1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Brand Name Products

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I forgot to mention: Nokia phones. Never had a non-Nokia phone.

2. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Zest soap currently but some other nice smelling soaps when I find them

Nivia face cream and Body Shop bath products

Jolly Green Giant mixed frozen vegetables

I actually change a lot of brand names to suit the price and quality but if I find something I really like I tend to get it often.

3. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

JSBB said it best:
    Except you leave off the 'else' for me. :D

I honestly cannot think of a single brand I'm 'loyal' to...

Clothes? Whatever's functional, durable and on sale/cheap.

Food? Whatever's remotely nutritious and palatable (and of course, cheap).

Don't have a car right now, but I've had several different 'makes' and each had quirks for better or worse.

Hygiene products? I typically buy 'knock-off' brands, but sometimes I'll splurge for the name...but no particular brand.

Consumer electronics? Got a couple of shop-built PCs that have been DIY'ed a couple of times already, a stereo whose brand I can't remember offhand!

Dang...I am SOOOO generic. :hahaerr:

Wait - I just realized; I've had nothing but Timex watches for the past couple of decades - that's a total of three of them, and the third is just a year old. (indestructible buggers, which is good since I'm pretty hard on them)

Oh, and apparently Kuemper shops at my store! (Compliments is our 'store brand', and NO I'm not even loyal to my employer - sometimes I'll go to the competition on whimsy as much as anything else. :) )

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I think I am the same. I can't think of any brands I get over and over again.

5. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

If that would be anything like the Finnish army bike then you'd be in serious trouble. Man I hated those crappy bikes.

In any case I'm mostly brand fanatic with food. And even then it's mostly local brands most won't recognize. I have big problems with brands I'm not used to and feel uncomfortable about eating brands I don't recognize. I'm not sure why since it can apply to things such as corn which basically I know will taste the same no matter what the brand is. A strange paranoiah I know, but not really a problem as long as I buy my food myself.

EDIT: Oh yes and with cellphones I'm dedicated to Nokia as long as they remain a Finnish company.

6. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Not exactly loyal to these brands but often times I find myself attracted to these:

Running Shoes: Mizuno and New Balance
    Backpacks: Deuter
    Camera (digital or film): Canon
    Audio equipment: Sony and Philips

7. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    My wife has a Sony W800i and she seems to like it. But mine is an LG.

Soap - Zest
    Toothpaste - Crest
    Mouthwash - Listerine

Electronics:

Audio - Mostly Carver, but lately I've been trying out some Denon equipment and have been impressed. And only Polk or JBL loudspeakers.

Video - Almost all my TVs have been Sony, but I also have a smaller 30" Samsung in my bedroom, which has a great picture. For digital cameras and camcorders I prefer Sony also. Sony also for computer monitors, but I have used Viewsonic in the past as well and really like their stuff.

Computers: I've used almost all brands of parts, but all the machines have been Intel based.

Soft drinks: Dasani water and Gatorade (the blue stuff).

Beer, coffee - whatever is on sale..

8. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hmmm.... let's see here.

Clothes - Billabong, O'Neill, Quicksilver, Hurley, Levis.

Shoes: Dockers (for dress/formal), Vans (for casual/work), and Nike (for running).

Hygene - Braun (for electric thooth brushes, and electric razors), Old Spice (for body wash and anti-persprant/deodorant), and Gellette (for wet shaving products)

Tools - Dremmel, DeWalt, Cressent, and Stanley's "Fat Max" stuff.

Computer stuff - Intel, ATI, Abit, Creative, Corsair, Samsung, and Seagate.

Booze - Skyy and Bacardi

That's all I can think of right now. :rolling:

9. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

What's wrong with Phoney Ericsson? Well, let's see. I worked quite a while for Robbers Wireless... and care to take a guess at which brand were 95% of the returns? Phoney Ericsson. I've seen my fair share of people disgruntled by overtly poor reception, crappy build, firmware problems, you name it, I've seen it. I once got the "chance" of trying a new Phoney Ericsson model, and guess what? It *broke*.

