1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Funniest thing so far (nymph cloak)

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Marcus_Giden, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Marcus_Giden Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Hi guys.
    I'm playing a thief solo right now and I did the Cowled Wizard quest for Edwin. Pretty easy to beat his golems and mephits and I did the funniest thing ever with the mage himself.

I went up to speak with him and his contigency kicked in so I did the only right thing. I ran away and hid in the shadows a floor down. He followed and I didn't really know what to do as I couldn't dispell anything he had on. I used the nymph cloak and BOOM he was charmed!

This is where the fun part begins. I cast almost all of his spells, A LOT of spells, but I interrupt them by moving a step when casting. So when he goes back to normal, he has like, all the MM and 2 acid arrows! Not a great deal of pain to take.

I do have a question though, as this is the first time for me soloing a thief. Where can I find potions of invisibility? I need pretty many, and I can't go to Waukeens as the thief ambush is there, otherwise I could maybe take out the gang at the Inn. for a ring of invisibility, but that's only one charge anyway. I think I'll ned 2 or 3 potions at least.

Current equipment : Ring of regeneration, human influence, arbane's sword, shadow armor (from Mae'Var, Tuigan Bow, nymph cloak, boots of stealth.

Thx for any advice!
    /Marcus

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Rings are one day items, you'd better buy a Ring of air control -improved invisibility- from Ribald... but he is in the Waukeen's Promenade :( .

If your character is evil or neutral you may be able to cast Horror which really helps when soloing a thief (to take away the opposition in the promenade) if you don't have the right items yet (having read your post I'd say it's only a matter of time before you get yourself an entire collection of invisibility Rings ;) ).

3. Marcus_Giden Gems: 3/31

Well, I'm in a bit of a trap as it is right now. But luckily, I stubmled upon the Harper quest and will be doing that now, hopefully I can get something of value there.

4. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Also, if you manages to be fast, you can hide, run in to the secret room in the Gate district where the Lich are, pick the lock on the chest and take all the stuff in there, including another ring of invisibility.

5. Marcus_Giden Gems: 3/31

thx man! I actually managed to get through the ambush on a second try. Bad luck first one I guess. Anyway, this is how I did it;

Went there, hid myself but then the "contact" didn't show up. Left the shadows and met them. I used some poison throwing daggers to get most of them poisoned and pretty ugly, killed Ama or whatever her name is, looted her corpse for 3 invisibility potions and BOOM. They died pretty fast after that.

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    If you had been playing an assassin it would have been a walk through the park with the Tuigan bow... you didn't want to be evil or what? ;)

7. Marcus_Giden Gems: 3/31

Nah, just didn't want the penalty in thief-skills.

8. Belgarth Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

what you have to do is go do the umar hills quest (very trickey soloing with a thief but possible) and get the rouge stone as a reward from the mayor, then you go to the bridge district. (do not sell the rouge stone, or not yet) then you go to the unmarked house with the lich down stairs. (second last unmarked house from the bottom. the other on is for the quest with the guy who got buryed alive) the first door on the outside of the house is traped and leads to the lich but the second one (if you have the rouge stone from umar hills) teleports you to some other demesion place. the is a really powerful mage here (for a solo thief) he has some tough buddys and a beholder. the mage guy has the staff of the magi and while it is equiped your invisable. it is just like the invisability potions or the 2nd level spell, if you attack or do a few other certain actions your visable again. if this happens just pause the game, go into your inventory page. unequip it and reaquip it and ur invisable again! the cool thing is, is that it also gives you a 2 point AC bounus!

9. Marcus_Giden Gems: 3/31

Ya, but I think The Twisted Rune might be kinda hard to take at Level 15 solo. I'll wait for it a bit. Thx for the tip.

10. Belgarth Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

another thing marcus, you should kill all of the liches to gain levels. just get some potions of master thievery, then go pickpocket 4 protection from undead scrolls (or buy them). go and kill the lich in the city gates (secrect door on the first floor of the in) and get the good longsword. go to the kagaxx (docks district beside the guild house of whats-his-face whom you get to kill for renal) then go kill the lich in the bridge distrct beside the twisted rune (the door is traped!) and go kill the lich in the unseeing eye cult. (you have to pretend to join and go do their task thing or you cant get to this lich). by this point you will be down to 1 protection from undead scroll. try to be skilled in sling of quarter staff at this point and get either the sling of evard or the staff of ryyn (dont know how to spell it lol) then go reserect kagaxx pickpocket him for the ring of gaxx then kick his ass and get a second ring of gaxx. thats the best regeneration in the game and a 4 AC bonus! should make life easier for you. Note: the mayor in umar hills also gives you the best armour for a thief.
    Cioa!

11. Marcus_Giden Gems: 3/31

Thx man, I have actually killed all the liches except the one in the Unseeing Eye Area, and thus neither have I killed Kangaxx.

12. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Wait untill you can get Vhailors helm, that way you will have twice the power!(good) and an infinity of scrolls!!(even better, that way you can ptundead+ptmagic)

13. angryguy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Dont use prot form undead, its boring and takes the challenge away.

Use daystar instead. Hahahaaaa.

14. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

If you're siding with Bodhi, you can go and take the mace of disruption from the pool. Then go for Sarles quest and get the illithium.
    Show them to dwarven artificier and he gives you THE weapon to kill undead.

You could also buy/pick a rogue stone from Gorch in the docks district.

I still prefer the Aeger's hide armor. Gives immunity to conf, some elemental resistances, and is even better when enchanted.

I'm playing dual fighter8/thief (the rest) and twisted rune was a pushover after I got mace of disruption.
    I cast prot from undead on myself, and equipped shield of balduran (from the bonus merchant). The lich went down with one strike, beholder killed himself, the vampire couldn't do nothing because of my protection and that monk is even not worth mentioning. the only problem for me was to wait until the mage had wasted her spells on pit fiend she summoned. Then I just killed her with acid arrows (they go through stone skin effectively disrupting casting).

Kangaxx and other liches were not so scary. Prot from undead for other liches, but since Kangaxx speaks to you in the middle of fight, it's recommened he can see you. That's why magic protection is in place there.

Your potion needs are gone when you find Ms. Cragmoon in bridge district and the guy in the sewers (don't remember his name).

15. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31

Hey I've played SoA a couple times already but I've never had the "thief ambush" in Waukeen's!

What is that all about? Do you have to be an assasin to get that quest?

16. Vengeance Incarnate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

@ Neeraj

It's one the thief stronghold quests. You're asked to meet someone in the Promenade at night and it turns out to be a set up.

17. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31

Thanks alot man!

Maybe I should get out of my Paladin/Bard shell and try something new eh?

18. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

@ Mayfair - He can't side with Bohdi as he is a thief.
    Marcus - I guess you'll just have to wait untill you take on Bodhi in Ch. 3.

If you use up the charge of a ring of invisibility, you can just put it in a bag of holding or gem bag and when you take it out it will be charged again. A bit cheesey though!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.