1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is it bad or what?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Satiana Fearbringer, Jan 4, 2001.

1. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] I have chosen to be a paladin because they are suppose to be noble, or so I thought. What is up with all the people against them? I have been trying to talk to some people about the problems I have been having and I am starting to worry that they aren't responding to me because of who I chose to be in the game. What's up?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not at all... I simply haven't played a Paladin, so I don't know the answers to your questions.

3. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31

Hmm, I have been looking around these boards for about two months now and I have heard a lot of bad mouthing about paladins and I was curious as to why. I thought maybe that is why I couldn't get any replies.

4. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well, from my own experience with people who play Paladins, they walk around with evil characters in their party, let thieves steal right in front of them and kill NPCs to drop their reputation so those evil characters don't leave. That's not a Paladin.

That may not be the case with all people who play Paladins, but the majority of those who play them do so for their cool abilities and to use that Holy Avenger sword that only Paladins can use.

Those on this message board will answer your questions if they know how to help you and no one is biased on those who play characters some of us may not like.

I can answer all questions about Paladins but if it's about any Paladin quest or strongholds, I couldn't help you because I never played one in BG2.

Syl...

5. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Hah! I started a paladin inquisitor and had Viconia, Edwin, Yoshimio and Korgan in the party. By keeping my rep about 11,( doing good deeds and then killing peasants ) I neither Fall nor have my party members walk out. So what if I use a Paladin just for the overpowered abilities? I'm a power-gamer and proud of it, so you dogmatic self righteous 'roleplayers' can sod off. Oh yeah, I can beat any foe in BG2 fairly but just for shits and giggles, Cloudkill x 6 into the fog of war rules!!!!!

6. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Walk proud today Shura, your ignorance becomes you! Though, from where I'm standing, the realm of true role-playing is more rewarding. To say otherwise is to say Checkers is more entertaining than Chess, simply because you aren't any good at Chess. Though this may be true, it is only because they are too ignorant to learn to play Chess, which given a small sacrifice would yield 10x the benefit. I, too, was a Power Gamer, for maybe about a month. I was 8 or 9 around the time, having just become fully self-aware and thinking myself great, and I was taught a lesson in humility by getting my ass kicked by my brother at every game my simple mind could handle: Sorry!, Monopoly, Checkers, Basketball, etc... Then he taught me to play Chess. You figure it out...

Amon-Ra

[This message has been edited by Amon-Ra (edited January 04, 2001).]

7. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    There are actually a bunch o' paladins on this board...And a lot o' paladin bashers - so it's a nice mix...So ask away!

I like to think I play a good paladin, although Syl may not think so...I have one evil character in my party (Viconia), and she's always close to breaking...But I like having her. If Branwen was in BG2 then I wouldn't have had to worry about it...Oh well.

As for the thievery thing...How are you supposed to get around that in these games, or P&P for that matter?...Sometimes EVIL locks the door! Plus, I don't think picking locks in dungeons and cleaning out the bad guys homes after a fight is all that bad...We're leaving the evil folk weaker for their transgressions, and making the powers of good that much stronger!

Syl - I felt I had to defend my paladinly honor...Hope you don't mind.

Is this where I yell: Paladins Unite!? :D

8. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

When you go into a peasant's home, do you "check" his lockers and cupboards out of curiosity? If he's not at home, do you pick the lock immediately and take whatever is inside?

9. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    I don't really go into regular homes unless it is part of a quest...And if it ends in battle, my thought is everything is fair game...

And if thievery is needed - I usually send in the thief alone. I can't watch them all of the time! ;)

That's a cheesy answer, and I know what your getting at...But it's one of the limitations in playing a game like BG. When I played P&P, I ran a paladin character in one campaign, and there was a thief in the party, and another member who I thought was less than "good" but that was part of the game. Dealing with players who had different ideologies than others, but making them work as a cohesive team...

When I saw your response, it made my think about the Dragonlance Chronicles book. Sturm was the closest thing to a Paladin in that (and I think the closest thing to a paladin in any of the books I've read), and he hung out with a pretty evil mage, and a thief who "acquired" a lot of "found" property. He got mad about it, and tried to distance himself from the behavior, but they were an integral part of the group...

