast. Songs and lore, casting isn't a necessity. Might be refreshing to see non-caster bards.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I've never played as a mage in Arcanum (or even gotten very far in it as anything else, for that matter). However, to fix the problem of falling over and getting smashed, all you need to do is not cast
    Maybe using magic could be a last resort thing, and using it would have some kind of consequence. Make magic very rare (though I'm sure this would annoy a good deal of people ... bah, see if I care)

5. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] You know what else I'd like to see? Quarterstaffs made into viable weapons. I have yet to see or play a game where a quarterstaff is a viable weapon choice for a warrior-type. In BG 2, in Morrowind, in every other RPG, the best you can hope for is a quarterstaff with a nice castable enchantment.

6. chevalier

Media:
    Indeed, staff is a great weapon.

7. Harlas Nar Hallas Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

*Laughs*

Actually, I remember a friend of mine who pulled a nasty trick on his DM in a 3.0 D&D game. He was outta spells, and he pulled out a spellbook that he had gotten off a dead wizard and ripped out the pages, using it as a scroll vending machine, sorta.

*Rip* Fireball! *Rip* Mirror image!

Hahaha..

On topic, how about the ability to go into random houses, like in BG1. What else... Uhh, that map marking thing, and possibly realistic weight for scrolls and arrows. I find it hard to believe that carrying a scroll case filled to the brim with scrolls is going to weigh nothing.

8. chevalier

Media:
    Containers are supposed to be extradimensional in those D&D games :D

The ability to go to every house on the map, or nearly every one, is strange. It's unrealistic. You should be able to knock and have them open for you or something. In Might and Magic, you pressed on the door and got dialogue options, without entering. It changed with MM9, however.

9. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Problem with that though is that thieves have nothing to do.

To the other extremety of course it morrowind in which you could actually do everything, but that's possible in complete 3d first person. Maybe something in the middle is needed for Dragon age.

I wonder what the roofs are made of in the world of Dragon Age, I mean it is the age of dragons, we can't be expecting thatched roofs can we?

10. chevalier

Media:
    Well, the best option would be to have people approach you immediately when you enter their houses uninvited. A couple of such unwanted entries should get you in trouble. They would think you're looking to steal something IRL, I think. Eh, knocking is the way ;)

11. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Arcanum had a nice option for the sneaking thief to get in via the window.

A thief should be able to use it's sneaking skills to circumvent your knocking system or approaching when entering system.

12. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

As long as they dont get influenced by NWN to much this can only end well. KoTOR is a great game, and we all know that the BG series is the best RPG game ever made to a PC.

I read about this game yesterday for the first time and ran to my bro to tell the great news.

"This may the the spiritual continuation of Baldurs Gate" it said.
    And well, GIVE ME THE GAME ALREADY! :D

What I hope to see.

Same spellsystem they used in BG.
    (Componenet/Reagents or mana sucks)
    Since they will create a new rule system I can´t say much about that. D&D rules is nice, so hopefully it´ll be pretty close to that. Atleast I hope it is something you will be able to calculate as easy.
    A big, big, world. I wouldn´t mind if this game took 500 hours to complete. The more the marrier.
    As for equipment I hope it´s like in BG, but with the differance that there will be more magical weapons in the categories where you didn´t have to many in BG. Clubs and such, so there will be a choice. Not just go with long swords cuz there are most of those. (I´ll probably go with long swords the first time anyway though, I always tend to when I play a game for the first time)
    I hope they also take influences from Fallout. Perks, every now and then, and a trait or two at creation, (as mentioned), would be very cool.

Dont know if they have set a release date yet, the paper said they didn´t even had a publisher announced yet, but this is the game I have waited for since I completed BG2 for the first time.
    Or atleast I hope it will be ;)

13. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Alright. I've read almost all the posts here (took a while though) and now I just have to let it all out. I'd love to see more rogue quests, and I don't just mean walk to this house, turn on stealth and easily walk past all the guards and open a simple lock. I mean true thievery! That is examining the guards schedule's and timings, having to follow shadows in order to stay in shadows, as opposed to turning on a mode and walking where you want. Maybe being able to go on roofs. Some alleys, I have seen too few alleys in the games I've played, when in cities in those days, they had plenty!

