1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Have you played BG1?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Basil Warbone, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Basil Warbone Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I would like to know if any of the newer members on the Boards of Magic who post in the SoA forum Have played Balders Gate and/or Tales of the Sword Coast before playing Shadows of Amn?

[ August 05, 2002, 12:38: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I played it after playing BG2.

I thought BG1 had a better storyline. It was a 'deeper' game than BG2. By the end of BG1, I was focused on crushing Sarevok. When he broke into castlekeep, I was livid and drooling at the every step; I wanted to crush that mother...

But, I really missed Minsc cracking up the party. He was humorous in the first one, but the second one he was downright painful. And Viconia was even more slutty/sensual in BG2. I would definatly chase whoever did the voice acting on her...

And Jim Cummings is a genius, too. That man should be nominated for an academy award. He totally rocks the games/shows he plays in.

Bg1 was gripping. Bg2 is addicting. Which is worse?

Gawd only knows...

3. Ravenstar1836 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Yes, I played BGI first.
    I am in partial agreement with ejsmith. BGI does have a deeper storyline for the main quest, but I think that most of the side quests in SoA are better.
    The one thing that playing BGI first gives you is a feel for some of the allusions in SoA. I did have to go back and replay BGI after SoA, though, because it had been awhile and I had forgotten some of the names.
    Sometimes, I think that I got too involved in BGI. I still have difficulty not spitting on Amnish soldiers...

4. Sirdan Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I have played BG1 after finishing BG2 and I have to agree that the main quest in BG1 had a deeper storyline. However, alot of things have improved in BG2 (pathfinding, graphics, etc.) so I must admit that i find both games pretty damn addictive! ;)

5. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I played BG1 long before BG2 came out. I played Totsc as soon as it came out. I bought BG2 as soon as it came out, and I bought ToB as soon as it came out. (I bought Torment, but only played it for 15 minutes :( )
    In my personal opinion BGII is far superior in replayability because of the ammount of classes. In BG1 you can make a 4 character party and see al the kits in that game have to offer

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

With BG1 I was single mindedly obsessed with killing Sarevok. Not because it would mean finishing the game but because I hated Sarevok. The same thing happened on a lesser deggree with Yoshimo except that in BG1 the whole storyline and plot focussed on you hating Sarevok. Damn I would love to play BG1 for the first time again. It was my first experience with a true RPG while BG2 is just a sequel to that greatness.

7. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I played BG1 first which was actually my first RPG experience on the computer. I had played console RPGs previously. Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, and Earthbound to name a few.

But BG was so different. It was the game that would changed my RPG gaming habits forever. I mean I can still remember the first time I was doing errains for the guards of Candlekeep. Something so simple and mundane now, but when I first did it, it was a new experience.

BG's story is very nice aswell. I really felt I was just a clueless berk after Gorin's death. I wandered aimlessly, meeting friends and foe at every turn. Each time I played, I would dig deeper and deeper into the mystery. Soon enough I stumbled upon a villinous plot. A key player in the scheme would inevitable be unmasked and removed only to learn of there superior. Following these clues eventually led me to the man of my vendetta, and the sick truth was revealed.

All and all, a game none sort of revolutionary. At least for me.

8. Abyssal Knight Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I actually had a wierd experience with both of these games. I started BG1/ToTSC first and when I got to the middle of it I stopped and played BG2/ToB. When I got to the middle of BG2 I stopped and went back to finish up BG1. After I finish BG1 I finally went back and finished BG2.

9. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I borrowed BG1 and got onto chapter 2, then bought BG2 - SoA and got to chapter six, then got ToB then completed SoA, then BG1 then ToB

10. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

I played Baldur's Gate after BGII....
    So, my BGI experience was preety ruined becuse i already knew the story....

11. Keraptisdm Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I purchased BG1 and was playing it when I added ToSC to it. Finished BG1/ToSC. Then purchased IWD and HoW, and finished those. Now I'm in Chapter 2 of BG2 SoA, but have not purchased ToB yet.
    I agree with what the others stated, BG1 has a better story line, but the "fixes" made in BG2 make playing slightly more enjoyable.
    I will be starting a new BG1 game very soon.
    :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.