1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hmm..which to pick..which to pick..

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by GabrielNYC, Dec 27, 2004.

1. GabrielNYC Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Right.. ive narrowed the classes down to Bard(skald), Fighter or Thief (Assassin) and Ive gotten some really cool portraits to go along with each one.

The agony of choice indeed.

2. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I'd say go with Assassin. I'm currently in a game in which my rogue is hiding in shadows and backstabbing like crazy, and it has been a blast.

Make sure to pick up the improved thief stronghold and the rogue rebalancing mod while you're at it. :)

3. {OverLoad} Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I suggest Assassin too.He is just great with his backstab at higher levels :thumb: :rolling:

4. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Ditto here.

Btw, what cool portraits? :)

5. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Assassin, it's great to strike your enemies down, turn invisible and finish them...
    by the way the ability to poison your weapons is great with arrows and darts... Poison your foes, disappear and watch them die.
    The only drawback is that the assassin gets fewer % to distribute so you have to know what you're doing (set traps is great nevertheless)

My current character is a Wizard Slayer, it's really nice to hack away at your opponents, but what I miss is the flexibility of the assassin. With a thief you can't just run into your enemies, you have to develop strategies, use the environment, set traps, and make tough decisions -which one am I going to backstab?- it's great fun... it gets more challenging that way.

6. Capt Massacre Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Everybody says assassin so I say berzerker, I always have more fun with them.
    The only problem with assassins is that you don't expect a leader to hide in shadows all the time. A NPC will do the talking which could suit you, but maybe not. Beware.

7. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    @Capt Massacre: An assassin doesn't have to hide in the shadows all the time, especially if he is wearing boots of speed and a ring of invisibility... Besides Bhaal was the lord of murder...
    I see no reasons why an assassin couldn't be a leader -and a fearsome one- besides if an NPC has to do the talk, you still choose the answers (where is the problem really?) it's more a question of taste.
    The berserker rage is great but you don't have so many possibilities or strategies at your disposal.
    Berserker = hack and slash + rage
    Assassin = backstab + poison + traps
    It's two entirely different perspectives. Perhaps you may feel more comfortable with a berserker but I advise you to give the assassin a try, it's worth it (anyway if you don't solo the game you have Korgan who is a perfect berserker to act as a tank)

8. GodRules44 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Improved thief stronghold and the rogue rebalancing mods:
    I am not sure where to find these, I've looked on the site and couldn't find them, did I just miss them?

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  10. Capt Massacre Gems: 5/31

@Caradhras: Korgan is really evil. But of course, a class like assassin must be great, I don't say "stay away", just wanted to point out the leadership problem.
    And it's just the same with other non-fighting types. You need a tank on the front line, your bard or wizard won't do. When I play a "non tank", I usually let an NPC lead.

11. San Ti Gems: 5/31

well i have something really out of the blue to say: if you want a character who can beat every opponent and you want to have the hiding and all this atributes (except from pick pocket and deactativate traps) you should chose a monk. This guy is really powerfull 2 adamantine golems dead in seconds (i was level 16). 4 attacks/round magic resistanc 50%at level 15 fists +3(i think) in level 17 protection from poison protection from this protection from that man i was amused

[ January 07, 2005, 09:37: Message edited by: San Ti ]

12. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

[​IMG] Bah...monks need too much babysitting in the beginning, and they're not that much better than any normal fighter, with the proper items.

13. San Ti Gems: 5/31

i dont think so if you make the correct choises they are really good from the beggining

[ January 07, 2005, 09:35: Message edited by: San Ti ]

14. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

There's always the paladin to act as a fighter, they have a lot of awesome abilities, and the capabilities of a fighter still. Assassin is cool because you can backstabb, and if you wanna power game, you get staff proficiency, and wait to get the staff of striking or something like that, (1d6 + 9 damage), I believe it's the highest damage weapon in SoA.

Fighters are good because they just kick a lot of butt. It's rather difficult to mess up on a fighter.

I hate bards... sorry... :(

15. San Ti Gems: 5/31

bards are fun but i cant stand them :bang:

[ January 07, 2005, 09:37: Message edited by: San Ti ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.