1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Thieving Strategies

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by ivanatora, May 5, 2002.

1. ivanatora Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Tell me how to pickpoket better. Have I to be in back of the victim (like the backstab) or something else.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't believe so. Just put more points into your pickpocket skill the next time you level up. You can also use potions that improve your pickpocketing skills.

3. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Don't forget of picking up the gloves of pickpocketing in the CopperCoronet. (it's found in one of the 'bedrooms' in the back, in the room of the famous retired thief.)

Said potions would be Potions of Master Thievery.

4. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

I forget, but does removing the armor help?

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

About armors:
    Plate armors don't let you to pickpocket.
    Elven chains have a penalty to pickpocket skill.

6. bocam Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] and always, always remember to quicksave before trying to pick-pockets, just in case it goes wrong

7. ivanatora Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I am with kensai dualed to tief, so he cannot wear gauntles or armour. He has 100 pickpoket and even now he miss almost every time when I try.

8. Lordvan Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I know what you mean, my F/M/T has 100 pickpocket, the gloves, AND used a potion of master thievery (for a total of 160), and it still took five tries to get the sword of the rose+3!:flaming:

9. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Drink multiple potions. Iirc they're stackable.

Ooh, and luck. That helps too :p

10. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

When I pick-pocket, I usually do it from the shadows. Of course, I don't know if it gives bonuses or not, but it seems a little more realistic.

11. yappie! Guest

Does it have anything to do witht he Size/Weight of items?

I always manage to get the Regeneration Ring first time...but hardly ever any +1/+2 Weapons...and never EVER any armour.

12. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think someone would notice you walking off with their armour, anyway I find it is always easier to pickpocket with a pure theif, dual class don't do it right i find, multi do sometimes

13. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Methinks 8people has a point. I think it wuold be far easier to steal a ring dagger than a Full Plate Mail +3. lol :D

14. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] AFAIK the size/weight doesn't matter. Since it is possible on those people, who leave their bodies after death, to actually steal their body from them. This must be quite diconscerting for the person concerned :grin:

15. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hmm I suppose that could be quite a funny dialog

Oi! bring me back! Thats my body your taking!

16. bp Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

During the Civil War in America, a slave named Frederick Douglas "stole" his body and limbs from his master. So I guess you can steal a body, if it's your own!

You can steal armor from shopkeepers, but
    I've never hoped to pick-pocket armor from someone. Sheesh! :)

17. Zakar Gems: 1/31

I am fairly certain you can't pickpocket someones armour of their back.

I know this because I tried pickpocketing ARan Linvail to get his elven chain mail. I managed to get all his items except the chain mail.
    I pick alot of NPCs pockets and have never managed to get any armour that I can remember.

18. Dralend Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

It's hard to steal from certain shopkeepers, that's why it would have taken five reloads on pp skill 160 to get the Blade of the Roses. To 'steal' from Bernard in the CC seems to take over 200 in pickpocketing skill, and even then don't expect to get more than about 5 items before he twigs. Jayes the thief in Waukeen's Promenade (night time) is much easier to steal from, and so are all the people selling the scrolls.

You can pickpocket all the people in the Government district and building for some nifty spells, gems and items - well worthwhile :)

I always sell the gloves of pickpocketing (for 1,500gp) as Jan's gloves are just as good.

19. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ever considered this...?
    How could it be possible to steal any armor from a shop?
    'Jan', I ask the little gnome, 'whats that shining thingy in the sleave of your suit?'
    'That, melord, is a full plate armor I just nicked from the blacksmith', the stickyfingered sneak grinned.
    'You never learn. Now hand it over to Minsc, you wont be able to use it anyway.'

Hey! Hey! Hey! MoN...?!
    That's exactly the same post as you posted at January 26!

Aaaargh! You noticed!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.