1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stupid items you have bought or been given

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well I'm kind of embarassed to admit this but lately I've been playing with my son's Tamagotchi a bit. It is the new version and it can connect with other Tamagotchi's of similar ilk so we decided that I should get one as well so that my Tamagotchi could interact with my sons Tamagotchi and he wouldn't have to take his to school so often and risk losing it. (He's very attached)

We have discover in the last few weeks that Tamagotchi's are not an easy item to find at this time because they are very popular. My husband, very sweetly, tried to find one for me the other day and when he couldn't, he bought a cheap imitation at a dollar store that he thought I might enjoy until we got the real one.

Well the thought was nice but the little "Dinky Dino" is pure annoying crap! :lol: First of all it doesn't have the promised 'instructions included inside'. When I tried to look in up on the internet I discover that there is indeed a "Dinky Dino" and what I had in my hands was not a real one. Also it does not have a pause button and it's ability to keep time is questionable. Now the actual "game play" is quit interesting. It has a number of highly invisible symbols that get a negative response from the critter when you try to press them. The only buttons that work are the feeding button, toilet button and lights-out button. You get to fill it's food meter flush the poo and then in about an hour its food meter is empty again. Then it decides to take a long nap (and beeps at you if you don't turn out the lights) so that it can keep you awake all night. I have a real baby and he likes to get me up in the night for milk. I don't mind. But a little annoying piece of crap electronics is another story.

If you do manage to keep it alive for a certain undefined amount of time it will suddenly give you a bunch of options for other critters - frog, butterfly, ninja, bloby thing, etc. and when you choose one you suddenly get another egg hatching. Woohoo! More of the same nothing.

I could go on but really the junk doesn't deserve any more effort on my part. I have it buried now in some cloths until it dies. So who else has had an experience with something that doesn't work like you thought it should?

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I bought a replica medieval helm (For US$60 ouch! :bang: ) that was supposed to inspire me to take my martial arts training more seriously and intensify my traiing. It didn't work because I'm still sitting on my ass posting here :p :D

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Can you still even get Tamagotchies? I thought that craze died out 10 years ago!

Dumbest thing I can think of are my giant Mickey Mouse hands I bought from Disneyland. They took up so much room in my suitcase and I have never looked at them again in the 10 years since I got them.

4. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I bought a replica medieval dagger when we were on a trip to some old castle (which was great, by the way). It looked good at first, but then i noticed that the hilt wasn't even properly made. It consisted of two parts, and they were poorly put together. And the blade fell of in my luggage when i was flying back to home.
    Well, it costed only 20 euros (amount would be little more in US$, but not much), so it wasn't a big loss.

5. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    New generation of Tamagotchis HB. The craze is back. History repeats itself.

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hmmm...I'd wager that 90% of every person's impulse shopping trips end with buying some very stupid stuff. It's just a fact of life. :rolleyes:

Some of the bad choices I have made include:

Renewing my Maxim Magazine subscribtion when I knew that I would be moving back in with my parents (Who, if they find one of those magazines in the mail, will shred them up. :cry: )

Letting my fiance get a kitten :bang:

Having a 'D&D Dragon Species' poster custom framed. (Sure it cost about $50 to frame, and it looks really cool, but proclaims my geek-ness to all who see it.) :shake:

That's all I can think of right now...but I'm sure there are *a lot* more. :rolling:

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Everything I bought my ex -- what a waste.

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Yea; why invent anything new when you can simply milk the old products? The gaming industry is in a sad state nowdays...

What I kinda regret of buying is this "Nordica" grill. Not one of those that are put in the balcony so you could roast the meat with real fire and so, but one of the electric ones. "Easy to clean," they advertised, "and gives the meat a delicious barbeque taste." So I bought it because I only wanted a cleaner way to cook certain stakes that normally splatter around quite a bit on a regular frying-pan.

Well, they were barbequed allright. So well, in fact, that most of the time they came out as charcoal. And the cleaning wasn't that easy either, since you needed to manually swipe the two, flat surfaces that were pressed around the meat (which would then splatter all that fat into them).

Give the stupid thing away two months after. It cost me some 50 bucks, so it was no big loss, but still... :nolike:

9. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I've had few of these T-shirts with a "funny" text printed on them.

Can't wear them for the fear of losing face. And in someplaces of the world that would be literally true.

10. Leppi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

While in Lituania I bought two replica soviet army officer hats.

11. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Load by Metallica, and I was so stupid I purchased Reload in good faith. However I was not stupid enough to buy St. Anger :p

12. Sir Farivald

Sir Farivald The Obsidian Cleric

Hehe, why am I not surprised at the amount of replica weapons here, with things like that you have to know what to look for if you want it to survive an encounter with cheese etc...

I've got a lot of the expensive "replica" or indeed battle reenactment weaponry and armour, and at the end of the day, as lovely as they are, it's true that you're limited in what you can do with them. Oh well, I still maintain that they're not stupid items. :p

13. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I bought a stereo system for my ex's car. That was a total waste.

14. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I bought my friend (for his 18th birthday) several silly items -

"The 2004 guide to the tea rooms of britain" (reduced to £1 in a box of about 200)

and

"Indicatears" - basically plastic things that you wear over your ears (like the top parts of wrap around earphones) which you can make light up (by remote control button pressing) to indicate when you are turning right, left, or both.

15. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I never buy replica weapons, as most are un-authentic and tacky. I prefer antiques if I can afford them.

16. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    A replica dagger that is falling apart. Lionheart (the crappy PC game) and a stupid bird pencil. These are really stupid item. Once I though of buying POR2, but I've read some of the posts in BoM and I didn't.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.