1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which mod would you like to see reviewed?

Discussion in 'Mod Reviews' started by Taluntain, May 5, 2004.

1. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I did UB, and that's not completely finished, so I don't think it's a rule per se. It's probably more in place so that beta versions of really good mods don't get crappy reviews.

Caaaaan't wait for Dragonlance mod (Glory of Istar I mean).

I'd better start getting back into reviewing. The reviews of late have been... well, there haven't been any reviews of late.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Exactly... so what are all you people waiting for? I've seen dozens of posts here longer than most reviews, so what are you afraid of?

3. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Valen is done, for all of you that asked (I even threw in screenshots!) It'll be up by tommorow I'd think.

C'mon people! Let's get some action in this forum!!! What do you want? More reviews! When do you want 'em? Right now!

4. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

5. Vengeance Incarnate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I'd like to see G3's Kivan of Shilmista mod reviewed.

6. Andyr Gems: 14/31

I think Domi still considers that a beta - though I may be wrong. It'd be best to ask her first.

7. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I am planning another run through baldur's gate I, so I'd like to review a mod if possible but I don't know if there are any left. If so let me know and I'll take a shot at it.

I'd really like to play the BGNPC project though. Couldn't we just review the first phase and when phase II comes out update the review??

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well apart from those we have reviews of up, all are still up for grabs, since no one is working on any reviews at the moment. Just read my sticky for info on how to apply.

As for the "BGNPC project", sorry, but there are so many finished mods out there already that reviewing half-baked ones really doesn't make sense.

9. Andyr Gems: 14/31

BG1 NPC project is in a fully playable state - there is additional material which is being incorporated into new versions, but there's a lot of content in there already. It's similar to Unfinished Business in that regard.

10. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

I'm playing it now and am willing to review it. Tal...your call!

11. Taluntain

Media:
  12. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

If I ever get around to having time to finish them, I'd be more than happy to write up reviews for the Penultima and Penultima Rerolled mods. That's IF I ever get time to finish them ;)

13. Caedwyr Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

A couple mods I'd love to see reviewed are the following:

Check the Bodies
    Neverending Journey (All parts)
    Shadows over Soubar

Ever since I installed and attempted to play TDD, I've been extremely wary of any of the humongous mods out there. I've got a definate bias that prefers quality over quantity, and the sheer size of these mods makes me think that quantity is what is aimed at by these mods. Also the large download sizes is offputting, since I don't want to waste my bandwidth on something that I won't enjoy playing.

14. Ashara Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

While I deeply resent calling BG1NPC Phase I and II as 'half-backed' mod, since it was postulated well before to the release that the work will be released in Phases, and the content of every Phase was layed out, planned and executed with only minor omissions to meet the release deadlines (and added different content to compensate for these omissions), I think that the impact of the mod will be the greatest when all provided features are applied together. Indeed, even now, in Phase I and Phase II BG1NPC gives you a glimpse of how the conceptual idea will be realised in quite a hefty package of some 2000 dialogues between joinable and non-joinable NPCs, additional encounters, PID's, visual and audio gameplay enhancements.

I have read through SP's reviewing policy and one clause in particular asks the reviewer to play with as many features of the mod as possible. Until the release of Phase III "all features' will be unavailable.

Another clause states that the reviewer should be willing to update his or her review if the mod undergoes changes. I believe that postponing reviewing of BG1NPC till such time when Phase III is released will save a reviewer going back and updating the review to include his or her experiences with such an unusual in BG modding thing as simultaneously writen and implemented multiple romances for both male and female character or such an important part as NPC personal quests, majority of which are being implemented in Phase III.

The goal of BG1NPC is to replicate 'realism' of NPCs in BG2 for BG1. I believe that it had not been yet acheived by Phase I and Phase II. The mod is being diligently worked on and it is quite close to its completion.

15. Taluntain

Media:
    No need to deeply resent anything, as it was not meant as anything even remotely offensive. I was speaking about reviewing unfinished mods in general, not just about your mod.

And since in the other 3/4's of your post you sum up that the mod shouldn't be reviewed yet, you are basically saying exactly what I said originally - that the mod isn't finished yet, and that the review should wait. So I really don't understand what the problem here is, considering we are in total agreement. Apeman never sent a review in anyway, so if we ever do a review at this point, it'll be of the final version.

16. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

I actually played through phase I entirely but as I finished, phase II just came out and I've been doubting to either make the review or play through phase II with a completely different party. After these two posts though I'll just hold until phase III. I still want to do the review though when Phase III is out.

17. Andyr Gems: 14/31

Apeman: Yeh, work on Phase III is going well so hopefully you shouldn't have to wait too long! :)

[ December 23, 2004, 15:11: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

18. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Any further comments not directly related to the original topic (which mods people would like to see reviewed) will be deleted, as this topic topic has been getting derailed by replies which should have been directed to me in PM and were a direct violation of our forum rule #21. The people whose replies have already been deleted once (but have continued to re-post and argue in this thread) will be banned if they reply here again. We are not playing games here, and I do not take kindly to mod makers testing my and other moderators' patience.

[ December 23, 2004, 16:00: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Check the Bodies.
    The Longer Road.

20. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    NWN modules and PWs, please.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.