I'd rather have sent someone to the competition than sell them a Phoney Ericsson. And if you haven't had any problems with your phones so far, let me just say one thing: it's a matter of time.

/me barfs

Attractive my ass.

10. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Now, now, DotW....give him some credit. Some of the newer SE phones are a lot better looking than some phones. I'd take a SE phone over this joke of a phone. :p
    My PC Tech instructor has a SE W600i, and besides the fact that's it a lame swivel phone, he seems to like it. It sounds pretty good (and very loud) when he plays music during our lab. :rolling:

11. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    DotW, "attractive" is a matter of opinion. Yours is no more right than anyone else's is wrong, so get over yourself. :rolleyes:

On-topic: There are a number of brand-name products I buy routinely, but I'm hardly loyal to them. If another brand came out with an equivalent product at a better price, I'd switch in a heartbeat. For example, I usually buy either Northland or Apple and Eve cranberry juice, but if a store brand were to appear and be cheaper, I'd switch without a second thought.

My "loyalty" belongs to the items themselves, not the companies that produce them. I'm not about to run out and try a new kind of cookie simply because it's made by the same company that made the last box I bought.

12. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

And I'd take this joke of a phone over a SE anytime. At least I know the Kyocera won't fall apart in my hands...

That's true, but if someone chooses to go with a phone they find attractive, then why not choose one that will also work like a champ and fall to pieces in your hands? Phoney Ericsson don't have the build quality to match the "attractiveness" some find to them, that's all.

13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Guiness
    Jack Daniel's
    Bailey's

14. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's a contract phone. If it has a fault, I'll send it back and get a free replacement. No skin off my nose. I've not had any problems yet though. What's the big deal? I've not heard of anyone having problems with them at all.

15. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I tend to be anti-brand name or at least I couldn't care less as long as it looks good, tastes good and is affordable.

The few things I do insist on a specific brand name, mostly because they work/taste ten times better are:

Vodka - Silent Sam (tastes better & is Canadian)
    Dishwasher Detergent - Cascade (works way better worth the extra cents)
    Dish Soap - Palmolive (same as above)
    Shampoo/Conditioner - Pantene (hair is my best feature willing to spend the extra buck)
    Kraft dinner over no-name (tastes ten times better)
    Canada Dry Ginger Ale (no other can compare)
    Intel - (Can't stand Macs and has not let me down in 10 years)
    &
    Du Maurier (Canadian brand of cigarettes, mostly out of habit and nothing else tastes as good)

16. Wiley One Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I have to say I agree with Kitiara
    The only name brand I am attached to is my shaving cream because I have sensitive skin but am required to shave everyday. The Edge Gel shaving cream for sensitive skin has proven effective for me.

17. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Though I professed few loyalties, I agree with Kitiara on a couple of brands: Cascade for dishwasher, and Canada Dry for ginger ale. Comes to that, Pepsi over Coke for cola, though I rarely drink it these days.

As for the dishwasher gel/liquid, I've been throught them all in my place of work and have learned the hard way to stay away from the no-names, which turn to muck before you can use the whole container.

18. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

I'm a marketing persons nightmare!

Clothes - None

Household Cleaners - None

Soft Drinks - None

Alcohol - No particular preference as which one, but it is likely to be a branded product (Except cheap french larger for summer BBQ's)

Food - None, except for cereals, again no particular preference for one brand over another.

Toiletries - None, except for Gillette replacement razor heads (best bit of marketing ever was to give these out free for boys reaching their 18th birthday. Other razor heads don't fit.)

Gadgets - Any brand name with a reputation for reliability.

19. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I don't use any special brands, I use everything of good quality if I like them. But Nokia is an exception, nokia phones are the most user friendly ones and I always use them.

20. nunsbane

nunsbane

No brand loyalties here. There are many products of acceptable quality from which to choose, so I usually buy what's convenient or on sale.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.