1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tips on tipping

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Charlie, May 13, 2005.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yes, confusingly, tipping differs completely from country to country and therefore should be one of the first things you check in your guidebook before visiting another place.

In New Zealand, you only tip if you are some sort of rich person in a restaurant and you want to show off to your dining partners what a big-wig you are. I hate it when a tip is built into the bill for parties of 6 or more. Tipping should only ever be completely optional, in my opinion.

JSBB - lol! Someone tried to tip their accountant?!

2. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I've always been taught that 12 to 15 percent was standard ettiquette. I am usually satisfied if I leave close to that where possible...

3. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

In singapore, tipping is included in the "service tax", as they called. In malaysia, tipping is non exsistance. When i come to u.s., i forced myself, unwillingly, to tip for 1 dollar and nothing more. Yeah, my friends have funny, almost loathing looks on me, but i cherish my money, and i never asked to be serviced.

However, i think, no matter where you go, tipping is a must for hotel services.

4. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well, I know tipping is not as commonplace in the UK as it is in the US. I tip cab drivers if they are not miserable and I tip my hairdresser. I don't have a problem with tipping. If I am happy with the service I have received then I will not begrudge giving someone a tip.

5. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I realize that tips are a good way to augment one's income but I've always seen it as something optional. Admittedly some may earn a pittance but that shouldn't be a go signal for you to mouth off at your customer.

6. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well...AFAIK, tipping in India is at 10% of the bill. Extra if you thought the service was really good.
    None if you thought it was bad.

7. Alehldean

Alehldean For humanity's sake, please keep all appendages

As T2Bruno said, in the US, the minimum wage for waiters is only $2.15 vs. $5.15 per hour for any other job. It's therefore virtually expected for you to leave a tip. The restaurant I work in adds a 15% gratuity charge for any group over 8 people. It's assumed the larger groups are going to be more trouble and require more work.

Having a mother that has been a waitress for the majority of my life, it's been drilled into me that if you received good service, you leave a good tip. I'm by nature a fairly free spender any ways so I tend to tip a good bit.

We have had customers refuse to tip because they thought it wasn't right for waiters to make so little, and this was how they fought. Instead of, you know, pressuring for legislative changes.

8. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

In the Philippines, tipping is optional. Some restaurants or service providers have "service charge" include into the bill, almost always 10%. In this case, customers may want to forego tipping. On the other hand, some generous customers would leave a tip irregardless of the "service charge". Tips are not exactly by percentage of the bill but would largely depend on the change. Some people would just take the bills and leave the coins as tip. While other would leave an amount that they have unconciously considered as their own tipping standard. These personal tipping standard may vary depending on the status (or class) of the establishment. Bad services seldom get tips.

Taxi cabs is completely a different story. Most taxi drivers in Metro Manila are "unfair" (for lack of better words). Fare is usually automatically rounded off to the nearest tens. While the rude ones would actually even ask for additional. In the provices, however, you will most of the time get your change to the last centavo. In my case, I get rude with rude drivers, they will get the "the hell with you attitude from me". While those who would give me the proper change, would mostly get to keep the change (of course, there's a limit to the amount). Usually I just rounded it off to the nearest tens.

IIRC, Hong Kong doesn't really practice tipping, the waiter actually ran after us to return the tip we left, he thought we have accidentally left the money.

9. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

No tipping in Finland for the most part. The food here is so damn expensive and the waitors get so competetive wage that it would be plain robbery if we would be expected to pay tips. Abroad it's usually 15-20%, once I even left no tip when I was in Poland and the service was horrible and we waited over 1,5 hours for the check, and the reastaurant was nearly empty! Perhaps not the kindest thing to do but we were seriously pissed of then.

10. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'll tip for good service. I don't bat an eyelash at not giving a tip if the service is bad, or if I was made to wait an hour longer than everybody else, irrespective of societal conventions. The latter has happened to me before, and I guess its an example of bad service.

Guess I was swayed by that debate in Reservoir Dogs. :D

11. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

As Aikanaro said, tipping is virtually unheard of down here - I you give a 20 for something that costs $19.95, you will always be given 5c back.

12. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Cant remember who did and said this, but it makes more sence. The waiter shouldnt be tipped, all they do is write down your order and bring you your meal, its the chef that should be tipped.

13. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ehh? It's normal in your country to tip ('reward') people for bad service??

Not sure about the netherlands. Tipping is not expected, but it happens a lot, I guess. I usually tip 15%, more for very good service and no tip for bad service.

*Ting* 2k

14. Misantrophe Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@ Morgoroth
    i think that's what determines the tipping amount in different countries. as i heard from friends in US, tips constitute a big part of waiters' wage so you are expected to tip and in others like TR tips are considered as bonuses and we usually tip 10% for okay service and none for arrogant waiters. for good service you can leave 20 %

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Beren,

you echo my, and Mr. Pink from Reservoir Dogs´, sentiments exactly. :D I would tip if it was exceptionally good but it pisses me off when you´re made to feel that you HAVE to, especially if they complain that it´s too little (which has happened in the US when we left around 10% :rolleyes: )

16. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Tipping sound like a scam to get around paying taxes and for diners and bars to get away with paying lower wages.

17. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Exactly, the worst thing in the US is that the staff expect tips not matter what, they don't even try to 'earn' their tip (to be fair, most waiters/waitresses did a great job).

Not that I expect the staff to flirt with me or anything, but some being friendly is the least they can do.

18. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Good point.
    Flirting is not a part of the job (not at the places I go, at least :p ) and I will not tip for it.
    I tip for good service. That is friendly behaviour, quick service if possible, alertness, tidyness (no thumb in the soup, not too much empty glasses on table etc)

19. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

By and large I tip 15% unless service was exceptional or really bad. Most of the time when I find a restraunt that automaticly includes a gratuity I refuse to return on the basis that a tip is my way of thanking a individual waiter.

20. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Resevoir dogs?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.