1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Triple digit Temperatures...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Kitrax, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Atari Man Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

105F in the shade, and thats not even considering how high our humidity is. (rains almost every night)

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Jaguar, I agree. You are all nuts to live where the weather sounds so unbearable.

3. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

This is the 6th consecutive night: 0:35 = 37C.

4. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Same as Ofelix, we had -40 F here last winter, though we had it for a lot more than a week though! Always freezing up here in the winter...

I'd be happy if the scale stopped at somewhere around 68F, if it gets much warmer i think it's a bit to much. Can't see how you can stand over a 100 at all! I'd go loco :nuts:

5. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Well, I consider the concept of snow evil... :lol: Good thing I've never seen the stuff.
    I don't tolerate cold at all. If the temps hit freezing, my skin is cracked and bleeding, and I am flat miserable.

I'm willing to put up with 90 degree weather as a tradeoff for no snow.

6. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

I prefer heat over cold. Living in Sweden, that gets pretty frustrating. For about 3 weeks, we had temperatures around 30 degrees C (86 degrees F). That was nice. When those 3 weeks ended, it has rain almost every day...

I wish I could have those temeratures or higher all year around...

7. Biffle Chump Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@Stefanina: You've never seen snow!?! Then you haven't truely lived!

8. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

Snow is overrated, so is the winter. All it does is give you a cold and hides the sun from you for all but a few hours every day. If you realy must try to enjoy snow, do it right below the freezing point so that you can atleast make snowballs.

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Or you could live somewhere sensible which has neither freezing snow nor sweltering heat. No trade-off required at all.

10. Biffle Chump Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Hey, Kit, do you think the storms are an improvement?

11. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Evil snow?! Winter's the best thing ever! No no no it's hot temperature that aren't tolerable! No Cold is by far superior, you can do thing to heat up your body while in hot temperature you can't do nothing except close up in your house with your air conditionner and do nothing of your life.

12. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

@HB and other 'wimps' - "it takes all kinds to make a world"; this thread, with widely varying opinions on what the 'ideal' climate is, merely proves the above aphorism, and that homo sapiens sapiens is an extremely adaptable species, able to learn to tolerate many "inhospitible" places.

FWIW, Newfoundland, Canada is much like our 'soft' cousins on the west coast ;) - summer rarely above 30c, winters often staying *around* freezing (that big Atlantic works hard to moderate temps), and before you say we get more precipitation - the one time I visited BC for Expo86 it rained all but one day I was there! :p

I personally would prefer cold to hot; you can always put on clothes/light a fire/turn up the heat/etc, but when you're stripped to the skin, trying to sleep on the AC unit, not much can help. :D (I lived a couple years in the US midwest - Iowa - so I got to experience a vastly different climate. :heh: )

Seriously, I do not consider Jaguar, Blog, HB, or anyone else lucky to be in a mild climate a 'wimp', but if y'all keep inadvertently gloating about it, we hardy souls will drag you kicking and screaming out into something like the Outback, the Mojave, or the like for a while, then up to some snow-capped peaks of the Rockies, Alps, etc. to make ya shatter from the quick temp change ;)

13. Harbourboy

It's hardly gloating. This has turned into a thread about what sort of extreme weather people have to / want to put up with. I have just been highlighting that, in my opinion, I would much rather have mild weather than extreme weather. Luckily (or maybe consequentially), my home climate matches my preference.

14. Stefanina Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, yeah, I'll remember that next hurricane that comes around...

I don't like heavy clothing, and fires only work when you're practically on top of them, then you end up smelling like a firepit.
    The best thing to do when it's hot is to drink lots and lots of water.

15. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well...the one thing you'll never find in the colder climates of the world is nudist colonies...no one is going to want to run around naked in the freezing cold...unless they are the human equivalent to a whale. :eek:

And the best thing to do on an unbearably hot day is to go swimming! In a pool, a river, a lake, a sea, the ocean, or any other body of water sounds good to me. :thumb: :rolling:

16. Stefanina Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, that's fun too, but don't forget to drink water. You can get dehydrated swimming, and bieng waterlogged and dehydrated is no fun. I see it happen all the time to tourists not familiar with the Florida climate...

17. Shayleigh Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

@Stefanina
    I agree. *laughs at my cousins in FL*

The humidity made it feel like 110 fahrenheight (um, 45 celcuis?) where I live. Gaaa! I'm glad I was on vacation in CA at that time. :p

18. Fiatil Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Yep, easily reaches (and is reaching) the triple digits in Oklahoma at this time of year. Also can be quite humid depending on the day, which makes it even worse.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.