1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Party positioning

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Blog, Jul 22, 2004.

1. RangerFox Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

It usually depends on the party I am using and sometimes it's situational.

Most often, if I have three melee, I will use the 3+3 formation. If I have four melee, I will use 4+2. If I have a thief/bard/etc., I will use a formation with more than two rows and put them on the middle row edge. If I'm going down a very thin hall, I'll use the verticle line formation.

2. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

The 'T' for me more often then naught. I usually like to run head long into trouble with my best meat sheilds forward.

Occassionly something smaller, but only when terrain required.

3. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Indoors: the "staggered" 2x3 column.

Outdoors: the normal 2x3 column.

Changing areas: either the 3x2 line or the "pentagram" with the weakest character in the middle.

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The normal 2x3 column at almost all times.
    I just change this before particularly nasty battles, and in those cases I reposition the characters manually.

5. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Its gotta be standard 2*3 indoors and the large triangle outdoors (mainly used for exploration puposes). I never use the follow-the-leader formation, if I have to hear the message "You must gather your party..." ONE MORE TIME... :mad:

6. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

@slayer: The Ease of Use mod will kill the voice.

On topic though, I always use the T unless operating in confined spaces. Then I use : : : so that I dont end up with Aerie in the front line.

7. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] I usualy put mages on the front line, archers and thieves next and fighters behind them all. I learned this tactics in 8-bit theatre.

So far i'm alive, though i'm not having such a great time with Ascesion and Tactics in insane difficulty.

It's really cool, since while the mages are distracting the enemy, the brain of the party (fighters) are discussing the battle plan for the particiular fight. So, when they finish the plan, the mages and the thief are usualy already dead, so there goes the plan and they just chunk all the enemies and that's it.

Great tactics, ha? :spin:

8. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I usually use the 2*3 staggered ones, it keeps the characters closer together in tight spaces and I have the choice of keeping the PC in position 1 or 4 depending on their class. I use the circle, in open spaces sometimes, but I find the others more practical.

9. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

@Gothmog: Beautiful Tactic i must say! :hahaerr:

Anyways, i mostly go with the Circle, Tanks in front, spellcasters in the back. For mayor battles i always position them manually.

But if i am moving long distances where i know there will be no enemies, like in cities and such, i go with the follow the leader formation. That way they (mostly) don't deside to take a different road, making them all get from A to B asap.

10. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I usually stick with the flexable 2 wide 3 long formation. The good AC and hard hitting characters in the front, with the missile weapon users who are the second line fighters (and usually clerics) next with mages at the back, lurking out of range of anything ready to fry the opponents :D .
    After all, this party of monkeys is expendable....

11. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I have started changing my tactic more recently, as I have noticed enemies attack from the rear much more often now, especially with Tactics.

I still go with the 2x3 formation, but I tend to have fighters in front, mages in middle and archers at rear. The premise is to make sure I have some decent armour class in the rear to protect my mages more.

12. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

@Yirimyah: nice, that'll make life a lot more easier :)

I don't suppose there are any mods out there that improve the AI for the follow-my-leader formation? If the party kept up and remained behind in a straight line, this would be a lot more useful.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.