1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is this world coming to?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by reepnorp, Aug 20, 2004.

1. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Check this out.

Why would nobody have done anything about this? This is actually one of the worst things I've ever heard. The family never did anything about it! Just wanted to share this.

Oh, and I couldn't decide between Whatnots and AoDA so I flipped a coin.

2. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I doubt I would have done anything about it if she was my family either. I'd be ashamed to call someone like that family. It's not the family's fault, sure they could have stopped her but that isn't the same as actually eating that much.

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If she was physically unable to leave the couch someone had to be bringing her food.

4. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

So, do you guys/gals believe this is a case of neglect or extreme stupidity?

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

yerg, fact IS stranger than fiction.

6. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

@Rednik

The latter. To not move long enough to be grafted to a couch? Daaaamn!

7. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Serves her right. If she is unable to take care of herself due to years of neglecting and torturing her own body she deserves to die.

8. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    It was probably the choice of the woman to not have help. Psychologically she was probably a mess. Obviously she had an eating disorder combined, most likely, with no self worth. It was a matter of both neglect and stupidity, both on the part of the relatives or "friends" that were helping her. Knowing that she was not willing or capable of getting the help she needed for herself, they should have taken the steps to find help for her before it was too late.

9. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Like Nakia said, someone had to be assisting her... Were it to be otherwise she should be dead long ago.

This is plainly nuts from the woman and obvously had to be admittend in a psychyatric hospital after the first 5 months of doing this.

This is plainly stupid and downright criminal from the one(s) attending her while in this state. In USA there is the charge of criminal neglection and this fits quite nicely in the concept.

What she did was suicide and someone assisted her and that someone has to pay. Remember that since 20th century you can't punish anyone in any fashion such as the Inquisition.

She obviously was sick but the one(s) attending her were worse, much more worse.

10. Abomination Gems: 26/31

She was a pathetic lump of lard. Sure the people who were feeding her and such were stupid also but it is primarily the blobs fault.

11. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Well...I don't see how it is possible for a case of obesity to reach such critical levels. The fault of course, lies squarely on the person responsible for her own health being neglected, but at the same time, its her family as well who should be held to account. I mean, WTF!!!

12. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I would have liked to have been there and put some food or candy on the tv table. Just out of her reach so she could almost have touched it... :evillaugh:

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Ok, that's enough of this kind of posts. If you can't post in a civil manner, don't bother.

14. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Reminds me of a Jonny Depp movie.
    He is the oldest brother (not sure) in a dysfunctional family where the mother has a similar problem. The mother dies towards the end of the movie and instead of humiliating her memory by having her carted to the funeral house in a turck or something, they burnt the hose down.
    Never thought something similar could actually be true.

This lady was sick. And by not recognising that her family killed her.

15. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The movie was "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?".

Personally, I feel very sad for her that she ended up is such a sad state, I can only guess that there were certainly some major psychological issues at work there. And as far as family, perhaps she was in such a sorry state mentally and emotionally that she pushed them away to avoid embarrassment on her part or theirs.

A sad thing indeed.

16. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Somebody was feeding her. Since she could not have left the couch, somebody was making at least daily deliveries of food to that couch. That person, at the very least, is responsible.

17. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Very weird line of thinking you have there BigStick.

When a woman stuffs herself full with food until she can't move she is *obviously* mentally insane and not responsible, but when a person feeds another person that stuffs herself full with food until she can't move, that person is totally guilty!

It is the idea that people who do things to themselves are insane, and people that do things to others are not insane but legally accountable(that is the correct term right?), that I am having trouble with.

18. Blue Loon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Tal> If I was a family member I would have done exactly as Bahir suggested. It would motivate her to move.

I have an aunt that is similar to this (not even close to 600 pound though). Six-months ago she had back surgery and needed to be supervised, so she stayed with another aunt. At this house the bedrooms were in the second story which forced my 'overweight' aunt to walk up the stairs instead of letting her sleep on the hide-a-bed downstairs. Now would you call this cruel also?

19. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm sure I don't need to explain the difference between intentional, sadistic cruelty and that to you. :rolleyes:

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    And bringing her a very high amount of said food, at that. Think about this. They say she was on the couch for 2-5 years. Even going on the low end, and saying 2 years, if whoever was feeding her was giving her a normal amount of food, she should be no where near 600 pounds at this point. If she had a 2000 daily calorie diet, even ackowledging that she was just sitting on the couch and therefore had little need for energy, she still wouldn't be 600 pounds.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.