1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Playing Sounds (and Minsc Quotes) from the Console

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Slappy, Jun 9, 2001.

1. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

There was a recent topic about what was your favourite Minsc quote. Anyway, Extremist has been playing around with the dark workings of the Infinity Engine and found a console command that might be of interest to you all: Bring up the console then type:

Code:
    CLUAConsole:playSound("MINSCxx")
    where xx is a number (between 1 and 90 I think). The command will then play a speech file even if Minsc is not in your party. The command can be changed to play sounds for the other NPCs by putting their name in instead of MINSC (Though I think it is limited to the first 6 letters such as JAHEIR for Jaheira).

Anyway, I said in the previous post that my favouitre was Minsc's final speech this is MINSC86. Try it and lol.

For details of accessing the console look at the accessing cheats guide here:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/cheats.php

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2017
  2. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Cheats are bad, mmmmkay

:p

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Errr.. Thanx Slappy, I was too lazy to post anything of this anyway...

And those bunch of SK users do not deserve this - I'll eat my guts if they are able to do this from inside that util :mad: :mad:

However, this thing is NOT a damned cheat! Also, to see how to get the console enabled, I'm pointing you not to peek the cheats section on these pages - there is "Power Users.txt" file in BG2 folder with info on that.

And it really seems that max characters is 6, i.e. you can play Yoshimo's sounds with

CLUAConsole:playSound("YOSHIMXX")

(XX is number from 01 to 99, but not every number has a sound attached so experiment).

Yet, maybe min characters is 5, i.e. for Edwin and Imoen should be:
    CLUAConsole:playSound("IMOENXX")
    CLUAConsole:playSound("EDWINXX")

Anyway, enjoy! :D

4. Graz73 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I don't get what some people think is cheating.... For instance, adding money, experience or items would be cheating.

But summoning a cow, or creating Boo for your party, or listening to a sound file are NOT cheating. How is any of that helping me win with less effort?

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Dear Graz, activate the console and type this in it (works for BG1 too):

CLUACheat:CowKill()

And check the inventory then for a certain scroll.

If the name of the command doesn't contain the word "cheat" I'll kill myself. :mad: :mad:

6. Graz73 Gems: 4/31

I got the cow scroll a different way...

CLUAConsole:CreateItem("Scrlzz")

I don't see the word cheat in there.

And if you're so against "cheating" you'll never get to experience some of these fun easter eggs...

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Ok, if cheating is so fun, then do it. Like I care.

Just stop posting about SK and stuff like that in ALL, I mean ALL of your posts, please.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited June 10, 2001).]

8. Captain Spud Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] did something happen to you as a child extremist?

ugh...not meaning anything, just wondering why or, how someone can despise cheating so much as you...

[This message has been edited by Captain Spud (edited June 10, 2001).]

9. Havok Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] Extremist, we'll all quit talking about the benefits of SK as long as you promise to quit berating everyone about how it's such an evil program.

If it's so evil, maybe you should email George Bush Jr. and inform him of your discovery. Then he might have his Republican Congress create a new law to outlaw such good editors, because they might corrupt the minds of our young children.

Geez! A right wing gamer...

[This message has been edited by Havok (edited June 10, 2001).]

10. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

First, how is playing a sound a cheat?

Second in defense of these "cheats":
    I've used SK (as well as DK and GK for the other games) from time to time, and it's been a useful utility. Once when trying to start a multiplayer game I couldn't import an exported character without the game crashing. Finally I opened the export file and removed all items from his inventory, and I was able to import and start a new game.

This also happened in IWD when I imported serveral 1st level characters into a new game. One character was holding a flail which for some reason couldn't be removed after the import. So I loaded Dale Keeper and was able to remove it. Neither of these could be considered cheats could they? I only used them to fix some bugs in imported games.

Another time I use SK to fix an "oops" that occured right after I'd leveled up an NPC. I realized the point I'd put in a certain weapon would've been better spent elsewhere, so I loaded SK and fixed it (rather than load a save game and have to replay the last few battles before the level up).

