1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Commonly Confused Words Test

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Ofelix, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Atari Man Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

100%/100%/93%/63%

Not bad for someone who slept through the majority of english class.

2. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 53% Expert!

lot bad for we asian who lon't lormolly speeku engulis.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I am impressed by the results achieved by those of you for whom English is not your first language. You have put some of the native speakers of English to shame.

4. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Well, how about that... A scientist who can write in sentences! :D

It's not surprising that so many for whom English isn't the first language score well; grammar teaching in Britain is virtually non-existent, unless you learn a foreign lanuage (perversely). Many who haven't done another language to a decent level (Foundation tier at GCSE basically doesn't require grammar) will hardly see any grammar at all. It's one of the biggest problems with language teaching at the moment; people often have to learn basic sentence structure at the same time as a foreign language. There's no incentive for people to teach grammar in English lessons, because it's undervalued by the Curriculum. It's all been a part of the push to make exams easier, to keep results increasing each year, to make the politicians look good. Grammar is difficult for some people, so it keeps getting pushed further back in the priorities. And I'm always amazed by the number of people who think that there's no need to bother with grammar and spelling outside of English lessons. :rolleyes:

5. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

He copied that from the results page. :D

That's odd. I mean, english grammar is not that hard to learn, compared to german and french.

Maybe that's the reason for all these strange accents I can never quite understand. ;)

My result: You scored 100% Beginner, 85% Intermediate, 80% Advanced, and 80% Expert!

Not bad for a non-native speaker who never really had a chance to actually speak english.

I was lucky that none of the questions asked for the distinction of this and that. I usually mix them up. ;)

Oh, and I have no idea about english interpunction rules. Never had them in school.

6. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Advanced
    You scored 100% Beginner, 92% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 66% Expert!
    You have an extremely good understanding of beginner, intermediate, and advanced level commonly confused English words, getting at least 75% of each of these three levels' questions correct. This is an exceptional score. Remember, these are commonly confused English words, which means most people don't use them properly. You got an extremely respectable score.

Quite good, considering It's not my mother language and I didn't receive much lessons

7. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Interestingly much of my English skills comes from forum-surfing and later, chatroom dwelling (my wit sharpened, too). And they say computers are bad for you.

8. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Advanced Beginner
    You scored 85% Beginner, 71% Intermediate, 86% Advanced, and 60% Expert!
    You have a good understanding of beginner and advanced commonly confused English words, getting at least 75% of the beginner and advanced level questions correct. You didn't get as many of the intermediate level questions correct, but don't fret. This is not a bad score at all. Remember, these are commonly confused English words, which means most people don't use them properly anyway. You got a respectable score.

Hmm ... quite embarressing given where I come from but hey, everyone says I speak the Queen's English Accent so its all good ;)

9. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

You scored 92% Beginner, 85% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 60% Expert!
    You have an extremely good understanding of beginner, intermediate, and advanced level commonly confused English words, getting at least 75% of each of these three levels' questions correct. This is an exceptional score. Remember, these are commonly confused English words, which means most people don't use them properly. You got an extremely respectable score.

10. Sniper Gems: 28/31

My dad got this:

English Genius
    You scored 92% Beginner, 92% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 80% Expert!

Lol my arse is he a genius :p

11. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

My mom (who teaches history in high school) got:
    as compared to my
    She will not be living this down :grin:

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You've only got to read some of the posts by people from England to see that some of the worst crimes against English are perpetrated by the English themselves.

Example: Barmy Army's use of the phrase "having at it". Whilst we can pretty much guess what he means, and he probably uses it all the time when talking to his friends, the phrase itself is gibberish. Having what at what exactly?

13. Sniper Gems: 28/31

I think it would be fair to say that the way people learn their native language is different to say learning a second language as the process of doing so is done differently.

Needless to say, I expect people learning English as their second language to achieve better results

Edit: Just realised that Magpie has pretty much voiced my thoughts

14. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

English Genius
    You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 80% Advanced, and 86% Expert!

More than happy, as i am yet another of those who don't speak english as the mother tongue :D

15. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Advanced

You scored 92% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 73% Expert!

The hardy/hearty one got me...I thought you could use both...

stationary/stationery got me as well...

hanged/hung...

and a few more...

I'm a little disappointed in myself to be honest. (did I organize that sentence correctly? I don't even know! I'm a hopeless boob.)

16. Harbourboy

Easiest way to remember that is that the 'stationER' sells you 'stationERY'.

17. Sniper Gems: 28/31

I thought stationary was a way of staying, well, still lol

18. Harbourboy

Sniper, it is.

19. Jazhara7 Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

English Genius
    You scored 92% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 80% Expert!
    You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!

Thank you so much for taking my test. I hope you enjoyed it!

---------

Not too bad for a non-native speaker, is it? :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.