1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Question about Imoen

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Selannii, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Selannii Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Is it absoulty necessary for Imoen to be in the party? If she's not in the party how badly does it affect the story and our outcome?

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    No, you don't have to have her. It doesn't affect the outcome at all. You still get to do all the same battles and take the same plot lines whether she's with you or not. Frankly, if you don't have Nalia or Jan, you basically have to take her or you don't have a thief...

3. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Unless the PC is a thief of course.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Yes, a noteworthy exception to my statement.

5. instantly Gems: 1/31

yoshima is a thief 2 :p

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Yes he is, but you can't use him after a certain point in the game. :rolling:

7. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well, Imoen is all you really need thief-wise in the game, just make sure to have some potions of master thievery on you. She is dual-classed, and she becomes a powerful mage quickly, especially compared to Jan, who is multi-classed and levels up agonizingly slowly.

But if you do want to get rid of imoen, you can just ditch her in spellhold, and she will somehow escape to the copper coronet, but that just seems evil.

8. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I suppose some kind of reasoning behind dumping her in Spellhold is because you don't want her to come along your bloody trail of destruction. You want her to have a semi-normal life. It's a little like Old Yeller.

Or maybe you can feel the approaching Slayer change and don't want her to be around for that.

9. Tronak el Karbaro Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

There are arguably better mages and better thieves in the game, so if you want to take her along or not is entirely up to you.

10. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Actually there isn't a better thief other than Yoshimo but..... Nalia is usless as a thief, and Jan levels up way to slow.

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I never had a problem with Imoen's thieving skills without ever giving her any potions. Then again, I don't try to steal things from stores either.

BTW, there have been at least a dozen threads on this topic in the past three months.

12. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I'm sorry, but I just have to disagree with you here. While Imoen gets the definite edge as a mage, Jan in infinitely better as a thief.

Jan is a thief. Jan may be multiclassed, slowing him improvement, but he will improve. Imoen's thief skills will never change (whether or not you need more thief skills than she provides is another argument). Jan can backstab effectively, and he almost acts as a thief of a higher level than he actually is, because of so much thief skill improving items (His gloves and goggles).

13. Wizard of Thay Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

As much as I hate Jan, I agree that he is a pretty good NPC theif with his gloves and goggles. I could pretty much pickpocket anyone...it was fun...Got some pretty nice items. Anyway, I haven't gotten far enough to release Imoen yet but he is doing her job just fine. BTW, Nalia is a mage/thief, right?

14. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Nalia is a mage/thief. The problem is she dual classed to a mage when she was a level 4 thief. Her skills are pretty lame in that department as a result. I found she could hardly lock pick anything.

15. Klorox

Technically, Nalia is a Thief/Mage.

Realistically, Nalia is a Mage who can use a shortbow.

16. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

While Jan, Nalia and Imoen can never be described as exceptional thieves they're still more than adequate for you to manage with. I had Imoen as my thief throughout SOA and TOB and there were very few occasions when she couldn't hold her own.

17. Rilfaine Nightbreeze Gems: 1/31

Well, In my opinion, Imoen isn't a great thief..but she should get you through SOA and TOB. Her mage skills are moderate at best and she can't stand up to Edwin who easily blows away any other mage in the game..

Although I always take Immy along for role-playing reasons.

18. Klorox

Moderate at best? Name a better mage besides Edwin!

Imoen is one of the best NPCs in the game, as she can easily cover any necessary thief skills, and is the primary mage in many parties.

19. Rilfaine Nightbreeze Gems: 1/31

Edwin is the best, with his 18 intelligence and awesome quest..you just can't go wrong!

But personally I'd choose Imoen over Edwin..but only by a small margine.

And that's a little off topic..so I'll just shut up..

20. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

As a thief, Imoen is useless.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.