1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #98

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Beren, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I'm getting better at what I do, and what I do ain't pretty. I'm reading them bar-codes in those books like a bat out of hell.

Oh yes, I'm an eeevil librarian... :evil:

2. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Re DST purpose, some of our esteemed Congressional members believe it increases the daylight. No kidding, that's what one of them was quoted as saying: "more daylight is better." The more intelligent ones seem to think that having the hours shifted results in an energy savings due to a "later" sunset time, thus a later time for lights to be turned on in the evening. Alas, for those of us on the western edge of the time zone, it means that for most of the school year our children are getting on the bus in the dark in the morning, resulting in several deaths of kids struck by cars just in Tennessee every year. :flaming:

I should just shut up already. Except I'm babbling, of course.

3. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I agree about the daylight saving, I think it is a stupid idea. But at least in the fall we put the clocks back an hour so we feel like we are sleeping in for at least one day :D .

4. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Wait, revmaf, does this mean we set them forward on Sunday so we lose an hour of sleep or backwards so we gain one?

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    IIRC, it's still around because of energy conservation or something like that. I remember hearing all sorts of BS about it when congress decided to extend it. :bad: :rolling:

6. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Damnit, why do shops stop selling booze at 10pm??

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Spring forward, Fall back. That's how I remember to switch the clocks. You go back 1 hour next week.

So the glasses can get some sleep?

8. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Not here! There are actually 24 hr liquor stores around here. Not that I ever go to them anymore. I don't even usually drink coffee at night.

9. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

The people that work in the liquor store want to hit the bar too, you know...

10. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Yeh, but, there are some 24h Supermarkets, so since they are open anwyay, they could still sell Booze, its just a silly law stopping them...

1000th POST YAY!

11. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    In Denmark you can't buy alcohol in most shops after 8PM - legally, that is! ;) I think it's to protect bars and restaurants.

12. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

DST is a prime example of 'borrowing from Peter to pay Paul' - it ostensibly saves on energy usage because it gets dark later in the day and thus the 'unwashed masses' only have to turn on their lights an hour later.

Also, I'd wager that the savings have since been nullified with people working differing shifts that include that 'lost hour' in the morning, as well as more working longer hours that stretch into the same time frame. Thus, these people have to turn lights on earlier.

Not to mention, all the lost productivity involved in adapting to DST (even when it's start/end hasn't been changed) further nullifies its value.

In the end we're left with yet one more way that The Man messes with the lives of The Common People; not even a bi-annual 'stationary jet lag', but changing when it happens so Joe and Jane Average can't get used to it. :p

ION, sorry if I sound excessively cynical today; at work I had my first migraine in several years.

Was distracted by the 'glare effect' so much (why does everything in my deli have to be stainless steel, scrubbed white plastic or silvered glass? And why do have to have so many BRIGHT overhead lights there?!? :lol: ) that I was told to go home...

...but it was just 1/2hr before the end of my shift, and took so long to get changed and stuff that I ended up walking only a short way before watching my usual ride drive past me to pick me up. :rolleyes:

So I trudged back and caught them before they left again. At least was fairly overcast and cold outside, so it wasn't too bad as long as I kept my hatbrim down as 'blinders' and clamped a hand over the crown of my skull - pressure seems to ease the throbbing; even though it feels like someone's squeezing my head in a vice, actually squeezing helps! :confused:

Anyways, after getting home later that I would if'n I'd had the sense to stay at the store, my darling, wonderful wife aided me - dark bedroom, cold damp facecloth for a 'sleep mask', and some company.

The best thing is a bit of tangent; she's been getting involved a little more online while I'm at work. The result of this is cold hands - I think her posture is such that she rests her wrists on the table while using mouse/keyboard so that the blood vessels get 'narrowed' and body heat isn't quite maintained. She's never noticed ANY other symptom, so I'm not too worried about it.

Indeed, it actually had a BENEFICIAL side effect yesterday: she started to massage my scalp and it felt even BETTER that a normal rub would - and likely my head was 'hot' and inflamed, accentuating the perceived temperature difference.

Anyways, after maybe twenty minutes dark rest, and less than five of 'icy head rub', I was feeling great! Almost normal, I just wore sunglasses for a hour or so as the last of it wore off and the aspirin finally kicked in (I think I've used the stuff too much in my life - it takes longer and longer to have an effect, the effect is getting less and less, and it lasts less and less time :( )

13. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Well, its almost 11:30 and I just got off work. Now to go get some sleep and wake up at 5am to go to a different job. At least Im raking in the money :money:

14. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Re DST, correct, go back one hour Saturday night/Sunday morning Nov. 3/4.

The problem on the west edge of the time zone is that under DST, today, the sun cam up at 8:00 AM. Next week, after DST, it will be coming up a little after 7:00 AM. The kids are waiting at the bus stops between 6:30 and 7:00 AM, some even earlier, so in the dark either way. Sorry, I need to just drop this!

Dalveen, yay for 1000! :thumb:

JE, man, I am so sorry about your migraine, but glad you found some relief when you finally got home. I have a different type of periodic severe headache and it just knocks you flat. And people who don't have them don't get it. You say, "I have a headache, I can't ..." and they look at you like you're a wimp.

Oh, well. Negative today, am I not? So I shall withdraw with dignity and allow all to babble on without me.

15. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

3 weeks to Judgement Day. :mommy:

16. Wiley One Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Well I'm here now, on my "business trip". I hope if I stay busy and get online more often, 6 months will pass quickly. At least I have you guys! :)

Guys.....guys....where is everyone?
    /sigh

17. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    We're here, Wiley One.

Sorry to hear about your headache, jaded empath, but glad to hear you got help at home. I get sinus headaches that are very debilitating so I can sympathize.

revmaf, cheer up, I was just told this morning that the world will soon end. :p So seek out your nearest and dearest and give them lots of love.

18. Wiley One Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

@ Nakia

Thanks, it seems you have support for everyone today! It makes life better to have a good outlook on it.

Well it is late and it took me almost 2 days to get here so I am off to get some sleep. See you all tomorrow hopefully.
    /turns off light and pulls cover up to chin....snore

19. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    It's cold in here. :bad:

I can't wait to either fix my laptop or get a new one...my parent's house sucks. :nolike: Anyone want to give me a $1000 so I can hurry up and buy a new computer? :rolling:

20. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

5am is far too early to get up for work. The world should not start until at least 9am. That my theory anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.