1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Monk Solo Help Please

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by RX2000, Nov 20, 2002.

1. RX2000 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Forgive me if this has been posted before.... I did several searches, but couldnt find anything where people said HOW a monk is supposed to solo an entire game, just that they have done it somehow.

What I am interested in is just HOW is this done? The idea of a monk running into a room of mind flayers or facing off against Firkarrg(sp) or Kangaxx alone seems laughable to me. Do you solo in that you can only do the bare minimum required to beat the game? How do you attack Irenicus if he has a fire shield and Absolute Immunity up?

The only thing I can think of is maybe you just run around waiting for their protections to fade away? My small brain is trying to comprehend beating a room of spellcasters without being able to cast breach/pierce magic, et al. Is a monk really THAT powerful in the later game?

Any insight from people here is much appreciated. :)

[ November 20, 2002, 10:30: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    In a nutshell, here it is: there was a guy who actually killed the red dragon with a monk with one hit (he posted the saved game somewhere, but I forget exactly where). The quivering palm and other high level monk attributes are quite powerful. As you get a free shot at most dragons in the game (unless you mod them into a semblence of intelligence), the monk actually kills dragons fairly easily.

Kangaxx takes the same tactics as with a party: protection from undead scroll and protection from magic scroll then just whale away with a purchased +4 weapon. Mind flayers can be tricky, although using the fog of war and hit and run tactics takes patience but makes it work. Also, don't forget that the monk can hide in shadows, wander up, kill one, drink a potion of invisibility and wander away.

Further, the monk levels up awefully fast, which boosts immunities and, in a solo game, keeps him or her ahead of the competition throughout. While it may not be the easiest class to solo (I vote for F/M/T on that score) it's up there.

As for spellcasters, again, be patient. You move so much faster than them that they rarely get spell off with you in view. Also, a much-maligned but I feel extremely effective item is the cloak of non-detection, which stymies their true sights when coupled with hiding in shadows or drinking invisibility potions. That way, you can lurk about waiting for their defenses to drop, see them fall, position yourself, and club the puny weaklings into submission with your bare hands. As most major mage battles only involve one mage, this is quite effective.

As I have TOB and some mods installed, I will not comment on certain other items, as I no longer remember whether they are pure SOA or not.

Really, soloing a monk is just being patient and remembering to use those extra abilities that come with the class.

[ November 20, 2002, 02:55: Message edited by: dmc ]

3. RX2000 Gems: 2/31

Ahh thanks dmc, most informative. :)

4. Shadow Steele

Shadow Steele Still hiding in the shadows all night

I have just completed the asylem portion of the game with my solo monk and can tell you that I have killed the shadow and red dragons with no assistance. It has been challanging so far with quite a few reloads. The only thing I am worried about right now are the mind flairs. Ill let you know how it goes.

5. RX2000 Gems: 2/31

I look forward to hearing about it. :) I started my second game tonight, gonna try being a monk this time, though I am still of a chicken to try solo I think. :)

6. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I know certain potions can rectify this, but is armor class and hit points ever a problem for monks?

7. RX2000 Gems: 2/31

Ok, I want to know how a solo monk is supposed to beat TorGal. I was fighting him with a whole party of 6 (just him, I got him to come single from his lackeys) and I couldnt keep my monk healed even by nonstop chugging potions and having Jahiera/Viv casting heal spells. Whats up with that? TorGal was smashing me for like 25-30 a pop, fast.

How the heck could 1 monk solo that? I dont see it happening. Anyone got any solo monk hints for TorGal?

8. Vengeance Incarnate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

You'd be able to it because when you solo you level up a lot faster and, at least when I solo, I go for the easy quests or ones with minimal fighting first to get my character stronger before trying the tougher fights.

9. Shadow Steele

Shadow Steele Still hiding in the shadows all night

I was above 30th level with a -11 AC when I fought the DemonKnights. I removed the XP cap.other than that I played straight. No XP boosts. I did a lot of easy quests first and just kept getting stronger.

Now for my update, I just finished my game and completed the underdark and everything else including another dragon and multiple adamants.

good luck with your game, I found it interesting but not very challanging in the later levels, maybe if I hadnt removed the cap... Hmmmmm

10. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Alright, I just soloed a monk out of Irenicus' dungeon, the party in the inn, and the circus tent.

Here is my question: what do you do to heal yourself? Rely on special abilities (for whatever reason I made him Lawful evil on a lark and so I can't do this.) Rely on potions only? It seems to me that I've already chugged a number. Just keep resting and use your Lay on Hands? How do you deal with this?

I've soloed a sorceror, invoker, wild mage, through the game and fighter/thief through Act 2. With them I stole the ring of regineration (magic users used their familiars) but a monk or fighter can't do this. So, what's a monk to do? Picking up a thief for even just a bit means you aren't solo anymore.

11. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

You try to make it with lay on hands until you get tough enough to get the ring of Gaxx. Never tried it myself, though.

12. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

How about buying healing from the temple? You don't need the gold for weapons or armour anyways.

Can't remember if your evil reputation makes healing more costly though, but IIRC, it shouldn't since temples supposedly treat people equally.