But then again, paladins should probably be held to a higher standard. That would be the rebuttal - But I'll stop here...and let you do that part. :)

[This message has been edited by Sir Belisarius (edited January 04, 2001).]

10. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31

[​IMG] Oh, good. Well then now that I understand I am not alone in being a paladin and that my questions are not being answered because no one knows an answer, I feel alot better. I am a paladin and I play with a party who is almost intirely good, or at least neutral. I have Aerie, Jan, a preist of lathander, and of course Keldorn Firecam and myself Satiana Fearbringer.
    I always try to play fair and on the path of the party that I choose to play. If I play evil, then I try not to take any truely good people into my party and vice versa. The only reason that I even take a theaf is because I can't seem to aviod traps and getting myself killed with them. The only time I take from a home is if it is part of my quest or I have fought a battle in it. I don't just wander in off the street to see if I can steel anything.
    I am not someone who has been playing these kinds of games for a long time, but I am learning and I always try to play by the rules.
    Unfortunetly, I am in a situation that was not my fault and I can't right it, and I going to loose my paladin quest and I am quite angry about it. But, I guess I could always play it again in a different manner if I want a different outcome.
    eh?

11. Rasalgethi Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well, in my 1st game, my main character was a Paladin, and there was in the party : Minsc CG, Jaheira N, Yoshimo N replaced by Imoen NG at chap. 4, Anomen NG and Aerie LG. IMHO, Paladins don't mix with Evil people for a long time, but it's just my opinion and my point of view about playing Paladins. In that game, I never use stealing abilities, I only used disarm traps to avoid damage effects. And, I didn't look for Carsomyr, so I didn't kill Firekragg.

Sorry, I think I won't be able to help you because I didn't complete the Paladin Quest, I quickly did the Quests from Aran Linvail and I didn't know that Quests for Paladins.

12. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Yes, Paladin´s, especially Chevaliers are cool. I played predominantely thiefs and mages before, and so it´s really nice to play a paladin now.
    But hell, he´s so bad at pickpocketing that I always have to kill theses I people to get their money. Maybe I need a thief in my party

13. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

You are pick-pocketing with a Cavalier? How?/what?/huh?/did I lose something in the translation?/why are you killing people and robbing them if you are a Cavalier? Ok, ok... I promised I'd lay off...

Amon-Ra

14. Sorl Guest

To avoid using outright thieves a paladin could join up with a Bard - not quite as obviously a bad guy (there is a rather unloved one in the game and it would be a good deed - fit for every paladin - to relieve the poor bastard of his lonely misery).
    And doing a little evil for a greater good cause was allways ok, ask the guys who did the holy inquisition, some of them were even saintified (was more can you ask for)?

15. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] That's not a bad call Sorl! Talk about a charitable move though...Haer D'Alis (I always spell his name wrong) is terrible IMHO! I think my paladin would be tempted to the darkside by pummeling him! I think I'd try to track down Garrick before taking him.

Now that I have Imoen back...I'm fairly happy with my trap removal/lock picking skills in the group.

16. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Er... you have a zero percent chance of success if you're stealing from shops with anyone but a thief..

17. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] I've never tried that Shura! My main character is a goody goody paladin after all!

:cool:
    ~Bel

18. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31

Hmm, at one point I thought of taking Haer D'alis into my party, but chose not too. I thought he would be pretty cool, but he seemed to vain for me. I am glad I didn't.

Oh, and paladins are suppose to be noble I tell you, noble! Goody, goodies. Like Bel said.

[This message has been edited by Satiana Fearbringer (edited January 05, 2001).]

19. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I just felt tempted to spread confusion. sorry. sob, sniff.

I have never played anything else but cleptomaniac mage-thiefs, cleptomaniac thiefs or cleptomaniac fighter-thiefs. Ahem, maybe a cleptomaniac fighter-mage ... but he´s as bad at pickpocketing as a paladin ... hmmmm ... I think I will play a thief again!
    I do in fact think that a cleptomaniac Chevalier would be somehow, hmmmm, unlike a paladin. Really.

20. Rasalgethi Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Hey Ragusa, did you try to play an old senile wizard ?? ;) ah ah, that's fun, I played twice with a friend that have that kind of character, hehe... he was too funny, trying to cast a spell and casting something else, hehe he WAS a living Wand of Wonder :D.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.