Also I've used the console commands a couple of times. Once I was considering a dual-class swashbuckler/cleric and was wondering about what weapons it could use and how the weapon profs. work for this character, so I rolled up a Swashbuckler and gave it enough XP points to reach the level I was considering dualing, dualed and then gave additional XP to activate both classes. This way I could tell base AC, THAC0, and what weapons I could put points in. After I was done experimenting, I exited the game without saving. You may call this cheating, but I'd rather have a good idea of the character I'd be building, instead of finding out in chapter 4 I didn't like the dual-class for certain reasons.

[This message has been edited by Bowie (edited June 10, 2001).]

11. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Childhood problems? I never had them. Or maybe I had them but I resolved all of them by myself. Probably that IS the reason I hate sissies that can't finish the game without cheats.

To mail Bush? He is not my shame - I don't live in America.
    And above that - that wasn't me starting spamming about SK. So first you quit about it, then I'll quit with my disclaimers and spits.

To Bowie: All what you said is true and I agree completely with you. Exploration of races, classes, areas you possibly missed, overriding bugs and similar stuff won't insult me. There can be very interesting findings to post with that, i.e. what happens with dual classes like you researched.

The thing I hate is when people think they're soo damn "COOL" if they cheat just because they can. I don't think they're cool, if they were cool then they would make some interesting inside game info and post about it. How come none of these cool guys found out about that PlaySound scheme?

12. Havok Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] Extremist,

It's also not Cool to cry "Cheater" to anyone who even mentions Shadowkeeper in their posts. I know you didn't start this one, but you do always seem to be in the thick of all those so called righteous anti-cheater flames.

If someone wants to enhance their characters or simply edit mistakes by using Shadowkeeper or some other editor, it's their prerogative. If they want to mention it on a post on this forum, they shouldn't have to worry about being flamed and ridiculed for doing so. You have the right to disagree but give them a break for godsakes. To conduct a personal jihad against Shadowkeeper is pushing the limit. Stop and take a deep breath and relax.

These Forums are for people who enjoy playing these games and want to interact with others who have the same interests. Passing on tips, hints, tricks, questions, and war stories is what makes them fun. If some should disagree with others and say so in an opposing post, that's ok.

By the way, that sound innovation is pretty neat.

I do have to agree with you on one other thing as well...George Bush is our Shame here in America. And yes, you can send him a letter even if you don't live in the States. He and the US Gov are always looking for new things to condemn.

Hope you have a good day, buddy.

13. shadow_thief Guest

CHEATING IS COOL EXTREMIST!

Lay off the spamming buddy. You're starting to get my attention and that is NOT good.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited June 10, 2001).]

14. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Havok, let's stop this all, shallwe?

We won't go anywhere with arguing. Besides in my new threads I haven't mentioned that util nor will ever again. I'll also abandon any topic that util is mentioned inside. Unless it is topic I started. And I can promise you that!

Of course, if someone flame me with that util within the topic I started, I'll take it as personal insult.

Live long and prosper...

15. Captain Spud Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

see now? we can all just get along...

on a side note: Bush is a bad president but Gore is no better...i say we get a king...

16. Graz73 Gems: 4/31

Glad to end all of that Extremist. I've never even used Shadowkeeper.

Who knew extra NPCs and items were such a volatile topic!

17. Havok Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] Extremist,

Sounds like a very good plan to me. I think we sent this thread into enough flames.

Again, have a good day buddy!

PS: If you want to hammer dumb, unnecessary posts like the earlier one from shadow thief, by all means, have a blast.

[This message has been edited by Havok (edited June 12, 2001).]

18. Extremist Gems: 31/31

I took some time and researched the sounds available to hear thru PlaySound command. The code data base is inside CHITIN.KEY file. And no, you can't see them all from Infinity Engine Explorer so I had to get back to my hex editor... :(

I'm posting here ONLY NPC sounds - the list for all game sounds is ten times bigger (creatures, effects, sequences, dreams, etc) and it would be idiotic to post it whole. If anyone is interested in codes for specific sound scheme, please mail me.

