1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What spell do you use the most?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Gwyddyon, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

everybody comes up with Low level spells... does nobody use the higher level spells often?

2. Brega Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Well as i said earlier, Wyvern Call is very useful. Summon Hakaeshar is also good, but nothing really beats Gate hehe :D :D :D

3. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Infravision.....It's gotta be the most USEFUL spell....especially for my elf F/M/T

4. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Arcane: Magic Missile
    Divine: Heal

(Hey, what's that deformed avatar with two meat cleavers? Something from HoW or TotL?)

End boss of Icewind Dale, Belhifet.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited August 15, 2001).]

5. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

[​IMG] magic missile, later it's abi dalzim

6. Raistlin Majere Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

i really like the Gate spell i just cast PFE and set him loose i killed the evil necromancer in the planar sphere very quickly. also web M.M. and horridwilting

7. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I love magic missile for pure speed and killing pesky weak enmies eg gobbos,kobolds etc that it would be a shame to waste disintegrate on. I also like minute meteors for when dealing with easily burnable creatures (trolss/aire elementals)

8. Sol'Kanar Guest

When I played as an elven sorcerer, I always had some minute meteors on hand. Great for use between spells since you can throw them so quickly, and nothing burns a troll quite like a well-placed meteor. They can be used to disrupt an enemy spellcasters spells too if used right.

9. Llandon Gems: 13/31

Veteran

I guess noone thought my infravision spell joke was funny :(

Has ANYONE ever cast this spell?

10. Tasohan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] My favourite spells are the spell triggers.
    No Llandon i haven't cast infravision. Imagine a elven wizard cast infravision. Doh!

[This message has been edited by Tasohan (edited August 15, 2001).]

11. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Silence

12. Llandon Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Seriously....I have found that I only cast about 10 or so spells during the game (not counting cleric heal spells)

Magic Missle
    Mirror Image
    Invisibility
    Fireball
    Haste
    Sunfire
    Stoneskin
    Breach
    Pierce Magic
    Summon Nicheru (I know I spelled that wrong :()
    Summon Monsters

13. Kalten Gems: 1/31

Magic Missles is probably the most versatial spell in the game. It is one of the few spells you get early that continues to grow in power as you progress levels (imagine if you could progress beyond 5 missles). In many respects it is almost to usefull and I personally fall into the trap of always using them and never experimenting with some of the other spells in the game. Some of the later spells are very cool but they are typically very situational (i.e. remove another mages protection) or mass destruction that are hard to control.

14. The Grim Ripper Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] magic missile, fireball, and the brilll spell sequencer...

15. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

My most-cast spell other than MM is easily Holy Armor. My paladin, Keldorn, and Minsc all have only low spell-casting power, so they use it to beef up before a fight 'cause there aren't any other useful level 1 spells available to them (other than healing).

But as far as standard spell-casting goes, I love the entangle/web + stinking cloud/icestorm. And usually I even let them see me before casting it. Lead off with a Greater Malison just for fun.

If I could only get Jan to quit casting fireballs when so many of his party members are within the blast radius....

16. Moridin Gems: 1/31

Turn of the AI so he won't automatically throw fireballs around.

17. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

He doesn't. I tell him to and then pretned he did it on his own. I like role-playing in self-destructive ways.

(Actually I'm just too lazy to figure out the radius of the spell so I end up estimating and guessing too low.)

18. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Hmmm...here are my everyday spells:

- magic missile(good damage)
    - fire ball(good ol' goblin-buster)
    - abi dalzim's horrid wilting(goodie!)
    - finger of death(I like that! :D)
    - death spell(hail necromancy!!! :D)
    - power word stun(one of my favorites)
    - breach(it's a must to cast)
    - and summoning spells(spider spawn, animate dead, invisible stalker)

19. Thorr Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] I forgot to mention Mordenkainen's Sword. It's a great spell, with immunity to mind spells and phisicals attacks, it's absolute deadly. Imagine that 2 or three spells like that has cleared the Mind Flyer City :)
    The negative side is that is very hard to get this spell, I finished the game twice without finding this spell.

20. Gibben Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I thought your Infravision joke was funny, Llandon. I think I've used it one less time than I've used Protection from Petrification, which I've used . . . once. Let's get together and eat some Goodberries, and see if we can make Shillelagh useful, while we're at it. A +1 hammer, you say? Thanks. Now I can fix my roof . . . .

Loooove Khelben's Warding Whip, followed by a Pierce Magic or two (Breach thrown in if I want Mazzy to disrupt target's spellcasting with her 7 arrow attacks every 2 rounds), and a few Lower Resistances and Greater Malisons (maybe, a Doom, too) on those higher-level, magic-using meanies one might encounter later in the game. It's nice how effective those lower level spells work on . . . well, just about anything . . . after lining up all those spells on a baddie. Ever Spooked/Slept/Slowed/Blinded/Silenced/Enfeebled/Held the Slayer? Aerie can, pretty much, tap dance on his head wearing nothing more than her pretty, little smile after a good spell beat-down like that . . . .

Speaking of Aerie, I'm amazed how many beasties she's dispatched with Holy Smite . . . a few of those back-to-back can wipe out a pack of demons (just what IS the grouping-term for demons, like a flock of seagulls, a gaggle of geese, or a murder of crows?), or even a foul-tempered dragon that's been suitably . . . prepped.

[This message has been edited by Gibben (edited August 22, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.