1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: How smart do you think you are?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Oaz, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I'm only 13, but I am smarter than most of my friends. I'm from Canada, so I don't get A's or C's, I get percents. My usual percents are like 96-100% on most things.

My friends are the same or a bit lower so we range from 90-100%. I'm going into grade 9 and I start exams this year...

Anyway, all people on this site are smarter than me, but I learn new things anyway! ;)

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Heh, it seems like most of the voters think very highly of themselves: ~20 say that they are very smart (above 16). Incidentally, this being the average, doesn't this place them all to the '10-13' class? :D

Meself, I voted for 'above average' when compared to Normal Joe and 'similar' when compared to SPers and others I know (uni people all of them). This probably doesn't tell anything else than the fact that most people I know are profs, MAs, BAs, engineers, whatever...

3. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I rated myself as above average intelligence in general. I think I'd be a hell of a lot more intelligent if I hadn't spent several years of my life killing multitudes of braincells.

My peers are about equal intelligence I'd say. I like to be around people I can have a decent conversation with. My best friend is way to smart however. She's a certified psycologist and has always been smarter than most people I know. (me included)

As far as SPers go. There are a lot of smart people here. I would say that in some areas I excell and in some areas I not so strong. So I guess I rate myself around equal here.

4. Atari Man Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

It seems everyone is putting above average. How can you be above average if everyone else is above average? Isn't the average what the majority of people are? :lol:

Ok I guess mine would be below average/ worse/ worse since everyone I talk to or hang out with seems to outsmart me. As for the people on SP well, lets jusy say I have to skip over certain posts that are beyond me. :)

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Of course everyone's putting above average. Tal's rules screen out all the random schmoes who can't figure out how to work their keyboards. Thanks to him, we've got the cream of the crop here, and that includes you, Atari Man. I even find it somewhat hard to believe that somebody on this site would rate themselves in the low category. :rolleyes:

6. Oaz Gems: 29/31

That's an interesting statement, since I was considering doing this poll on similar sites that lack Tal's rules for grammar. I have my doubts whether there will be a difference. Personally, I think there is a dearth of humility when people communicate through the internet.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Our boards are a bit of an elitist club, there's no doubt about that. A rather large one, but still. People who come here either have no issues following the rules set down for the community, or soon learn to live with them. The majority of the rabble leaves for greener pastures as soon as they see that we actually enforce the rules everyone agrees to follow upon registration. Being able to follow arbitrary rules online because you are realizing that by doing so you are contributing positively to the whole community is no small thing. There are a great number of people who are incapable of this.

So, just being here already counts for something. ;)

[ August 04, 2005, 16:09: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

8. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Someone, somewhere on this boards said recently that having played a bg or bg-like game through is indication enough to assume above-average problem solving willingnes and capabilities- Endurance hasn't to be mentionend.

I tend to agree.

Ha, and if anyone thinks, that I'd admit feeling intellectually inferior to people I argue with on the internet.... no.

It's safe to say that I am either brighter than honest or more vain than smart.

9. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I can work my keyboard just fine, it's my fingers that don't always co-operate...

10. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Ack, now you made it sound like we are holding a snob-club here... :mommy:

That's what I said too. But isn't it relative to who you associate with? I bet the drunkards in the local bars are feeling very smart too when they discuss/sing about politics and stuff. ;)

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    All genres of games require some abilities of the mental kind. The BG saga is no different from Quake here. Just think of the hand and eye coordination those Counter Strike kiddies must have. They might have no idea about character creation, problem solving, roleplaying... but defeating a couple of other guys in multiplayer FPP takes lots and lots of quick thinking, some instinct tactics and, as I mentioned, coordination. Then you have adventure games for guys who aren't much into roll playing ( :p ) but love their puzzles while submerging in a captivating scenery and storyline. Then goes the management in real time strategies, economic simulators etc, the strategic mind and wholesome grasp of the situation you need for some turn-based strategies. Or the ability to stay focused but still flexible in car racing games. Did I mention all those WWI-III flight simulators? :p Really, RPG players aren't necessarily the most intelligent of all. Another thing is what appeals to whom and RPGs probably have the biggest potential to attract smart people.

12. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

". . . the fictional community of Lake Woebegone, where all the children are above average."

An RPG board attracts smart people? :b:

For some reason, Magic: the Gathering attracts stupid people. And children. And stupid children.

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I am utterly convinced that everyone who put themselves above "above average" are a lot less smart than those who put themselves merely on "above average". Lack of self insight doesnt speak highly of a persons brightness. :p

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

woo, as someone that put on above average, i tend to agree :p :D

15. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@joacqin:
    We're measuring Intelligence here, not Wisdom. For me, it's high INT, low WIS. :p :roll:

16. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I don't DO Wis :D

17. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Yes, but as Tal stated, the SP boards are somewhat of an elitist club. I have long been convinced that people that enjoy RPGs are more intelligent than the general population.

A while ago, there was a survey conducted of this site to see what percentage of the regular posters held advanced degrees (Master's or better). I believe the results placed most people in this category. While degrees are not necessarily a sign of intelligence, the stupidest people around generally don't put themselves through the effort of earning an advanced degree.

18. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Just based on the posts I would put the average SPer, who posts regularly, at above average IQ. Now out of almost 9000 registered members that would not be very many. (Yes, I include the spam, too. Some of it anyway.) :)

There is a possibility that those who don't post are off doing something more intelligent.

19. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

And remember, you asked for our opinion of ourselves. Intelligence is like a joke. When you tell a joke, you think it's funny, but you might be the only one. Just like you think you're smart, but others may not agree...

20. Register Gems: 29/31

Nope, he had 183, IIRC.

Cause, I don't think I have a higher IQ than Einstein did. 142 for me, and yes, I know that IQ does NOT equal intelligence.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.