In brackets are numbers or other letter/number combinations ment to be used where stands of "x", "xx" or "xxx".
    All fixed letters in sounds below are typed in capitals to make distinction from changeable part (x, xx or xxx), however that is not needed in PlaySound() command, i.e. PlaySound("MINSC03") plays the same sound as PlaySound("minsc03") or PlaySound("MiNsc03").

If you find that I made mistake somewhere, please add the correction. Or mail me so I'll edit this list. And keep in mind that this is BG2 list - not ToB!

Party member NPCs
    Aerie: AERIExx (01, 03-39, 42, 44-99, A1-A9, B1-B9, C1-C9, D1-D9, E1-E4)
    Anomen: ANOMENxx (01-40, 43, 45-99, A1-A9, B1-B9, C1-C8)
    Cernd: CERNDxx (01-85)
    Edwin: EDWINxx (01-85, 87-93)
    Edwin under effect of Nether Scroll: EDWINWxx (01-49, 53)
    Haer'Dalis: HAERDAxx (01-41, 43, 45-98)
    Imoen: IMOENxx (01-64, 68-76, 78, 80-89), IMOENxxA/IMOENxxB (71, 77, 79)
    Imoen, more: CSIMOxx (01-11, 65-67), IMOENJxx (50-59), IMOENPxx (60-61)
    Imoen from BG1: TTIMOExx (90-99, A1-A2)
    Jaheira: JAHEIRxx (01-39, 42, 44-99, A1-A9, B1-B9, C1-C9, D1-D9, E1-E9, F1-F9, G1-G5, H3-H9, I1-I5, BX)
    Jan Jansen: JANJANxx (01-82)
    Keldorn: KELDORxx (01-39, 42, 44-99, A1-A8)
    Korgan: KORGANxx (01-39, 44-89)
    Mazzy: MAZZYxx (01-39, 42, 44-96)
    Minsc: MINSCxx (01-90, 94-95)
    Minsc from BG1: TTMINSxx (91-93)
    Nalia: NALIAxx (01-45, 47-99)
    Valygar: VALYGAxx (01-89, 99)
    Viconia: VICONIxx (01-39, 42, 44-99, A1-A9, B1-B9, C1-C9, D1-D3)
    Yoshimo: YOSHIMxx (01-72)

Former party members (from BG1)
    Branwen: BRANWxx (03, 07, 17-22, 38-39)
    Branwen from BG1: TTBRANxx (01-10)
    Coran: CORANxx (01, 03, 17-21, 38-39)
    Garrick: GARRKxx (03, 17-22, 38-39)
    Khalid: KHALDxx (19)
    Quayle: QUAYLxx (01-02, 04-12, 14, 16-41)
    Safana: SAFANxx (01-02, 04, 17-22, 38-39, 41-47)
    Xan: XANNNxx (03, 17-22, 38-39)
    Xan from BG1: TTXANxx (01-11)
    Xzar: XZARRxx (03, 11, 17-22, 34, 38-39)
    TTSERxxx (101-103)
    TTBELTxx (01-23)

Bonus (because I'm goblin in heart :D )
    goblin: GOBAXEx (1-2, 7-9), GOBAXExx (10-11, 3A, 3B, 4A, 4B)

19. shadow_thief Guest

also, ive heard that u can have some of the IWD voice sounds in BG2. can u look that in extrimist?

20. Extremist Gems: 31/31

What exact sounds are you talking about?

If you mean sounds of creatures that originally appeared first time in IWD, then yes, they are imported in BG2 too - what did you think, that they will make new sounds?
    I can't remember all of those, but here one of those is Ettin (code to play it is ETTINxx).

If you think on NPC sounds, then no, those are not imported in BG2.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.