1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Universities in Canada

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Uytuun, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    I'm thinking about going to Canada to continue my studies (English lit - I've written my BA paper about a Canadian author/book and will be writing about the same guy/different book for my MA thesis, so that's why Canada) there next year and I was wondering what unis you Canadians think are the best ones for my subject.

Also, how expensive would a year (tuition, room, food etc.) be on average for someone studying in Canada? We're used to supercheap tuition fees (500 euro/year) here in Belgium, but I guess that there are scholarships.

2. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

At the U of S and other mid-sized unis. tuision for undergrad is around $2-2500 per term for a full load of classes. With board, your looking at roughly 10k per year as the absolute max - probably less.

The major issue in Western Canada these days is finding a place to stay. The dorms are there, but its likely hard to get in. Those living off campus are faced with really high rent thanks to housing shortages and people charging exuberant prices for their crappy\dilapidated rental homes.

Masters studies should be a little cheaper on the tuition side, and there are, as you mentioned, scholarships and such. Their is also funding if you qualify. Mark a few papers, lead a tutorial or two and get paid roughly 10k per year if you land it right.

As for universities in the East, I don't really know.

Out of curiosity, who is the author that you are researching?

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Actually the price would probably be higher than the figure that Celesialraven has come up with as foreigners generally are charged a lot more by the Canadian universities.

As far as which University would be best for studying literature - I really don't know. For the most part the Universities have reputations for being good at things like business, medicine, engineering, or computers and you never really hear anything about who is good at things like literature, philosophy, language studies etc.

For Ontario I would say that the University of Toronto is probably a safe bet as it is our version of the huge University that scoops up most of the charitable donations and thus has the money to have a decent program in just about every field.

4. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I assume, since you're studying English litt, that you want an english university? Well in the Montréal area there is two availables. I don't really know much about either of them however here's the link for their respective websites. (I hope you can find what you're looking for in them)

Also what JSBB said is correct a foreigner will be charged extra in universities, almost the double / year last time I heard.

Anyway;

Concordia university Mcgill university

5. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Agreed with what's been said about western universities for BC. Dorms need to be booked very early to ensure a spot, and living in Vancouver means really expensive rent. I think it's the same in Victoria. But there are two campuses out in the suburban area, U of Northern BC and UBC Okanagan, that should have lower living expenses in theory.

If you're afraid of freezing temperatures, you'd better come to the west coast :)

UBC This is the link for graduate studies at UBC. It gives a lower estimate of $10k for living in Vancouver, plus $7200 for international student tuition, per year. So I think you're looking at $20k to study at UBC...

6. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I hadn't realized how much more it was for international students. On closer inspection of the University of Saskatchewan (To add to the other mentioned universities for the sake of variety), the tuition estimate for for 8 months plus board is between $20,670.19 – 27,066.19. The a 12 page guide is found here
    Scholarships and such, here

So yea, my apologies, tuition is much higher than I'd imagined.

About the college. It's likely average in most regards. A fairly large Canadian lit. department (I am just familiar with the large range of Canadian-focused undergraduate classes offered). It can get ungodly cold in the winter (mid-west), but its a very beautiful campus.

Also, there's a potentially useful budget calculator here

7. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    And to convert the figures into Euro there is a currency calculator here.

8. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Stuff Canada, come to Scotland! :p

9. Darkstrike Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I would suggest checking out the Memorial University of Newfoundland. Tuition is cheaper than other Canadian universities and one of the better ones. It is a medium size campus and finding a place to live off campus is not difficult, however finding living quarters on campus could be a bit difficult. check it out. www.mun.ca

10. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Thanks you guys. It's pretty expensive. :s I'll have to look into all scholarship options (it's pure chaos) and have a word with my promotor I guess.

Dalveen: Maybe I'll do Scotland next year. :p

And the author I'm working on is Timothy Findley. I wrote about dystopian elements and intertextuality in /Headhunter/ last year and will be investigating the protagonist of /Pilgrim/ this year. I think I'll mostly focus on jungian influences and postmodernism.

Findley is totally unknown over here, I always have to order the books via Amazon. Additionally, there aren't that many articles on /Pilgrim/ in the databases I have access to, so I feel a bit like a pioneer. :p Perhaps there is a ton of information out there that hasn't found its way across the ocean, though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.