13. Laches Gems: 19/31

A quick note as I advance him, it is a bit of a pain to rest up enough for healing. Maybe I'm simply not as skilled as others or maybe it's that I'm not willing to find every non-violent quest first, not sure. I've gone along and done the Harper quest, Copper Coronet, Slavers quest, and cleared the Graveyard to hit level 12 and here are my thoughts.

I had underrated the power of the Bhaal abilitis Vaampiric Touch and Larloc's Minor Drain. Wow. Lifesavers, and they even work on Shadows, Shadowfiends etc. I underestimated the amount of hitpoints that they would allow me to recover, going out on a limb here, but in some ways they are better than having heal abilities. The heal abilities are nice in that you can rest and heal more quickly but in the midst of a quest Vampiric Touch has given me 27 hitpoints back versus the 8 I'd get from a minor heal ability.

I found that I felt I had to make a run the moment I hit level 11 to the Graveyard. Level 11 grants poison immunity. In the graveyard you can find that nice Ioun stone but you need to brave about a zillion baby spiders and their nasty poison to get it. In the past with my mages I simply tossed a fireball at my own feet and absorbed the damage to avoid the potential poison. My fighter/thief snuck in, backstabbed the wench, gabbed the stone and ran away. The monk was able to go straight for the woman and take her out as well as all her spider friends. The ioun stone is the most important find thusfar in the game since I have a limited amount of hitpoints and critical hits are devastating.

Still, I can for example make it through cleaning out the graveyard or the slaver quest but then it is a day and a half of healing afterwards which is annoying.

Edited to note that the required extra rest is probably in many ways a more real roleplaying experience. THink about it, who kills a shadowdragon and one day later a red...sheesh.

[ November 23, 2002, 16:17: Message edited by: Laches ]

14. Sandor the Irrelevant Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Aren't there a lot of situations where you need to unlock a door or chest in this game? How does a monk handle that? I was trying to solo a Monk, but ended up using Yoshimo for his lock opening skills.

Right now I'm lvl 11 I believe and I'm going Windspear, but I can't get by the vampires and their level drain and I don't feel like going back to a temple every time i get clobbered. Any suggestions on how to kill a vampire with a monk?

I've done the slavers, nalia's, copper coranet, Xzar, the pirates in the inn near Xzar... any other low-level quests? I'm finding it quite difficult to get through windspear. Mind you I didn't prepare well with potions. I desperately need to cheet myself some bags of holding.

15. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

1: get Yoshimo
    2: give him a potion of master thivery (or two if your in a hurry)
    3: save and go to Ribald and pick pocket him for a ring of regeneration which heals 1 hp every round, or six seconds, it's good for healing but not much use in the middle of combat.

Also I'm curious what everyones opinion on using the ctrl-R cheat is? does anyone think it's acceptable to use it providing your not in combat or aren't about to go into combat at the time and happen to have a ring of regeneration on you? I ask because I'm not sure what anyone else thinks of this, I think it's ok since all your doing is speeding the process up and you also lose any temporary buffs while your at it.

16. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I do that all the time when im soloing. I dont have the patience to regenerate 70 hp usually, thats too long a wait. Generally a monk is an easy solo, because once you get to level 14 you are impossible to beat. Compound this with the cloak of mirroring and no mage in this game can touch you except for the imprisonment casters. Fighting ability shouldnt be a problem, ac however will. My best advice is to get keldorns armor and use it for your monk, its the only way to keep your ac reasonable.

Every dragon, even with tactics on, ive killed with quivering palm, this ability is ridiculously good against dragons, i get lucky with it every time, both dragons I killed on my first try.

17. Xindell Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

My personal opinion is that using Keldorn's armor on a Monk is akin to cheating. That armor is only usable by the Monk because of a mistake by Bioware. Simple fact is that Monks are not supposed to be able to wear ANY armor. Exploiting a bug is no different from cheating. If you want to cheat, then just get SK and beef your character that way.
    Besides, Monks are more than powerful enough without giving them armor they're not supposed to be able to wear.
    Again, this is just my opinion, though.

18. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Monks are able to use almost all of the wands in the game as well as a few mage spells, which can be a big help, although this will probably be placed under the same 'cheese' heading as the armour. As to the Ctrl + R cheat, I would consider it cheating, rather then 'just speeding things up' you can get an almost as fast result (real time) by selecting the rest until healed button for sleep options.

19. Sandor the Irrelevant Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

When resting until healed do you automatically use healing spells every eight hours?

Anyone know if monks can use scrolls of negative plane or whatever it is that prevents you from having levels drained?

20. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    Monks may use the Amulet of Power, IIRC, which protects them from level-drain.
    He may also use cleric-spell scrolls, but there are very few such items.
    To open chests, as per your previous question, get a girdle of giant strength and you should be able to bash open all the more important chests.
    Since you're still at level 11, Windspear isn't exactly the best place to go just yet.
    Try the Temple Sewers, Umar Hills (Best choice... be sure to get the Daystar first) or the Planar Prison.
    Make sure you have the Cloak of Non-detection and your Hide in the Shadows high so you can go around relatively unhindered.
    There's also the Twisted Rune and Kangaax. At level 11, you should be able to take care of both quests with some preparation, and your rewards will be very well worth it.
    Be especially intent on getting the Rings of Gaax before you go anywhere. Short of when tactics is installed, this quest should be on the top of the list for a soloer.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.