1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Opinions on Jaheira

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Beren, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Jason Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

As a member of a good party I think she's okay, but if ur evil definitely replace her with someone more powerful, what annoys me is having to wait for everything in her romance to happen. Otherwise if ur in the underdark when Dermin and his posse appears it can ruin the whole traveling undercover thing.

2. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

but the romancing quests are paused when you go to spellhold...

3. komei Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Jaheira sucks apart from the air elemental spell, useful early on, but I nearly always replace her.

Plus, shes pretty old and so her romance suits people in their 30's and 40's rather than those in their teens and 20's... ;) IMHO

Viconia and Aerie are much better romances for the younger ones ;)

4. Saruman Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I don't like her. Who needs a druid anyway? :D
    I rather take Viconia or have the protagonist Cleric...

5. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] komei wrote
    I'm confused by your use of smilies here. The smilie indicates that you're joking and at the same time you write "IMHO", indicating that you are serious.

As for their ages compared to the age of the player I don't think your generalization is correct.
    I am in my "30's and 40's" but my first romance was with Aerie based on her background and portrait. After trying all three romances my preference is Viconia, who initially was my last choice - although I still dislike the portrait. I hate the Baywatch/Playboy type and I imagine Viconia would have big fake ones if the picture showed her full body.

My point is that someones age does not determine what that person likes.

I hesitate to bring this up, but some people actually roleplay the protagonist! Imagine that! :p

[ December 08, 2002, 22:20: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

6. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

errm... just as you know... Viconia have the greatest picture of them all... then i mean ALL pictures of all the games...

7. Saruman Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I agree, she is hot!

I hate Aerie's romance, it's like one of those romantic movies that make me sick.

8. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Well, Ivanji, son of Loki and Saruman, it's great that not everyone has the same taste isn't it? :)

9. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well Jaheira does have a decent amount of divine druidic spells, can shapeshift, a semi-decent healer, and can defend herself so I won't have to babysit her like Cernd.

10. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I really tried to like Jaheira...I really did. I'm forcing myself to romance her this time through just so I can say that I've done it and maybe it will change my opinion. I really feel like I'm babysitting her all the time, and that annoying accent...grrsh it grates on my nerves. And her portrait isn't half-bad even with the corn-row thing, but if they got rid of that I certainly feel that she would be an attractive NPC. But that voice...It's almost as bad as Aerie's ethreal whine.

11. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well even though Jaheira's portrait was one of the best in BG1, it was far better in BG2 which came as a positive surprise. However, her romancing didn't really get to me for the first few goes of the game simply because I couldn't help but feel that my protagonist was a lame replacement for Khalid, or that I was actually using Jaheira when she still hadn't recovered from Khalid's death.

Other than that I've never seen her as a hindrance to my party. She has all the healing and blessing that I need what with the potions and all (I really don't see a need for a full-fledged healer in this game), and she does pretty well with the fighting as well thanks to the fact that she's the only one using shields. Meaning I give her the privilege of highest ac by granting her with the best of items for this purpose.
    In other words, she's not useless. Especially if you go for a smaller party instead of the full six members -type. Here it's a pretty good idea to "recruit" only those who are able at many things at once. Imoen, Jaheira in your party gives you as the protagonist to play as about whatever it is you want since you allready have all the essential groups in. Only in ToB will Imoen's thieving abilities be left too much behind for the special stuff to enhance them enough any longer, for the most difficult of locks and traps at least.

12. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Jaheira is IMHO the best of the three - a romance that you have to work a little bit for, and she is a hottie. I'd like to take her back to my druid grove and show her my "special tree"...

13. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

What can she do that a cleric can't? Have fighter abilities and druid abilities of course. And then there's your very own argument Earl Grey, which i do support BTW, some people actually like to roleplay.
    She can use shapeshifts (pretty useless IMO), the different spells, and different, if restricted weapons.
    Thats all I'm willing to put into it before this gets into a really big debate (I knew something would spark one and I'm not joining it) and I'll leave my opinions there.

I find her useful and she pulls her weight in my party.

14. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I like Jaheira ^_^

She can cast decent spells, fights pretty well, her portrait isn't all that bad :rolleyes:

And also my protaganists mainly like her, two see her as a sort of mother, one sees her as a friend, one sees her for romance and two can't stand her.

15. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Thanks for all the opinions,

Especially the supportive ones. Its nice to know that there are some who agree with me after all these months of swimming in a sea of "I hate Jaheira!".

16. Wargon Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I like Jaheira , but I did find that I had to baby sit her at lower levels. Once she past approximately 10th level, she became a decent enough fighter with plenty of spells , offencesive & defensive. Now I find her quite usefull for a third fighter or a " medic " as some put it, or just backing everyone up with a decent sling.

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Greetings.

Does anyone know why those at Bioware actually gave Jaheira so low WIS and INT stats? As for my impression from dialogues she's between 12-14 int and rather not below 16 wis. If any fixes known apart from just cheating the scores, please let me know. (I'm considering making a mod providing some excuse to change the stats for example BACK to bigger or REVEAL she's in fact higher ones)

18. Mantis Gems: 1/31

Jaheira is an awesome character IMO. She becomes the best fighter early in SoA - but Minsc and Keldorn surpass her as the game goes on.

Early in SoA I equipped her with Girdle of Giant Strength, the Scimitar+2 which gives her an extra attack per round, and the sling of seeking that enables her to add her STR bonus to missile attacks. She can also summon fire elementals early on, this I found invaluable. Add healing, insect plague and other awesome spells - she is always in my party.

Later in the game her THAC0 and no. attacks are surpassed by core fighters but she never loses her dependable tank status.

19. Sylvan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

IMO Jaheira was by far the best NPC in my party. She had great ability in fighting toe to toe with the enemy. Not to mention the powerful spells she could fire off before she closed for hand to hand combat.
    In my first run through BG2 I didn't take her along, a hated her from BG1 :flaming: (long story). But all subsequent times through she came along for the ride.
    A valuable asset, and a must for any (most?) parties.

20. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    BTW: Does anyone remember Jaheira's stats from BG1 & Tales?

Or beta values if different?

[ December 14, 2002, 23:29: Message edited by: chevalier des Trois-Tours ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.