Guilds and Orders and stuff are fun, when done right. BG2 was on the right track, lets see that but some more. And oh yes, being able to pay a smithy to get items.

How's about some realistic weapons. In ordinary NWN the only realistic weapons, are the first appearnce. All the other ones have all this crapy stuff and esigns added to it. CEP had the right idea by creating real useadle weapons. And what about fighting styles that suit your appearance and class? In NWN, you can have a fat half-orc barbarian doing a nice jump kick. WHAT?! Add some moves that suit the character.

And if they make dragons, make them right! Look at BG, BG2, IWD2, NWN and so on, the dragons suck. In IWD there is a dragon skeleton that is nice and big. And I hate how you can make a character that can single handedly slay a dragon, when that is reserved to the most powerful the Realms has to offer. Make dragons a ture obstical to overcome as they are for the most part, beyond the reach of almost all single adventurers. To some up for the dragons, bigger and more powerful.

And one last thing, customized characters. As previous stated, lots of variety in appearance, and how about skills? In NWN, to have a character with a who has custom feats, you need to become uber man! More feats that define a character in lower levels, please! And everything everyone else said. Great ideas everyone!

14. Baldur McGate Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I`d like to see a different combat system, not click-n-fight. It should have the dice system, but you should have some direct control, like different slashes or kicks or even crushes. :p You could control attacks with ur keyboard like in POP 3D: A=up slash, S=Slash, D=Crush, Q=Hack, W=Stab, E=Finishing move (or something).

15. Eltharodo Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I ask that there is roleplaying in it. This may just be me, but in BGII, I enjoyed the blossoming of a romance with my forlorn winged elf, not reading about it then trying it for myself. There should be these extras, but while they should not come in the form of party members going up to you and saying "I love you", there should be a system there are similar dialogs for everyone, but taking one option opens the door to romance. There should be less of the "people waiting in pub for handy adventurers" ideas. The world needs to be as natural as possible. Also, while we're on game worlds, there were two diffences between Athkatla and Neverwinter; Athkatla was a city with you in it, and neverwinter was a city that you had to save. When you are in a city not to save it, but to complete a mission <i.e meet a contact, find a comrade etc>, then it really lets the world open up and breath more.I find it depressing when there are people fawning around me, thnaking me for my aid! Let the choices you take effect what how people react; take the stand-off with the villain, the big pit fight route, and people love you. Asasinate him in his home, and remain annonymous. Gossip would also be good <overhead dialogues of people in the street would be ideal for this>.

16. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Like Rolsuk, I want dragons to be huuuge!! Like the skeleton I found in Durlags Tower, the dragons I saw in BG2 were not even half the size.

I want thieves to take less conventional routes, instead to be forced to walk on the street, they should climb on rooftops, and enter houses through chimneys or windows. Bards could earn money and fame by singing in taverns, or at duchal parties.
    And maybe they could let my characters to ride horses and swim and whatnot.

It would be cool to see commoners going on in a day to day live, eating, sleeping, working.
    If a alchemist noticed that he had no potions left, he would make them, out of ingredients?
    He would buy them from a merchant or get them himself from the forest, or a field.

17. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Icewind Dale and Arcanum had even bigger dragons, well skeletons but still, those sizes would me monstrous which they should be.

18. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The ideas here are great. One thing I didn't see:
    I don't like having to retrace my steps just to get XP for completing a quest. Sometimes necessary but often just a bore. :sleep:

Since I love thieves, more they can do. Won't repeat what's already been said.

19. Tardazor Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I will like another activities like hunting and fishing and the possibility of feel hungry.
    This will make the experience more realistic.
    And the possibility of play with a lot of races, not the vanilla elf, dwarf, etc., like IWD2 drows and duergars. And strange races like panthermans.

20. Baldur McGate Gems: 1/31

I`d like a half-bear type race :p

Or a doggy/wolfy

Or a cat/tiger

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.