1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Monks and Barbarians

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Nightal, Jul 23, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nightal Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Could anyone please tel me what the monk and Babarian are?

2. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Hmm, they are new classes, based on 3d Edition AD&D-rules.
    These edition isn't here yet, but I believe you can find its day of release on this site...

3. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

3rd edition will be out on August 11th. Since the release date is so close to that of BG2, BG2 will not use any 3rd edition rules or characters. You will have to wait for PoR2 or NWN to play a CRPG with 3rd edition.

4. Silksteel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Simply put, the monk is Bruce Lee and the barbarian is Conan, you can figure out their abilities from there I'm sure.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    To contradict Voltric there, I have to inform you that BG2 will have some 3rd edition only characters (how they'll be implemented is another story altogether, though).
    The new classes you'll be able to select are Monk, Barbarian and Sorcerer.

6. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] I stand corrected. I guess your FAQ is out of date then. Where did you get the new info? I didn't find anything about it on interplay's site. Please let me know.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Actually that's written in my Guide to Kits... read about it there (intro page).

8. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The monk will be an expert, chisled, and very agile short range fighter.

The barbarian is fairly self explanatory.

The sorcerer is a powerful magic user.

9. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Does anyone know the fundamental difference between a Sorcerer and a Mage? To me they seem to be one and the same. Are there different sorcerer spells or something?

10. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

A Sorcerer (and this is in 3rd edition speak) will be different by a mage because a Sorcerer's Spell Abilities will be of an inate nature.

So a Sorcerer at 1st level will be able to know 1 spell and always cast 1 spell, regardless of memorization. Some what like a priest from my understanding.

A mage can know 1 spell, but his ability to learn any spell from a scroll is his advantage, where as a Sorcerer, because it is an inate ability, gets certain spells while his advantage is being able to cast it anytime, anywhere, all the time.

Sylvus

11. Slipper Gems: 1/31

Actually, Monks have been around since the very early days of 2nd edition AD&D. For a full description see the Players Guide. Mine is a 1982 edition. I ran a Monk (Brother Tetrades) for years. 3rd edition might update them, but they're definitely not a new character class.

12. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Actually both the monk and Barbarian are from 1st Ed. I think that's what you ment since 2nd did not come out until 1988. Both are from Unearthed Arcana (sp?) That book put the nail in the coffin of 1st Ed. all the new classes in their were to powerful and real screwed up. I hope they get it right this time. Does anyone else remember that old classes? What did you think? Your feeling about the new ones?

13. Slipper Gems: 1/31

Actually, Monks have been around since the very early days of 2nd edition AD&D. For a full description see the Players Guide. Mine is a 1982 edition. I ran a Monk (Brother Tetrades) for years. 3rd edition might update them, but they're definitely not a new character class.

14. Slipper Gems: 1/31

Sorry, you're right Voltric. I got my 2nd edition book in 1988. But they are there.

15. hooligan_inc Guest

[​IMG] I've actually done a history project on Monks and some of the stuff I found out could put you off playing them for life.

16. Cog Primius Guest

[​IMG] my brother was a monk and he killed jon sooo easy here is his team:
    Taurmindo ; Monk
    Aeire ; Druid i think
    Jan Jansen ; Illusonist/Cleric
    Imoen ; Thief/Mage

17. corbulo87 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

please dont revive 2 month old topics, it pisses ppl off

18. Taluntain

Media:
    If it were just two months, heh. It's a YEAR AND TWO MONTHS, this one. :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.