1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Import vs. newly created.

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Bassil Warbone, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] just curious, did you created a new character or imported one from BG1 the first time you played your first game after buying BG2? What was your class, race, sex, and reason for this character?

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Both - sort of. I tried to import my character from BG, but it didn't really work properly in that it made me re-roll the stats even though it carried the name, race, class etc over. Never quite worked out why that happened.

3. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31

That happened to me as well when I tried to import from a .chr file. So I moved the BG1 saved game to the BG2 save folder and imported from a saved game and it worked fine.??

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

If you have to reroll stats (STR, DEX, etc.), there's something wrong with your installation. If, OTOH, you're talking about choosing proficiencies, assigning thief skill points for thieves, choosing a racial enemy for rangers, and choosing spells for the spellcasters, that's normal. It's done because all of those lists are different in BG2.

The first time I played BG2, I imported my uber-killer from BG1. A Thief15->Fighter, who it took me three BG1 solos to get enough XP for (one vanilla thief, two vanilla fighter to get the thief levels back; the last two were wasted as BG2 dropped my fighter XP back to 0). While she was an untouchable fury in BG1, there were a lot of things I wasn't prepared for in BG2 because it's so magic-oriented. Greater Deathblow saved my hide more than once against groups of magic-using and psionic enemies like mind flayers.

5. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31

Thats exactly what I mean.

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The first time I played with a F/M, I rolled a new character.

I've imported since and had no problems.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The only thing I had to do to get it to import properly was to copy the file from the BG1 character folder to the BG2 character folder. Then when you chose import you select from character file instead of from saved game.

Fel - the reason your last two runs were wasted is that BG2 doesn't let you import a character with more than 161,000 XP. But I'm guessing you already knew that. The thing that seems odd about your story is that you shouldn't even have been able to be a level 15 thief with that restriction.

8. Felinoid

Actually, that's a little loophole in the system. It can't dock XP or levels on an inactive class. :D So theoretically you could play BG1 5 or more times and keep all that experience so long as you dualled just before you exported it to import into BG2.

9. maipai Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I played baldur's gate 2 before the first one so I created a new character.

10. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

I believe importing is better because you get to continue the original. More fun that way

11. Ironmancal2131

Ironmancal2131 Nice head, I think I'll take it

I enjoy importing because you have continuity with the first, plus the tomes help.

12. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

The tomes are always a big help though, I believe it's the experience of going from one game to the other which really matters though

13. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

The first time I played BG2 I used a Druid, then I found out about the tomes in BG (I'd missed them all when playing the first time) and went through as a fighter, imported him into BG2 converted him to a Kensai and played him. In general though I have just played BG2, but I've just got BG with the Tales of the Sword Coast for the first time.

I have several plans now for the games BG+TotSC -> BG2+ToB
    1. Ranger/Cleric
    2. Thief -> Mage dual-class Solo
    3. Paladin (for the first time ever I will play a Pally)
    4. Female Bard - Duet with Annoyman romance
    5. Berserker solo
    6. Add some mods and make them up again
    EDIT: 7. 2 fighters to become wizard-slayers on importing to BG2 for my own party

[ August 22, 2006, 16:12: Message edited by: DarkStrider ]

14. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

By the time I got BG2 one of my BG1 discs was broken ( :( ) so I had to make a new character, but I got the 4-in-1 boxset about a month ago (which meant I had a spare copy of SoA and ToB), and the first thing I did was take an Inquistitor all the way through to ToB, and subsequently get bored with him by the time I reached the Marching Mountains, damn it all.

15. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31

@Clixby, Why did you get bored with him?

16. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Yes, there's something wrong with the import thingy, I soloed my paladin through BG1 and all of a sudden, he has 236hp in BG2 (I did nothing to fix that, I felt so godly, I just couldn't...)

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Do you still get the new class experience bumped up to 81,000?

Something similar happened with me, although I didn't miss ALL of them. The ones I found were: Intelligence from Razamith, wisdom - 2 of these - one in the catacombs the other in Durlag's Tower - and strength, also in the catacombs. I never found the charisma, dexterirty or constitution ones. In fact, I probably would never have found the dexterity one without these boards, and I never even found the cave that contains the constitution tome until it was pointed out to me.

18. Felinoid

No, it still counts the previous class experience. Which is why my Thief15->Fighter, despite having earned over 2M XP as a fighter, ended up starting BG2 at level 1 without a single experience point to her fighter class. But the thief levels were still there.

19. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

i only have BG2 and TOB so i have no choice but to make a new char, but if i had BG1 and TOTSC i would most definitely import my char/s unless i want to play as a half orc in BG2 which i often do.

suppose bgtutu or whatever it is would allow me to be a halforc in BG1 does it? i have a very slow connection speed so i really dont want to download it as it is qutie big.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.