1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Party positioning

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Blog, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I'm referring to the battle formations that you can choose from. Which ones do people tend to use?

I usually use the vertical line formation for everything, whether it's shopping in town or dungeon crawling. Partly because I don't want them to go any further than where I click (due to traps, enemy's line of sight, etc). If I must position people strategically before battle, I set each character's position manually.

I hate the formation with the arrows, where the party follows the guy ahead of them. My party tends to become scattered, they follow halfway and stop, and such nuissance. And because of this, I get the "You must gather..." message, which caps off the frustration.

2. Eaglearrow Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The battle formation I use depends on

- the composition of the party (e.g. fighters up front, mage in the back or save within a circle)

- the area I am in (e.g. dungeon, streets, open field)

- the danger of the situation

With danger of situation I'm referring to whether I need to get as quickly as possible from a to b or whether I know there are enemies lurking behind the next corner. In the former situation I tend to spread the party members as wide as possible, so that they don't run into each other and 'decide' to take a different, often longer road.

The "You must gather your party" sound-voice can be turned of AFAIK. I don't remember how, but searching the boards might help.

3. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I usually have them walking in column (2 wide 3 long) or double line (3 wide 2 long) or V-formation, depending on who is my leader - if he's tough, I go for V or column, if he's wimpy, I go for a Tank in 2nd place (column) and if I not cramped for space, 3rd place (double line)
    :borg:

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    The paladin first, the rest next :lol: :p

5. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

Nearly always the standard 2x3 formation. Sometimes the T formation if I want more muscle up-front and I know I wont get attacked from behind.

6. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Soley depends on the area I am in.
    Dungeon: two columns
    Open: circle with one in center
    Narrow pass or stairs: follow the leader

7. nightwood Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

the beautiful "you must gather your party" can be turned of with a component from the easy-of-use-mod

8. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

The thief (and occasional ranger) always sneaking 2-3 screens in front. The rest, following the best they can with their heavy armours and cloaks, trying not to make too much noise.

9. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I just use the circle one. With the three tanks standing in front and the cleric, theif, mage in the back.

10. Algarion Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Standard 2*3 column. It's the easiest one to maneuver in all most any situation. Every battle requires a different strategy so when it comes to battle I create my own formation. All ways knowing where and when a encounter will apear certainly helps alot. But I all ways try to have one tank in every line due to the risk of thugs and bandits.

11. ShaineCoradara Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Straight line every time.

[ August 10, 2004, 20:55: Message edited by: ShaineCoradara ]

12. arcanis Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

i use the pentagon thing with my mage in the middle because hes the only one who really needs protection

13. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I use that pentagon formation mostly,and my sorcerer is in the middle of the pentagon.But in difficult battles,I set each character's position one by one.

14. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

I nearly always keep party AI turned off as well. This allows me to have better control of the party.

15. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I don't think I have ever used anything else than the standard 2X3.

16. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

2x3 format for other spaces, and single line for dungeons, with a tank in front and a tank at the back.

17. toturi sezaru Gems: 1/31

I use the staggered 2x3. With my main PC in the lead and Kheldorn as backup, the rest just keeps up the missle fire support or magical fire support. The staggered formation occupies less space than the standard 2x3, the circle formation is useful usually when you are ambushed (the "you have been waylaid and need to defend yourselves).

18. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    2X3, 3X2, depends on how narrow the path I'm going through is.
    Characters with Stoneskins/Ironskins/LowAC/Contingencies on the side, the rest in the center.
    For the record, Minsc/Sarevok/Keldorn always end up in the middle in my formations.

19. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Always the circle of six, but usually with only 5 characters, leaving a gap at the back. Not for any particular reason -(I always separate my party in dungeons etc.) just cause it looks quite good.

20. True Belief Gems: 1/31

It tend to go for a box standard 3x2. Three tanks at the front & mages, theives, etc at the back. Simple but effective.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.