1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Alignment

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Arendil, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Damn it. I answered NG because I always play that way, but then thought about it. I don't really care about others when they're in my way. I often enjoy humiliating others who aren't as verbally skillful. I'm NE or CE.

EDIT: Just did the quiz. CE.

[ June 29, 2005, 14:23: Message edited by: Yirimyah ]

2. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

8people, Felinoid :wave:

I stand corrected. :square:

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Well, well. It looks like Arabwel has company. :D Too bad Yirimyah didn't realize before he voted.

4. Aslyn Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I have always considered myself CG and took that test thing..still says CG

I dont pretend to give $ to every person walking the street but I volunteer my time, I attend Community Meetings and have been tossed in the slammer for protesting..

I think that one doesnt have to be lawful to live freely in society, You just have to know when to pick your fights and when to save the battle for another day..Aside from the fact that everyone knows Stealing a car will just eventauly get you caught, and serves no purpose..Howver stealing a loaf of bread to feed your family, you may get caught but if nothing else your family got to eat..

Unfourtunatly I feel that in Society too many people have the "me, me, me" attitude..people dont care if their next door neighbor cant afford to buy food or what nots..So those who do care about others and try to help whenever they can, get overstretched financialy and emotionaly because no 1 person can save the world..

5. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Yay! *glomps Yirimyah*

Welcome to the club :D

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I'm not a wild do-gooder either -- I don't give money to people on the street or volunteer at a soup kitchen. However, I know my rights under the Constitution of my country and I expect to protected by them. I also afford other people the same protection. I give to charities and don't kill the neighbour's cat for crapping on my lawn. So on those points I say I'm LG. LG aren't always do-gooders or self effacing.

Any American who believes in the American Constitution would seem to me to be lawful (based on their belief in the importance of a codified set of laws), be he Dem, Rep, or Independant.

7. Aslyn Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

@LKD

hmmm..

You have a point, I can agree that in some-ways we all have our lawful tendancies, the ideals of a CG is to challenge our government and society in general to make laws fair and unbiased to all who are required to abide by them, not just the folks with deeper pockets..

8. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

*glomp, whatever it may be*

being evil doesn't require large-scale pointless cruelty. It just requires a lack of respect for moral codes and the ability to enjoy inflicting injury (physical, mental, or social).

9. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    glomp = ruunning tackle type of hug :D

and yup, evil is not about torturing puppies :D

10. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

You mean I've been doing it wrong all this time? :doh: ;)

No wonder I scored "Neutral" on hedron's test, then... :p

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @LKD: Lawful Neutrals could still donate to charities, I think, the same way as some of them dedicate their lives to their communities. I'm pretty sure Lord Nasher Alagondar of Neverwinter or Khelben Arunsun from Waterdeep give some charitable funding. On the other hand, you look more like a goodie, yourself.

@Aslyn: Yeah, that sounds as an iconic CG drive. But still Lawfulness is not about making the rich richer and the poor poorer, let alone unfair laws and nowadays constitutional courts (or even regular courts doing the same job) along with all sorts of ombudsmen are viewed as a necessary element of the rule of law and lawfulness of a state.

12. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The test says NG but I think I am close to CG than NG

13. Atari Man Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Neutral Good for me.
    "I'm a well wisher, as in I don't wish you any immediate harm."

@anyone who tried to argue with Bion. You failed miserably...wisdom cant be beaten by your own distorted views of the world. Its best to hang up our arrogance and and put away our egos when discussing such things! :)

14. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    The character I resemble most is Jaheira no doubt (character wise), but she can be too fanatic in trying to preserve order and balance, ignoring common sense, so I chose neutral good. Deep down I don't want to cause anyone any harm, not nature for mankind's sake and not mankind for nature's sake.

I don't deliberatly go against the wishes of the authority, but I have strong opinions and will speak my mind if I feel like it. I think every human being is on the same level and if e.g. a professor doesn't treat me right, he can expect an e-mail expressing my dislike (over here professors are still demi-gods you best don't look straight in teh eye :rolleyes: ).

the quiz says

Lawful Neutral

A lawful neutral character acts as law, tradition, or a personal code directs her. Order and organization are paramount to her. She may believe in personal order and live by a code or standard, or she may believe in order for all and favor a strong, organized government. The common phrase for lawful neutral is "true lawful." Lawful neutral is the best alignment you can be because it means you are reliable and honorable without being a zealot.

