1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cooking In General

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well I was going to make chicken soup for supper and serve the boiled chicken thighs on the side but now I think I might make revmaf's chicken-in-foil bake.

BTW - I know most of the ovens around here have temperature dials that show both C and F temps.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Home made soup is legendary. At least when my mum makes it. Love it! My mum always makes a turkey soup with the leftover Turkey from Christmas. Can't beat it :) .

3. Dice

Media:
    I make a lot of different soups. In my husbands culture they eat soup with the supper meal almost every night. His favorite is "sopa de pasta" which is made with pasta lightly browned in oil and then cooked with tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and garlic blended in a blender with water and chicken broth added.

I sometime make it with carrots and celery added to the blend for more flavour and when it is almost cooked I add a can of red kidney beans and a little chili powder.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What's a cilandro?

5. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Cilantro is a green herb. It is the leaf of the plant that produces coriander seed.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The coriander seed doesn't come from the coriander plant? Wow, you learn something every day. So the coriander seed comes from a different plant than the coriander leaves? What a crazy world. We have some coriander plants in our herb garden.

7. Dice

Media:
    Actually coriander and cilantro are the same plant HB. Both names are commonly known for it.

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I hate fresh coriander leafs. They smell and taste soapy. Yuck. Coriander seed is something else. I like it.

Chev, try Ragusa's Sage Noodles (tm) ;)

First, cook some arbitrary noodles. Doesn't matter which. My personal preference are smaller noodles.

Then make the sauce: Take a largish onion, some butter. Peel and chop the onion finely, melt the butter and add the onion. Heat and stir until the onions get slightly brown, then add something meaty - usually I take cooked bacon, but normal bacon or shrimps do perfectly fine as well (you can improvise; everything works as long as it doesn't conflict with or would be drowned by the sage) - and then add some hot water to prevent it from burning. Lacking something meaty you can as well take a stock cube (there's no shame in that).

Add dried or fresh sage leafs. Be generous. Salt. Let boil on low heat for 10 minutes, and then add some sour cream, roughly a large spoon (you're from Poland, you know what I mean ;) ). Whisk until the cream is solved.

Serve noodles with sauce. Enjoy. Takes 15-20 minutes, max.

9. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Check out my edit of the chicken-in-foil recipe - I found it needed longer to cook than I thought.

10. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

One of my favorite foods is Greek, that being said I love to make Spanikopita or spinach pie as some call it. This is a recipe even my Mom has asked me for:
    Ingredients:

Olive oil 3 Teaspoons
    Green onion chopped 1 bunch
    Spinach 2 packages, thawed drained and patted dry and then chopped
    Dill chopped ½ bunch
    Parsley chopped ½ bunch
    Feta cheese, big tub drained and chopped
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Eggs beaten 1-2
    Filo 12-14 sheets
    Melted butter as needed

Heat oil over medium heat in skillet or sauté pan, add green onions for 2 minutes, add spinach, dill and parsley in batches. Once cooked move to strainer and allow to cool somewhat.

In mixing bowl mix spinach mixture feta, salt, pepper, stir in eggs.
    Preheat oven to 350. grease 9x9 baking dish or deep dish pie tin. Lay a layer of filo over the dish and brush with butter, add 5-6 more buttering each. Add filling and repeat with filo. Bake 45-75 minutes or until top is golden brown throughout.

The trick to this recipe is to butter the filo pastry well each side before laying over the last layer. I recommend lots of feta, easy on the spinach and serve with Tzatziki. I also like to add a clove or two of garlic to add a bit of flavour during the saute of the dill, spinach and parsley.

11. Dice

Media:
    I love Spanikopita. My recipe if fairly similar but I like to roll the filling into the layers of filo pastry and then cut it into circles when it is cooked. Makes a nice snack for guests.

12. revmaf

[​IMG] Made this yesterday from a recipe in the local paper, something of a gamble since I don't much like olives, and it was really good. Here's the hitch - it's a recipe for a small (1 1/2 quart) slow cooker. Here's what I think would convert it: double it and do it in a regular size slow cooker, or keep it the same size and put it in a covered casserole dish in a 350-375 F oven for about an hour to an hour and a half. Anyway, it was good enough I recommend trying it.

Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts with Lemon Cream Sauce

2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, trimmed of all fat
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    1 cup plain store-bought Alfredo sauce
    6-8 whole black olives
    Zest of 1 lemon (that means, the grated or peeled and chopped outer peel of a lemon - try to avoid getting much of the white fiber under the yellow peel)

Spray inside of slow cooker crock with nonstick cooking spray and place chicken in bottom of crock. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In small bowl, combine Alfredo sauce, olives and lemon. Stir to combine and pour over chicken. Cover and cook on high 2 1/2- 3 hours, until chicken is tender and cooked through. The chicken will make its own juice and thin the sauce. Serve alone or over pasta or rice. Yields 2 servings.

13. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] Nice recipe, BUT .... :eek: cooking spray??! :eek: :outta:

I'm schocked! I'm awed! How can one possibly use something like that on food??! Why not formaldehyde?

I know, when it comes to food I'm a reactionary.

14. revmaf

Well, what I use, actually, is olive oil or corn oil (depending on the dish) in one of those self-pumping sprayers you can get at kitchen stores. But it's true the recipe called for non-stick spray, by which it probably meant Pam, which is indeed full of odd stuff. (Is that the one that has silicone in it?)

EDIT: for this one I used the corn oil but now that I think about it the olive oil would probably have been a little better, because it had OLIVES in it. Well. My mind is sometimes elsewhere.

EDIT AGAIN: If you've never used these little gizmos they are great for putting a thin film of plain oil on a pan. Their main drawback is that they are hard to clean. Another problem is that if you don't use them for a while the oil can start tasting a little "off" though I suppose that is true of oil in a regular bottle, too.

[ January 18, 2007, 21:28: Message edited by: revmaf ]

15. Ragusa

Media:
    revmav,
    I want to express that your description exceeded my worst concerns:
    And you eat that?

I use 'cleared' butter*. Usually in a heavy black cast steel pan with emael inside. Very old fashioned :)

* You separate the butter fat from the whey by melting the butter on medium heat. Let it boil up once, and put off the hotplate, and let it rest and cool. The whey will separate at the bottom. Then pour out the butter fat carefully, avoiding to mix it with the whey again.
    Takes 15 min to make it. It has that buttery taste, stays fresh in the fridge and is very well suited for frying. Best: It almost certainly never went through a refinery :p

16. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Heh. I think you misunderstood.

The full-of-odd-stuff was the non-stick spray. What revmaf used was a spray bottle of vegetable oil.

Clarified butter will last longer (i.e. not become rancid as fast) than vegetable oil because it is a saturated fat, but unsaturated fats are generally held to be better for your health.

Plus, don't tell Harbourboy, because butter (coming from a cow) has a small amount of the evil trans fat in it! Oh no! ;)

17. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    I know I will probably be stoned in this haute cuisine thread...but does anyone have advice as to the best spaghetti sauce in a jar? :p I have exams and I'm not exactly a seasoned cook, so...no time for home-made stuff. I love the thin spaghetti threads...capelini (sp?) IIRC.

Besides, it's a giant leap from pot noodles. :D

18. Ragusa

Media:
    Try Paul Newman's sauces. I don't know if or how they taste. But I like the labels :1eye:

The Wall Street Journal is a neocon rag, but I like these drawn portaits instead of photograps. Same style. Something very American I presume (mental note: go check). Having to actually read it sours my mood instantly, so I went over to just feast my eyes on it :roll:

So, to return to topic, if the sauce sucks, well, you'll still have a splendid package :spin:

Or try Ragusa's Sage Noodles (previous page).

19. Harbourboy

Butter from a cow is has far less trans fat content than the mutant laboratory hydrogenated fat that is found in so much processed food, so is not really a major cause of concern.

And don't try and make out that I'm some sort of loan crusader on this. Limits on trans fat use have been made by many national and local authorities, including New York City.

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm not. It was a joke. I never disputed that trans-fats are considered bad for you, just that they are indeed food.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.