1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kangaxx the Demilich

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by drahala, May 9, 2003.

1. Thewl Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Check this little trick out...
    The downloadable NPC "Valen", available at sorcerers, has a weapon (hands) that does 1d6+2... not very appealing. But after considering the fact that her hands do level drain, i realized that although Kangaxx doesn't take DAMAGE from +4 weapons or better, he still is HIT... therefore Valen with a scroll of magec protection can drain levels from the Demi-Lich and eventually you can instantly kill him with a cloudkill. I haven't tried this, but there is a good chance it might work. If anybody does it resp.

2. Bassilus Banned

What's the point in downloading a mod for an easy fight?

As long as you don't CHEAT, and what you do is still good roleplaying, it isn't cheesy at all. I do neither, so don't worry about that.

Most of the official walkthroughs suggest using a scroll of magic protection. HAH! That, my friend, is not cheesy, and I *still* don't need that! Now please cease making fun; just because *you* can't take down Shangalar on that level.

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I can't recall ever seeing anyone so blatently arrogant and pompous.... I think im just gonna stand here in stunned silence for a moment....

4. Bassilus Banned

And yet you haven't matched my accomplishments, nor have you proven me wrong.

5. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

As the simplest answer is getting a weapon that can damage a demilich, and a scroll that will protect you from his magics, why go any further than that? It's in the simplicity that you can find the power and intelligence, so to speak.

As for you Abazigal, what accomplishments? Do you know that I can actually fly in real life? You know, put my hand up and "whoosh" go up in the air? How'd you prove me wrong, you never saw me do that, afterall. Yeah I bet I can beat Irenicus solo at level 1 while polymorphed into a rabbit by a third party member too.

I mean, come on. You've done an excellent job wasting our time here on useless bragging, but how about you gave us something to back your claims up eh?

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    HAHAHAHAHA! Excellent post Foradasthar! ;)

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    All right, knock it off you bozos. Stick to the topic.

8. Barmy Army

Media:
    AWWW! but ripping a complete nogger is sooo much fun! :(

[What part of "Stick to the topic" didn't you get? - BTA]

[ May 31, 2003, 19:54: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

9. Charly3 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

All you need is a magic protection scroll, and there is a [snip] available from the [snip]

All you do is keep the 5 npcs by the door, walk right up to the cask, cast the scroll and then get your PC to keep hitting him with the sling - .

No cheating there, surely?

[ToB area & item removed.] -Tal

[ June 01, 2003, 14:50: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

10. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

What is this "XP" you speak of? Are there slings hidden in experience points or something? Hurhm.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] He didn't read the forum descriptions so he posted about a ToB area. I removed the spoiler.

12. Drumheller Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I tried this battle recently with my level 13/14 party. Protection from Undead wasn't useful for me because my entire party must be in the room. If I use the scroll on one guy, Kangaxx simply attacks someone else (you can't position everyone out of visual range). You could try invisibility, sanctuary, etc. to get around this, but I decided to fight him straight up. Fortunately, the magic resistance from Carsomyr and some pretty good saving throws kept me from too much damage. Dispel magic, true sight, and breach wore him down, and the instant his protection from magical weapons was down I used improved haste on my inquisitor to finish him off.

I fought him several times (reloads) and he likes using the power words stun and death, mislead, protection from magical weapons, summon efreeti, flesh to stone, finger of death, and I few others I forgot. His lich form is actually easier than some others I've fought.

BTW, Minsc's berserk does NOT protect him from being imprisoned. I found this out the hard way, of course :mad: . I used the old spell immunity: abjuration trick, but even so Kangaxx's wail of the demilich killed me a few times (reload . . .). Ring of the Ram and Carsomyr did the rest!

13. Barmy Army

Media:
    "BTW, Minsc's berserk does NOT protect him from being imprisoned"

I beg to differ...

I have tried this a good many times and it has never failed me. Perhaps a bug in ur game... in indeed, in mine! :rolleyes:

14. Drumheller Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

It could be a bug. I tried it only a few times because it was pretty obvious (and frustrating) that he's being imprisoned. Not a big deal for me because of alternate strategies.

15. spoogemonkey Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

There was a topic?

Oh yeah.... we were trying to decide who is the Baddest - Kangaxx or Abazigal's Ego? :D

[I don't like having to repeat myself mutiple times in the same thread. Don't make me do something drastic - BTA]

[ June 04, 2003, 00:38: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

16. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Wow Yaga Shura, you think your so bad? Download tactics and start playing on insane instead of very easy, then check out what It means to fight Kangaxx.

17. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Strifestrike, check out Yaga Shura's (aka Abazigal) "Ask Abazigal" and "Ask Abazigal 2" threads (and the related replies) on the ToB forum for some insight on his/her wisdom. I may be a newbie who's not entitled to comment on such things, but still.... (Then again, it's possible he/she may be just trying to get a reaction, so if that's the case, it worked. Maybe he/she should change his/her name to "Geraldo")

(Hmmm.... I could have sworn I saw a comment by Death Rabbit referring the earlier posts... perhaps I was mistaken)

(I have a feeling I might be hearing from Taluntain on this post, and deservedly so...))

18. Platypus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Going waaaay back to the actual original topic...

Yes, it is possible to protect all of your party members - buy them all scolls of Protection from Undead. If you do this then you can have just one person with Spell Immunity: Abjuration on and you can whack him in the ways described above. However, since Immunity can only be cast on the caster, I recommend using a spell that will allow your mage to actually hit something (Tenser's Transformation, perhaps?)

19. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

There are so many ways to cheese Kangaxx its unbelievable... Try ring of ram plus improved haste for example.

20. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yikes! - here we go with yet another "cheese vs legitimate tactics" debate. OK, being a newcomer to the Boards, I'll try to cut the cheeze. :D

Strifestrike, I've never actually tried your suggestion (I usually - OK, always - go with Ribald's protection scrolls), but what's so cheezey about the strategy you refer to (aside from the fact that they've been used about a gazillion times before)? At one point in time, they were probably considered to be an inventive way to beat Kangaxx. (Of course, the "at one point in time" part may be the entire point of your post.) Having said that, there's something to be said for "Tried and true". :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.