1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Odd Laws

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Nakia, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] In researching something else I ran across this link.
    web page

Some time ago I believe we had a similar thread but I do not remember a link to this site.

"The penalty for jumping off a building is death.
    New York, USA"

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I don't know the authenticity of these sites, but here's a good laugh:Odd Laws

I once heard it was illegal to walk down the street in Utah while carrying a violin in a paper bag. :skeptic:

I don't know how these laws get passed... :rolling:

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That one makes sense to me. :)

Good site, Kitrax.

4. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I think this site has the canonical collection of "Dumb Laws".

- Ayn Rand (in Atlas Shrugged)

5. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    It's apparently illegal to commit suicide over here. So if you kill yourself..... you may go to jail. :confused:

6. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Its illegal for pregnant women to eat chocolate on Ulster Bus

Its 'legal' to shoot a Scotsman with a crossbow on a Saturday.

Every year in the Republic of Ireland, a wild mountain goat becomes king for a day :eek: A strange pagan tradition that never died out for some strange reason.

7. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I love dumb laws in France for instance an animal who practises witchcraft could still be burnt at the stake! They haven't had a witchcraft trial there since th 1800's (a pig was the last I believe) but you never know about them pesky animals.

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Hehe, Kentucky. You're sober so long as you can hold onto the ground. :D

Indiana. Illegal to pass a horse on the street. WTF?

Morrisville, Pennsylvania. Make-up permits for women. :shake:

Vermont. Written permit from husbands for wives to wear "false teeth".

But, Singapur's hefty fines for failing to flush a public toilet are a good idea. Everything is good to unteach people such habits as not flushing the toilet, not washing their hands after using one etc.

Wyoming. Illegal for women to stand within five feet from the bar while drinking. I think I know why. ;)

Florida... Naked shower illegal? :D WTF? Are they going to come into your house and check? :shake: I can understand public beach or pool, but... :shake:

Connecticut or some other state in the US. Getting married on a dare is grounds for annulment. But of course. Such a marriage should be considered void from the beginning, anyway. What's so strange?

[ August 07, 2006, 12:59: Message edited by: chevalier ]

9. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I think the Singapur on is being sensible. The others... :lol:

10. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Des Moines, Iowa: It is illegal for automobiles to be on University Avenue (a high-trafficked road in the capital city.) Reason for the law: the autos will scare the horses.

Iowa: It is illegal to keep a rotten egg in your home.

Michigan: It is illegal to swear/curse within earshot of women and/or children.

St. John's, Nfld: It is illegal to drive livestock down "main street" after 6 pm.

Haven't been around a lot of horses, have you chev?

11. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    In Winnipeg (my hometown), it's illegal to shovel snow from your driveway in July.

12. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I heard that it is still an official law that any English common man must practice with his longbow every Sunday for so many hours. Not to do so is suppsedly still punishable by law. It's just something that has never been got rid of.

I just heard this though, not sure how true it is.

13. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Oh, the temptation...anyone know where to buy a crossbow?

Loved this one :lol: :
    Could do with being used more often I think

14. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

@Barmy, it is every yeoman and serf must practise for 2 hours every sunday, which don't exist anymore technically

15. chevalier

Media:
    Serf at least, right? I suppose you could class some people as yeomen but that would be farmers who work on the land sort-of-physically and don't happen to be armigerous and it's a bit obsolete anyway. Besides, the distinction between yeomen and gentry had so vague criteria that it often came down to one's self-conception, what he wanted to be seen as. So if a yeomen's life were to become too nasty... ;) And one could claim to be too poor to be a yeoman, while not bound to the land like a serf. Hehe. Oh dear... :hahaerr:

What a nice law. ;) I'd probably have to pay a couple of fines, though. :p

Not much and definitely not in town streets. :D

16. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ok, here's a short list from good ol' Utah:
    • It is illegal not to drink milk.
      (I guess Utah law makers want a citizens with healthy bones... )
    • It is illegal to detonate any nuclear weapon.
      (Yeah! Those damn kids and their nukes! :p )
    • Birds have the right of way on all highways.
    • A husband is responsible for every criminal act committed by his wife while she is in his presence.
    • You're not allowed to sell beverages containing more than 3.
      ( :skeptic: 3 of what? )
    • It is a felony to persistently tread on the cracks between paving stones on the sidewalk of a state highway.
      (Two many kids breaking their mother's backs I suppose... )
    • It is considered an offense to hunt whales.
      (I didn't know Utah had whales... :skeptic: )
    • No one may have sex in the back of an ambulance if it is responding to an emergency call.
      (Yeah! That bed is for the injured! :p )
    • Alcohol may not be sold during an emergency.
    • It is illegal to cause a catastrophe.
      (1) Any person who by explosion, fire, flood, avalanche, collapse of a building, release of poison gas, radioactive material, or other harmful or destructive force or substance, or by any other means, causes a widespread injury or damage to persons or property is guilty of causing a catastrophe.
      (2) Causing a catastrophe is a felony of the second degree if the person causes it knowingly and a class A misdemeanor if caused recklessly.
    • Individuals may not possess beer in containers larger than two liters unless they are a retailer.
      (So it's legal to sell it, but once a person buys it...it becomes illegal? :skeptic: )
    Got to love those dumb laws... :lol: :rolling:

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The nuclear weapon detonation makes sense if you want to put barriers on nuclear weapons testing in your state.

The under two-liter beer container law makes sense if you only want beer sold in small quantities; e.g. bars could buy the larger containers because they are retailers, and they'll dispense it in smaller quantities. Though I'm not sure why you'd want to prevent people from buying a keg of beer for a party or something.

18. chevalier

Media:
    That's perfectly reasonable. It's neither odd nor uncommon. Some things are accidents, some are stupidity or dereliction of duty. Criminal liability should never be a random occurence catching up with you if you're unlucky, but if you're not cautious with harmful objects or substances, you should be responsible.

19. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    It's an easy mistake to make if you see a weight-challenged person lying on the beaches of Salt Lake. Here in Holland we pull them back into the sea *shrug*.

20. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

In the state of Maine the most one person can win legally gambling (this includes state lottos) is $3.00. Hmmm...I wonder if the state will force this law if someone wins the Powerball?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.