1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Do you do a martial art?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Clixby, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I'm planning to try and take Aikido lessons this summer, and I was wondering if any of youse guys currently train or have trained in a martial art.
    If you have, kindly specify which one.

[ July 27, 2006, 02:01: Message edited by: Clixby ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 41 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Do you do a martial art? (41 votes.)

Do you do a martial art? (Choose 1)
    * Yep. - 51% (21)
    * Nope. - 49% (20)

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Nope. Unless quick and brutal street brawl count as martial art.

Even though it's been ages since I haven't beaten anyone.

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Karate.

Look out, doorjambs! :lol:

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Karate.

As well as being a Picky Master of Other People's Zen Grammar. What sort of word is "youse"?

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Karate, blue belt. Studied for two years until it got to be more of a chore than something fun.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Actually, sort of in the same boat as Felinoid. Once you get to a high enough level, the training for gradings and events can be more gruelling than training for a marathon and it can be much harder to get motivated.

7. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Aikido for about a year when I was in the Navy. I suck.

8. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just thought this was kind of funny because it reminded me of what a 12 year old girl told me this morning when I took my son over to the local playground. When she overheard me remind my son that he has taekwondo tonight, the girl told me that she goes to karate. Then she told me that she has been going for about 7 years and that she is a black belt. THEN she told me that after class they serve chips and donuts and pop and let them watch movies because they work so hard.... After that she struck an interesting pose which didn't even vaguely resemble anything in the martial arts. :lol:

9. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Now that I think of it, my brother did some Karate... green belt, the second part, I believe.

10. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I did judo for a while many years back. I have always wanted to train aikido.

Martial arts teached in the west are *nothing* like the real deal. You might practise the same moves, but not with the same dedication and concentration. The spiritual part of martial arts is barely taught at all. What dragonfly mentionen with the soda and snacks is completely wrong in my opinion. First of all, there should be no way in hell that a 12 year old girl can have a black belt. You move up the ranks waaaay to quick in the west. Secondly, they try to lure in kids with that and with the free crap food, which in my opinion, is completely wrong. Bastards.

11. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Kickboxing and regular boxing.

I completely agree with Bahir the Red.

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Around 6 months worth of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu 5 years ago. Then around 6 months of Muay Thai maybe 3 years ago, then a few boxing lessons here and there. Unfortunately, nothing really stuck.

13. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I did some Karate-Do long, long ago. I found the same as Bahir said. I was moving through the ranks way too fast (a new belt every 3 months?) for me to take it seriously.

14. kuemper Gems: 31/31

A Bronx and Brooklynese word equivalant to "you".

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

i think HB probably figured it out and was just trying to remind us that he's as old as splunge ;)

16. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I've being practising chen style Taijiquan now for over 30 years and I'm still only a student, I started too late really to become a master.

17. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    @Bahir -

I think I may not have stated well the subtle irony of my encounter with the litte girl. There is no way in hell that a 12 year old girl would have a black belt here either...especially with junk food snacks and movies afterward. (That is why I mentioned the fake karate pose and put a little :lol: at the end. The girl was obviously lying and I thought it pretty funny that she thought she could make a story like that believable.

BTW - My son has been in taekwondo for two months and he's already got 3 stripes on his white belt. The instructor says that he is one of his best students! Unfortunatly we cannot afford to keep him in the classes at this time. Hopefully by january we'll be able to put him back in.

18. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Been thinking of taking some lessons in this arabic military fighting, but haven't bothered enough thus far. Got enough to do with swimming and practising the basic moves (jab, straight, hook, low kick). Plus the mental side, which can be harder than performing the move smoothly.

19. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I did karate at university and got to 3rd kyu (brown belt in our association). However, I ended up having to travel to Watford if I wanted any senior grade training and while I didn't mind helping out the noobs I wasn't the best teacher.

I did taekwondo on and off for a while as well and while it helped with my kicks I hope to get into a less sporty martial art when I move to Cambridge. Possibly Bujinkan ninjutsu or combat sombo. Theres lots of choice in Cambs :D

20. Harbourboy

The style of karate I did spent more time on the spiritual than the physical sometimes. For example, inthe first four belts you spend half your time on breathing exercises and you don't even get to do any sparring until passing your fifth belt grading. You did move up through the first few belts reasonably quickly, but I don't mind that because it does help people get into it and give a sense of achievement. It slows down pretty significantly after that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.