1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What spell do you use the most?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Gwyddyon, Aug 14, 2001.

1. theholygit Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I love just using chain contingency, packed with MM's. then i sleep. then i put in a spell trigger packed with MM's, then i sleep again. spell sequencer, with MM's, again. then i sleep and do the same with minor spell sequencer. i went to firkrages (SPL?) and had imoen with chain contingency packed with lower magice resistance.then all the missiles went out and that took him down to near death and aerie killed him with one hit from the maulers arm.

2. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] THE most-used spell is breach. Not necessarily the best, just the most used. I also find myself using True Sight every second battle or so - it's amazing how many of those critters use Shadow Door. :mad: The best damage-dealer is Abi Dalzim's, though, and the best disabling spell is Greater Malison. My new favorite tactic is Web + Cloudkill.

[This message has been edited by Tiamat (edited August 22, 2001).]

3. Magic Missle and Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting are great spells. Greater Malison is a must have, and you can follow it up with Chromatic Orb to petrify or istantly kill someone.

I'm suprised that it seems that no one ever uses Emotion: Hopelessness, it's like hold, but it applies for everyone and an unlimited amount of enemies. I just use it and half my enemies are just lying down there!

I also like Cloudkill for Umber Hulk killing and other enemies.

4. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

[​IMG] Thanks Gibbon! I'm glad someone got my joke!

5. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] My cleric cast these spells every day:
    - Protection from Evil 10' Radius
    - Chaotic Commands (on the "tanks")

6. NoYur_Role Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I would love to use prismic spray more often but my buddies have a nasty habit of getting in the way....

7. alky Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

greater malison + chromatic orbs = cheap petrification

8. Cestan Gems: 1/31

Favourite: Mordekain's sword, great against Illithid, and the green stone amulets you get when they die are jus great (automatic semi-mindshield)

Most cast:Magic Missile at low levels (as far as that's posiblle) and Horrid Wilting

9. Heironeous Gems: 1/31

It seems that most people use MM when at the start of the game it's pretty maxed out
    I use Chromatic Orb almost exclusively for a first level spell and save a spot or two for MM
    Chromatic Orb at most levels in BGII kills a downed troll easily and you can carry around many of them while MM you can't
    They only do magic damage while CO deals acid and fire damage without a save at different levels

10. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] IS this a poll?
    The post was "What SPELL do You use the most"
    Amazing that we have 149 spells from 48 person. I wote for a recount... Let's take it to america. they know how to count votes.

Top Ten

Magic Missile............23
    Abi-Dalzim's horrid wilting..8
    Chromatic Orb................8
    Stoneskin....................7
    Breach.......................7
    Greater Malison..............7
    Fireball.....................6
    Web..........................5
    Haste........................4
    Mirror Image.................4

The average bunch

Cloudkill....................3
    Melf's acid arrow............3
    Mordenkainen's sword.........3
    spider spawn.................3
    Pierce Magic.................3
    Monster summoning............2
    Melf's minute meteor.........2
    Chant........................2
    Protection from evil.........2
    Lower resistance.............2
    Gate.........................2
    The cream and butter

Wywern Call
    bless
    etheral sword (why not)
    flesh to stone
    Call apon holy might (free translation from Garathorn :p)
    Insect swarm
    Barkskin
    Holy smite
    Grease
    Spirit Shield
    Remove Magic
    Death Spell
    Dispel Magic
    Defensive Harmony
    Resist fear
    Remove fear
    Hold Person
    Horror
    Vampiric Touch
    Heal
    Silence
    Invisibility
    Sunfire
    Summon Nishruu (remember the spelling)
    Spell Sequencer
    Holy armor
    Entangle
    Stinking cloud
    Ice storm
    Finger of death
    Power word stun
    Invisible Stalker
    Animate dead
    Khelben's rewarding whip
    Chain Contingency
    Spell trigger
    Minor spell sequencer
    True sight
    Emotion
    Protection from evil 10'radius
    Chaotic Commands
    Prismatic Spray

Special price goes to Llandon's "infrasion" Why? see post "two" in this old thread. http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002625.html
    Thumbs up Llandon ;)

SOME STATISTICS
    True sight only mentioned once. Guess invisibility isn't that big a deal anyway

122 spells from 48 persons makes the avererage spells per person 3,10

Magic missile has 14,75% of the votes

Every 2,7 person has Magic missile as his favorite spell. SIDENOTE! 2,7 in percent is the same as rolling twelve with two dice

Thinking of beeing a specialst Mage?
    Here is the percentage of each school

EVOCATION...............37,4%
    ABJURATION..............13,6%
    CONJURATION.............12,9%
    ALTERATION..............10,9%
    NECROMANCY..............10,9%
    ENCHANTMENT..............7,5%
    ILLUSION.................3,4%
    INVOCATION...............2,7%
    DIVINATION...............1,4%

MORE INFO TO COME

MORE INFO:
    2 9th level spell squeezed its way through
    Gate and Chain Contingency. Interesting as it's only possible to attain 9th level spells in ToB

And this beauty of a Quote from Thorr concerning Mordenkainen's sword:

Fly baby, fly :p

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited August 29, 2001).]

11. Mirkwood Guest

[​IMG] So what hasn't been mentioned?

Improved Haste

I have Edwin exclusively memorise this in his level 6 slots ... when cast on my archer she has 9 attacks per round, this is pretty much a Greater Whirlwind that lasts for 20+ rounds.

12. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Where are you from Nobleman that you would use "," for "." (i.e. 4,6% opposed to 4.6%) interesting.

Not much for Resist/Remove Fear. That's also intresting. I don't do the yellow run around thing all that often and I have these spells to thank for it.

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited August 29, 2001).]

13. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

Upppps. Danish (or even european) system. What can I say? blame the system. I once saw a movie where the bad guy was from America. And he kidnapped a rich guy in scandinavia somewhere. He released the kid when he got a check of 1.000.000 dollars. When he went to the bank he got one buck. Bummer heh heh. :)

14. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] That long exposition by Nobleman put a big smile on my face! :D

A comment must be made, I can't help it.
    Prot from Evil 10' Radius. Are people not using clerics or have you just not seen the benefit of it? It lasts forever and the bonuses are just sooo good.
    Is there a reason not to cast it at the start of every day? There are days when I don't use MM since my party cleans house with weapons only, but I always cast Prot from Evil 10' Radius at least once every day!

15. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Yes Protection From Evil lasts 1 TURN per level. That's good. And if it makes you feeel better, I've been using it more lately ;)

Now what get's me is this => Just what is evil? Does it follow alignment to determine what is considered evil, and what enemies you will gain the bonuses against? In this case does every creature have an alignment (on down to less intelligent creatures such as gibberlings and carrion crawlers)? Are they labeled "evil", do they have alignments?

16. Thunderhammer Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Depends on the situation. Offensively, dispell and Magic Missile. Defensively, Stoneskin and Mirror Image. Bar none!

Hey NOBLEMAN, I live in America..Florida nonetheless and you DON"T want us counting the votes!

[This message has been edited by Thunderhammer (edited August 29, 2001).]

17. Caine Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Cone of cold constantly do you know how few baddies have cold resist

18. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Like disintegrate, cone of cold will totally destroy everything people carry except quest ones.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.