Well, guess that fits me too. Personal code and stuff.

15. chevalier

Media:
    That still sounds like Jaheira :p (apart from the quiz score). :D

16. Felinoid

@Atari Man:
    Okay, let me get this straight. Your opinions are wisdom, while the rest of us have distorted views of the world. :rolleyes: Right back at ya. The truth (of most things) is that there is no one right answer! That's why people argue. (It's also fun. :D )

Now, if you would really like to believe that the entire world is filled with drones who refuse to challenge the status quo, might I suggest that you find an island and invite all your friends so that you can live out your incredibly boring dream. I prefer to believe that everyone is different and can choose their own path, and I pity anyone who would give up so easily on choosing theirs, and simply live a life of mediocrity, defined by what they think others will let them do.
    (Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that either you or Bion are one of these people. It's also possible that you are simply surrounded by so many of said drones that it's giving you a "distorted view of the world". :hahaerr: )

17. chevalier

Media:
    Well, that's given me a thought, in turn. I suppose there is some truth in "there is no one right answer". The idea is that there are absolute criteria for lawful/chaotic and good/evil acts.

On the other hand, though, do we know those criteria? Even if we happen to do, or we think we do, in a specific case, who is really lawful? The one doing the lawful thing because you know it's objectively lawful or the one doing things he sees as lawful, out of a lawful motivation?

There are many things that we won't agree if lie on the good/evil or the lawful/chaotic axis. Let's take stealth. Most people will think stealing is chaotic, unlawful, but not necessarily evil. Then again, stealing from a poor and crippled person is not exactly un-evil in most normal people's minds.

Now I could start ranting on how any stealth is evil, by succumbing to lust for material goods and placing such own whims above other people's rights, doing harm for profit etc. See? It isn't that difficult. But it won't really work for a half-elven teenager stealing an apple on the market. Probably not even for thieves guild members raiding the house of another merchant with less than clean hands.

There are more such issues, not just stealth (adultery, the use of torture on prisoners etc). Also, in a given situation, we may even end up each considering a different course of action lawful while the other one chaotic. For example, is it lawful to obey your authority to the letter even if it's against the law or an oath or contract, or is it lawful to stand up for the rules? What's lawful -- protecting an individuals legitimate interests and constitutional rights even against the good of the community, or sacrificing individual rights for common good? Extreme legal positivism (i.e. the kind of legalism sticking firmly to the letter of the law set up by the proper authority) or adherence to the natural law and concepts of justice?

See? It isn't so simple. :p

18. Atari Man Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

@Felinoid:
    You seem to think I was implying that i'm wise and you're all dumb. This is not the case at all. I'm not especially good with words so alot of people mistake my point. I was just suggesting Bion had some good points that should be considered. :)

Back on topic, good and evil is really just our own perspective of the whole picture. Perhaps there is only one alignment but we tend to sperate them into two polar extremes based on our own morals. We label certain things as being bad or being lawful, etc. But dont we see the world as we choose to see it?

Somehow I get the feeling several people are going to slap me for saying that.

19. Felinoid

Not at all. I was only trying to point out your own ego in assuming that your view of the world isn't as 'distorted' as everybody else's. :heh:

[deep thoughts]
    We each see only a miniscule portion of Earth at any one time, and that one piece is almost certainly not representative of the entire world. So the only way we can really judge is to try to imagine just a little past what we have seen, and wonder how much past that there really is...
    [/deep thoughts]

I wish I could slap you . . . on the back. :) I think you actually might have gotten what I meant better than chev. It's entirely a matter of perspective. It's a judgement on another person's motives, which are completely subjective.

And I wouldn't have bothered to argue with Bion if I didn't see some reasoning (misguided as I think it is ;) ) in his statements. I simply feel that though humans as a race seem to have mellowed over the centuries, we still have a wide range of personalities and motives.

20. Woodwyrm Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I got Neutral Good :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.