1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is this then?

Discussion in 'Dragonshard' started by Baldur McGate, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Baldur McGate Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

So, this sounds interesting. Are there any info pages about this? Good to know that there is a game of the world of Toril for a strategy-fanatic (like myself :D )

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Nothing yet... there's practically no news yet either. So, stay tuned.

3. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

It's in Eberron I'm afraid :)

4. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

You'll find a kind of a preview at IGN. It's the only info I've found.

5. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    That does sound like an interesting twist!

6. Baldur McGate Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

WOW!!! This is interesting stuff, yes...

7. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

DWARVES WITH GUNS! B*TCHIN'!!!

That sounds fairly cool. My fellow gamers, I do believe the famine has passed. And just to think, we all persevered through it.

*buys a round for the house*

8. Blue Loon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

RTS, what the hell is going on?

9. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Never played Warcraft 3?

I just finished reading the GameSpy preview (screenshots included), and this is looking very interesting. Of all the upcoming D&D titles, this is certainly the one I'm most exited about.

10. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Am I the only who said, "What a new twist to D&D!" on the Eberron campaign setting and not the Dragonshard Wars? :lol:

This aside, Eberron seems to be a great setting for a D&D-based RTS, because it focuses on both war and political intrigue, so you may have a good game with good plot with stunning twists (Starcraft is the first thing that come to mind - "Fenix died? I refuse to believe that! Fenix can't die!")

However, I really do wish that there had been an D&D-based RTS in a normal setting (FR would probably be the best choice) to give this concept a test drive, so to speak.

But ultimately, I say, "D&D plus RTS? Biznitching."

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    It would be best to have a D&D RTS in Forgotten Realms, the setting that is associated with D&D the most easily when it comes to cRPG - just how many non-FR D&D computer games are there? FR is a good part of the reason why we want a D&D RTS. It isn't just the mechanics.

Eberron had better be tested in a cRPG first.

Time will show. I'm still fairly sure the game will be worth playing.

12. atari_dm Atari Community Manager

When I first got attached to this project I had the same opinion you did. Being a long time Forgotten Realms fan myself I wondered why they would use a new and as of yet untested world setting.

Well after a few months and having been playing in a Table top Ebberon game I know why.

Ebberon is actually REALLY cool. Keith Baker did a great job. Its very fresh and yet still D&D. The style and unique elements of our game also fit well into the setting.

If you have yet had a chance to sit down and read the Ebberon sourcebook I highly recommend it.

13. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

An RTS in Forgotten Realms is as good as it could get. A pity this one will not be... Indeed it's the mechanic, like FR which is why you want it, like chavalier points out. If you want fantasy RTS, you're good to go with WarCraft(3) or Warlords Battlecry(3), that last one still my favorite RTS of all time.

Dwarves with guns... I'm afraid I will hardly accept it. Eberron indeed promises to be cool, but I think guns other than good old gnome-powered gunpowder are not in place in D&D. But then again, this is me...

14. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

This will be cool... as long as the team takes it's time and it isn't kicked unto the streets half-baked by the publisher.
    It promises to show a couple of pretty novel things in RTS, and the world sounds cool a'plenty.
    I do think it's a pity there will be no tech evolution whatsoever, with all possible combinations available from day 1, but it's refreshing... just hope it's not going to be aching to get as many buildings hooked up to each other with the max. power of your soldiers determined by your city-planning ability....
    And it's important that the game, especially the battles, don't become chaotic, no matter how 'realistic' that would be, and that it doesn't become a click-fest unlimited either *cough*WC3*cough*
    The special abilities mechanic in AoM was _much_ better
    This could be a good way to introduce some of my die-hard RTS friends to D&D and even RPG's...
    BTW sweet that there's now a corporate representative on the BoM - are the guys *making* the game actually taking fan suggestions?
    :borg:

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  16. Woodwyrm Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

If you want Dwarves with guns and a somewhat medieval setting, try Arcanum ;) , oh here i go offtopic...

At any rate my interest is somewhat aroused by this game, i hope media won't hype TO much though. And i hope that the team won't fall over in their hurry to get a new breath of air into the RTS-genre.

I can only hope it will be a good game ;D

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You get dwarves with rifles in Warcraft 3 and yet many people would have preferred the archers with arrows from the previous parts of the saga. I guess it isn't a bad idea, so long as gunpowder is limited to dwarves or is otherwise made exotic. Gunpowder is the very reason why the age of knights and castles came to an end and so it is not reasonable to keep both gunpowder and traditional mediaeval warfare in an RPG setting. Add magic on top of it and you're in for lots of unrealistic mess. That's why I tend to be skeptical towards any idea of making gunpowder any less than totally exotic and/or insanely expensive.

18. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Simply to imagine today's world with magic would change the face of modern combat to extremes. A gun would be useless against a mage with 'protection from missiles' or a cleric with 'physical mirror' (ouch time for snipers). So it is understandable that melee combat would play a large role in a world with technology and magic.

19. Kam Gems: 15/31

I'm gonna have to sorta disagree with you there chev. The gun was the end of the era of the armored knight and castle... In real life. Take a fantasy history though, one with magic, and bizzare, exotic materials more making armor, and I could easily imagine them coexisting. Would there have to be drastic changes, at least in battle tactics? yes, but they aren't mutually exclusive.

20. Kam Gems: 15/31

Obviously, the magic system would need to be tweaked a little to maintain a balance of power.

Example: Gropthar the Mage casts Protection from Missles. Jacko the Gunner hurridly swaps out his ammo for magical ammunition to break through the defenses, etc, etc. Just like in, say, BG2 when some mage whips out a protection from normal weapons. Time to pull out the Flaming Longsword of +9 Fiery Doom, Death, and Destruction.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.