1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is with this dragon

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by garathorn, Jul 29, 2001.

1. garathorn Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] ok im fighting this big black mother in the elven vilage i need a cup of him to get to the "exile" or as we better know him Irenicus is there any simple way to kill him what so ever
    thanks in advance garathorn

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Aaah, you are talking about the black dragon of Sundalessalar. I really like him. A nice beast that casts druid spells ... and the only one you can cast call lightning on :D Generally I found electricity works great on dragons - so I used wands of lightning, lightning bolts, call lightning and sequenced triple lightning bolts while two or three fighters kept him busy in melee. He went down failrly quick.
    I like to use the opening spell combo breach & double lower resistance or better - Jaheira's cleric magic resistance spell ;) ... it is also funny to use a sequenced double greater malison and spook ...

And if all this fails there is the option to trade all your equipment for the cup :D ;) - also not too bad for a cunning coward :D

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited July 29, 2001).]

3. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Trade all your equipment for the cup!?!?! Is that all the equipment on the main character or the whole party? Bah better to just kill the dragon.

4. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Not just your equipment - but all your gold as well :).

5. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

but you can drop all your things and just let him have your gold.. although this could be a problem in tob

6. Big B Gems: 27/31

Forget it I'm way too stingy! I always seem to complete with excess gold but I wouldn't have it any other way. Time to die dragon!

7. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31

there seems to always be an escape route for dragons,
    Spoiler
    you can walk past shadow, you can bargain with black, silver doesn't even go hostile if you attack it, i think you can just tell firkrag that he is much better than you but the girl dies or something, the one in hell you can just go talk to.. but they are the most entertaining fights in the game. way better than irenicus.

8. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I had Jan cast "flesh to stone" on him; he went from "barely injured" to stone dead before anyone in my party even got hurt. Probably I was just really lucky, but this was so effective for me that it is worth a try.

[Edit: He doesn't disintegrate from Flesh to Stone, so you can still grab the cup]

[This message has been edited by Sprite (edited August 01, 2001).]

9. garathorn Gems: 5/31

thanks for all your help ill use lightening but im never running i was thinkng this morning of useing "the slayer" to bring him down is this a good idea
    thanks again:garathorn

10. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Slayer vs. dragon deathmatch? ;) Uh - never tried that, sounds interesting. Please keep us informed about your progress.

11. I cast disintegrate on him and it worked. It must have been a really lucky break.

BUT...get a wand of lighting, they shoot out multiple bolts, and if you laeave a pause in between selecting the target, you can focus all of them on one dragon.

12. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31

Doesn't casting Flesh to Stone or Disintegrate on him defeat the point? How do you get the cup? :D

13. garathorn Gems: 5/31

well the slayer worked and it was a battle and a half but now i cant kill irenicus cause he keeps doin time freez

14. Big B Gems: 27/31

Too bad dragons don't cast Time Stop (lol time freez)! ;)
    Either disrupt Jon so he can't cast it, although you'll have to dispel his protective magics first, or take the damage and go with it.

15. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Has anyone tried to imprison a dragon?
    If it is possible then dragonslaying is like chopping away some unfortunate goblins.

16. Gwyddyon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I think I must have a bug, because last time I played through (and I'm by no means a 'power gamer', I prefer the RP experience) I defeated him in under 20 seconds:-{ It was dissapointing, really. :(

17. DemoGorgon Guest

wow, flesh to stone worked on a dragon? thats cool

18. Oricalcum Gems: 5/31

Imprisoning wouldn't help kill the dragon would it? I would figure you could lay 10 or so traps where he went down and bring him back up.

19. Gueng Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

If you're fighting any one of the SoA dragons, you can force attack all of them. Traps are awesome for this if you have a high level thief. I think I was fighting Firkragg (Red) and I layed about 5-6 traps. I then force attacked him and they all went off and took him down about 75%. I killed all of the dragons in ToB with my 33rd+ level Monk. Greater Whirlwind Attack rules. I walked through ToB using that and a Monk. The great part about it is that if they cast a protection from Magical Weapons (or Mantle), I can switch him to a regular Kitana and do GWWA and still get 10 attacks in one round. Takes out Stoneskins real quick. I think he has 13 per day now.

20. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

33rd level... CHEATER! EXTREMIST GET HIM!!!
    Tal, TOB in SoA, IOW!!!

And 6 traps around Firkraag is just plain cheesy anyway. Youre taking advantage of a scripting oversight and thats just plain lame. Do you think a dragon would let you just set traps up around it? Think about that one for a second. How would you react to someone setting traps up around you, would you just sit there willingly while your doom was set up around you? NO! I geuss since it is your game you can be as cheesy as you wish, just dont brag to us about it or you'll just get more scathing messages in kind.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.