1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Linguistic skills of SPers

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Djieff, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

was that a linguistic joke? cause I a tad rusty in sarcasm online.. heh.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

3. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Heh, well as a fellow Dutchman I can say that he's not the only one making such errors.
    Many of us forget to use 'well' in stead of 'good' when it comes to verbs. :D

4. metal leper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

English is my first language, I did 5 years of French and German, and 3 years of Latin

I can remember virtually no Latin, and my French and German are more than a little rusty now though

5. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    I too am Dutch, so I obviously use it the most and is my #1.

Second comes English. Because I work in IT I use it very often. Furthermore I use it a lot at home and at friends. English is definately my second language.

As a third language there's German. Because Germany is Hollands "nextdoor neighbour" I think most of the Dutch use at least a little German. Also the Dutch language is simular to German. My German isn't good, but Germans at least understand me and I them!

6. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

My first language is Greek
    Second language is English, because as BOC says, in Greece it is necessary to speak English if you want to find a decent job.
    Third language is Italian, though I'm not very good at it.

I also know some French (I did French for 3 years at school) but I forgot most of them. Nevertheless, I can understand a text with simple vocabulary.
    Ancient Greek? I find them VERY difficult and I never really studied Ancient Greek at school, so I can't say I know AE. Anyway, it's the same language, even a little different, with Modern Greek, so I can understand some things.

I would like to learn Icelandic, Latin and Arabic, but I can't find the time and the money at the moment, so...

7. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

1.German - Interesting to see that a lot of people here at least have some knowledge of it.
    2.English - Good reader, mediocre writer/speaker.
    3.Latin - Funny as hell in school. :cool:

EDIT: 4.Italian - But there's not much left from those three years... :rolleyes:

8. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Languages I really know:

French, my first language.
    Dutch the second one, that's what you get for living in Belgium.
    Latin was the third, mandatory in my school. (I'm losing it though)
    A strange mix of English, American and l33t-speak. Both from school and internet.

Languages I can understand on some level:

Due to Dutch: written German.
    Due to French and Latin: Italian and Spanish.

Languages I pick up some words of:

My cousin's taught me Creole.
    My other cousin's busy trying to make me understand some Portugese (mainly soccer-related terms)
    My ex girlfriend taught me some Wolof.
    My current girlfriend is teaching me some Polish.

9. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I suck in languages, as you may have seen by my writings here on SP.

1. English, the same as most other Swedes here, I speak English better than Swedish.

2. Swedish, see above.

3. Danish/Norweigan. The two of them are soo much alike Swedish so I can read them easily and speak them with some difficulty.

4. Swedish Sign Language. I have quitted two German classes and the last time I decided to begin to read another language, and I thought sign language would be the one I am looking for. I was wrong, damn it is hard.

5. German. Can't say a word, know how to read it though. A bit ashamed over that, with my father being a German and so.

I would like to learn Polish, as that is my ancestors language. Baby steps I guess.

10. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Counts for me too. I didn't find Latin that funny, though.

I also had 7 years of French in school, but don't think that I am able to speak more than the most basic sentences.

11. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Primary: English
    Also American Sign Language

Dabbled in French and Spanish, maybe one day be fluent enough in them. Well, I was proud that I was able to talk to a parent on the phone in Spanish and tell her the bus was late and her child could be picked up at a specific time and place.

12. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

My first langueage is english

My second language is latin

13. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    1st: Dutch. I speak this one very well, I've got a crazy vocabulary thanks to the huge amount of books I've read over the years. best aspects are socio-linguistic things, history of the language and proverbs. Worst aspect's probably spelling, since you tend to be less focused on the way you write when you're using a language you're so fluent in and have been speaking for so long.

