1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Do you do a martial art?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Clixby, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

@ Bahir the Red:
    While I think you might be right about a lot of schools, it's completely unfair to make a blanket statement like that. Not all schools are "McDojos" and include the spiritual side of martial arts. Not all schools crank out black belts for the money, and not all schools are treated like daycare when mommy needs to get stuff done.

I belonged to a great Karate school about 2 years ago. Since then, I've gotten married, had a bad injury, gained weight since stopping, and moved. The style I practiced included Goju, Shorin-Ryu, and Shotokan. BTW, it took me 9 months to get past my White belt (they require at least 6 months, and only test 2 times a year). Furthermore, the school had been in the same location for 20 years, and only had 11 people become Black Belts.

Harborboy said:
    I agree. I think a good MA place can teach kids a lot of self-esteem as well as respect for their elders. It's also a lot of fun!

I just found a school that looks really nice near me, because I really want to get back into it. This style is called Isshyn-Ryu. I hope it's a good place!

2. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I agree with Klorox here; I had a 65 years old sensei, who taught me karate-do for about 2 years, and he was still learning as he always said to us. We had days of 'spiritual teachings' and days of kata training. When I had my first test for orange belt, 3 senseis from Japan came to our little town to take the lessons and 70% of the tests were more like spiritual stuff than kicking.
    When I first saw a Steven Seagal movie I wanted to study aikido, but the only professor around our town was more 'fantastic' than Steven.

3. Ruin Ehwazehs Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I've learned some Tae Kwon Do long time ago...even though I'm only 19 now...IMO most of the martial arts that are being taught to people have somewhat changed to some kind of daily workout even if they initially developed to defence ownself or defeat opponent which required dedication, compassion or whatever the spirits to endure training and learn true meaning inside...So unless someone's going to use such martial arts in UFC or such fighting pit...they are just another way to stay healthy (meaning they are almost same as other workouts like jogging, aerobic workouts and etc.)

4. Klorox

Anybody see "Fight Science" the other day? (I think it was on the Discovery Channel)

It made me think of this thread. :)

5. Wiley One Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I trained in the art of Tang Soo Do for two years with my children in the UK. We achieved the rank of 6th Gup which is green belt (starts at 10th and goes up). Since we are back in the states we are looking for a school to pick it up again.

I also took Tae Kwon Do for 4 months while in the desert when I couldn't train with my kids. Trained with a couple of Army Captains.

I absolutely enjoy the workout I get while training. I feel like it is a fantastic whole body workout.

6. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    You don't need martial arts, I normally kick people in the chest and hit them in the face afterwards, having no air in your lungs makes fighting hard. Also in a real fight, just punching in the face can displace the other guys jaw, hurts like hell and stops the fight instantly.

And yes, I DO like fighting, i'm a sick, twisted man

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Trellheim, in a real fight, the other guy fights back and probably tries to do that same stuff back at you, so it's hardly a surefire recipe for victory.

8. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've recently taken up Tai Chi. Not so much for fighting skill, but I've heard about the health benefits and how it can give you more energy for your various daily tasks. That's the part that appeals to me.

If down the road it helps me to beat the crap out of somebody who attacks me, that's just an added bonus. ;)

It is a pretty fascinating art. I went in there convinced that I had strong legs, which are very built due to my being an avid cyclist. I couldn't believe how hard the basic leg movements were when I first tried. Wow ...

9. Klorox

Trell, don't you think someone who actually practices fighting all the time is a better fighter than the kids you probably bully on the playground?

Beren, Tai Chi is based on a MA, but isn't one itself. It will give you much added flexibility and peace of mind though, which will greatly assist you if you do try out a MA.

10. Ruin Ehwazehs Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Practice makes perfect...which does not mean if you practice fighting then you'd get better at actual fighting...it is rather the more you actually fight with people the more you adopted to beating up people...

11. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Aye, one of Tai Chi's main attractions is the benefit to your health. I wouldn't be too keen on relying on for self-defence. It is something I'd like to give a go some-time though, along with Aikido.

12. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    @Harbourboy, that's why I *try* to hit first. I learned those things from my grandfather,who was in the army and no, they don't always work.

@Klorox, I'm not an 'ultimate fighter' or even try to be one. Sure I know there are better fighters than me, I like to fight, I didn't say I'm any good at it :D . And I'm no bully, I'm the one who always gets bullied.

If somebody tried to rob me, I'd run away, I feel no shame in saying that.

13. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Yep.

I practised Judo for 16 years. Currently busy with Arnis (for the past 8 years) and a sort of all round jiujitsu/kempo/freefight hybrid style. (past 2 years)

14. Klorox

Sorry about that assumption Trellheim. Your nonchalance to kicking people in the jaw made me think otherwise.

Still, if you are being bullied, you'd greatly benefit from taking up a martial art.

15. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I've heard that Tai Chi Chuan is one of the oldest martial arts in China. And here's what wikipedia says about it:
    Tai Chi Chuan

I think it has in the west the way of approaching martial arts as they should be approached. Maybe after 20 years of training you'll be able to beat someone up, but that's really not the point.

16. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Tai Chi not being seen as a martial art is due to a general misunderstanding as to the purpose of practicing one. Most people in society seem to view martial arts as a means to learn how to fight. This is not their original purpose. The true idea is to attempt to bring peace to yourself and perfect your own character. Most true martial artists wouldn't get into a fight in the first place.

This brings to mind a tale I was once told:

A student travels all across Japan to study under a reknowned master. When they meet, the master agrees to teach him martial arts.
    "How long will it take me to reach black belt?" asks the student.
    "About four years" was his reply.
    "What if I try really hard every time I train?"
    "Oh, about five years."
    "But what if I practice every day as well?"
    "In that case about six years."

While this doesn't make much sense at first glance, the point here is that the student was too focused on the status of the black belt and had forgotten the reason why he should be learning in the first place.

17. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Did karate for about 6 or so years, back when I was a fair bit younger. Lost motivation in the end. Looking back on it now I can see why - the person in charge seemed to be more into making money than actaully teaching anything.

Took up judo about 4 years ago, but that didn't last long. Was a fairly small club, and I was at a stage that I was way to big for the junior classes, yet too young for the adult ones. Only lasted there about 1.5 years. Although it would be fun to take up again, even if just for the fitness side of things.

[ September 07, 2006, 13:30: Message edited by: Rotku ]

18. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I've been training Mixed Martial Arts for about 2 years now. More precisely I'm training Shootfighting, Vale Tudo 2 times a week and Submission Wrestling and Brasilian Jui Jitsu 2 times a week.

Sadly we focust mostly on beating crap out each other. Still I consider myself lucky as I have great people to train with and our instructors are very modest and understanding.

19. Klorox

Hey Decados, define the word "martial" for me.

Saying that most martial artists wouldn't get into a fight is silly. I'd agree that most wouldn't start a fight, but not that they wouldn't get into a fight.

20. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Nope, never had any interest in learning any of that stuff.

But I did get married though. Doing so taught me lots of neat tricks in self defense (sometimes more like self-preservation). After ten years of marriage I could probably teach some ancient Chinese fossil a few things about defense he would never have thought of. I'm not sure what kind of "belts" I could get for some status symbol - but she usually throws some sort of mean cross-cut. Usually I just hold up a credit card and it disappears like a cow in a piranha pit.

I never needed to learn how to breath either(somehow my body came equiped with that knowledge already). And I've heard about learning the "Brazilian" thing, but I learned the "Salsa" instead. Somehow holding a saucy young woman was a lot more fun than hugging an old bald-headed Korean man (even if he was giving away free belts).

I guess all the violence I require (other than heavenly matrimony) I get from TV, the movies, fantasy adventure novels, and of course - computer games.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.