1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: The Price of Gas

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Chandos the Red, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

If prices of oil remain high worldwide? I don't know, it depends on the amplitude of the lies the Saudi's told. But the oil-price will rise steadily the next 30 years. So, it's been pretty smart to tax oil and build up a public-transport system and bicycle routes with the revune. I'm a train raider, as cars are not cost-effective anyway. Jesus, that oil-crisis back then was quite a lesson.

2. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Over $5 per gallon in Ireland, and rising. Good thing I have a small car and cycle to work nearly always.

@Edit: Prices for the Republic of Ireland, that is. The problem up North, Cúchulainn, is that you no longer have slave leprechauns to push the cars :p

[ October 20, 2005, 15:15: Message edited by: Colthrun ]

3. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

That would be a bargin up North Colthrun, but I also cycle, and use the train for the longer distances anyway...

4. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

I've calculated a litte bit and figured out that in Norway, we pay between 7 and 8 US dollars per gallon. Quite expensive, really...

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Last I filled up the tank, it was $1.11/litre Canadian. I think that's around $4 - $5 US dollars. My folks, who live in Iowa, say it's $3.50 or roundabouts.

6. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

We're the 7th biggest producer of raw oil in the world, and with a population of only 4,5 million you could sort of explain why Norway is the best country in the world to live in. Still, we have to pay close to $5,60 for one US gallon of gas (9,85 NOK/litre = 1,35 USD/litre). Don't really know where you got your 7-8 USD from Loerand.

Almost everything is taxes, because the Norwegian government hates cars. When you buy a new car in Norway, you pay taxes on weight, engine volume and engine power (a decently equipped Volvo XC90 would cost about $105000 in Norway, while it costs about half of that in Sweden). You also have to pay a tax every year to be allowed to use the car on the road, and you have to pay taxes to drive on roads in most bigger cities and on many stretches of highways.

7. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Hehe, we live in different cities I presume. Here in Lillehammer it's 12 NOK per liter. With that value, you can do the math ;)

8. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Petrol jumped about $0.10 AUS a litre overnight, so now it's sitting about $0.28 closer to four bucks a gallon.

Let the good times roll! [/sarcasm]

Ounces, gallons - geez, get onto the metric system already, people! Much, MUCH easier, since you can figure out everything by using your fingers if need be.

9. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Currently, the gas prices here in UT are right around $2.75 to $3.00 a gallon of regular octane gas.

My VW Jetta get's fairly good gas mileage all things considered. We haven't considered a hybrid yet...and probably won't...but we're also not considering getting a Hummer H2. :rolling:

10. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I bought gas yesterday for $2.39 USD/Gallon...The lowest I've seen in months!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.