(1,5st ;) : My Koksijds dialect. Cannot be understood by people out of my province)

2nd: English. I speak it well, I understand it very well (though it took me some time to adapt to the London dialect. They speak funny ;) ), I think I write it pretty well too. English is definitely my pet-language. I've had 5 years of English in school and I enjoyed every minute of it. My friends always tease me, saying that I'm a regular English dictionary. I tend to be a nitpicker when it comes to English, when someone makes a mistake, I immediately feel the urge to correct them. (and please, try not to point out the mistakes I made in this post. A matter of keeping my confidence up :D )

I'll be studying English at Uni in two months.

3rd: French. I've no fondness for the language, though I've had 8 years of it in school. Over here it's imperative that you speak and understand French (French tourists). I was pretty good at it in school, especially liked reading it. Grammar and spelling are a bit rusty, but still above average.

4th: German. I love this one. Had three years of German in school. I can read about every German text, I can speak and write it OK. I'll be studying this one at Uni as well.

5th: Spanish. Had it two years in school. Hate it, but can make myself understood in it and can read and understand most texts. I had a hard time understanding the Spanish when I was in Barcelona last year. They speak dangerously fast.

(6th: latin. 6 years in school. Liked it and can understand most of it, though a dictionary is required)

(7th: ancient Greek. 1 year in school. I'd like to brush this one up again, but time is against me.)

I once knew a couple of words of Vietnamese thanks to some exchange students, but I've forgotten most of them.

Because of my knowledge of French and Spanish I can understand some Italian as well.

Hmm, seems like I'm a bit of a language freak. :) Well, that's what you get for living in a country that has three official languages and has been under the rule of so many different countries over the centuries. Languages are in the genes over here.

14. Sydax Gems: 19/31

My first languaje is Spanish as I live in Argentina.
    My second, believe or not is English, and I can TALK in any of their different modes, but, sometimes is difficult to me to write it because I don't remember if a word takes 2 Ns or 1 F and so on.
    Living in the border with Paraguay made me learn Guarani, and because where I worked there were brazilians I also know Portugues.
    Tambien se hablar "por telefono"...
    Sorry, that was a popular joke around...

15. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    1) American English cause I was born here.
    2) Latin which I have mostly forgotten.
    3) Spanish - but not very well
    4) Italian- a little learned from relatives.
    5) German- a little from living in Cincinnati, Ohio, and am learning more now because of a game I like.

16. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31

First language is English - kind of hard to avoid in a country like Australia when you're fifth-generation, middle-class and white. The geographical isolation of the country means most people don't even consider learning another language, although with increasing multiculturalism and awareness, that's beginning to change.

@ Ofelix: My grammar was lousy until I started studying another language, which made me realise just how sloppy my use of English was.

Second language - man kann Deutsche, aber nür ein Bißchen (and my grammar is probably wrong, too). Learned it for six years at school, but haven't used it since except to order drinks and make smart comments to some of my equally bilingual friends. I found it very easy to learn due to it being somewhat similar to English; the hardest part was gender-case formations, which only exists in English as "the".

I've also studied Indonesian, but I don't know much of this any more, only enough to scrape by.

17. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

My native language is English, living in Alaska as I do. I've taken five years of Spanish, with a sixth starting in September... though those five years have yielded a disappointing lack of fluency. I do know most of the common verbs, however, and can conjugate quite well :p

18. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

ah, i see im the only one that speaks filipino (in this thread at least), but although its my native language, its a secondary one. my primary language is english. i took 13 years worth on mandarin chinese though (my elementary and high school required it) i cant speak the damn language at all. i can say stuff like "I like to eat meat" and other really basic crap, but thats it. after 13 years hehe

19. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Weird as it is, with me being Indian and all...

First Language: English
    Second Language: Hindi (that's our national language)
    Third Language: Telugu/Kannada (that's the language we speak in my state/province)

20. Vengeance Incarnate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

1st language is English.

2nd language is Arabic(I'm a second generation Arab-American).

3rd language is French and it isn't that great because I learned it at school.

4th language is Portuguese. I can speak a little but I can understand most conversations. My mom was raised in Brazil.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.