1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Linguistic skills of SPers

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Djieff, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I live in Holland, and as such have a rudimentary understanding of the Dutch language.
    I also speak fluent English, although that isn't too obvious here at times :D - having got a CAE lvl 4 certificate and doing an IB exam next year (part of Bilingual Education, an optional program for the highest levels here in Holland)
    Furthermore, I can stammer a few words of German and French, obligatory in school here - but hardly beyond saying I don't speak it.
    :borg:

2. dman18 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

1. My first would be English as I'm American.

1a. Redneck English, growin up in the south you gotta pick this up or you can't understand half your relatives.

1b. Ebonics, also growin up in da souf 'specially near the ATL (Atlanta, GA) you gotsta know dis, son.

2. Spanish- Back in civilization I am about to start my second year of Spanish because I plan to become an engineer. And contracting etc. in the south will probably lead to conversations with some Spanish speakers.

3. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

My native tongue so-to-speak, is Orstralian - a unique form of English blending many other cultural influences.

I speak very little of French (topped my class in Year 7 and 8 on high school but never followed it up) and even less of Italian (had classes every week from Year 4 to Year 6 of Primary School).

I'm looking at taking a course in Beginner's Japanese very soon.

Other than that, just the usual of foul-mouth, Pig Latin and gibberish.

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I speak two languages...
    English

and Bad English.

I guess being English there is no need to learn other languages since (as mentioned in the first post) other countries are very determined in teaching their population English.

Might sound arrogant but it IS the international language (all air transmissions are done in English, almost all programming is done in English, it's just damn everywhere).

I guess that's the advantage of having an empire that owned 1/3 of the world's landmass...

5. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well I have to disagree here, it is important that you can English yes but you really can't say that you woulden't need other languages especially if you travel a lot.

You will have a difficult time travelling in north africa or France if you can't speak French, you'll probably manage with English as long as you're a tourist and use only services meant for tourists, but if you plan to stay a bit longer you'll sooner or later bump in to the language wall. The same goes for most other major languages too such as Spanish, Chinese, German etc.

6. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

1) English, because I consider myself more proficient in it than Swedish. :eek:

2) Swedish, my native tongue, which I actually am less proficient in than English. :eek:

3) Spanish, studied it for 4 years of school. My whole vocabulary could be spoken in 5 minutes.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

That must be why the english folk are turning into lazy bums that cannot even bother to learn one, foreign language -at least that is what my english teacher claims, being from UK himself. :D

8. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I speak dutch, english, french and a bit of german, with dutch being my main language.

9. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    First language is Chinese...second language is English. Currently learning Japanese, was learning Spanish.

I use Chinese and English pretty much equally now, and my mind can kind of "function in both languages". People say my english doesn't have accents. I eh. Eh.

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    There's always a benefit learning some other language, even if you're a native speaker of English. It improves your overall linguistic capacity and often through learning foreign languages one grows better at his first language.

I agree, it's a horror to listen to an Anglo-Saxon speaking French (and vice versa :p ) :D but maybe German then (for UK folks)? Or Spanish (for Americans)? Heck, if you're arts people or historians, you can learn Latin as your second tongue :lol:

11. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ik spreek redelijk goed Nederlands.
    I can make myself understood in English, but I often make faults or I can't find the right words.
    Vielleicht könte ich es mal mit meine Deutsche Sprache probiern, aber ich finde das ganz schwer.
    Je ne parle pas Francais.
    No hablo Espanol
    Parlo uno pocchettino Italiana. Vado a Italia per imperare l'Italiana.

12. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    My native tongue is french. N'aller pas dire que c'est une langue compliquer viarge! Elle n'est pas compliquer elle est variée

My second is english, which is about 80% fluent speaking 95% reading and understanding as I've done 11 years (with top mark) of retarded english. Well english *is* simple and every form you want. Actually I learnt english by playing video game (right boo?) and posting here regulary. Oddly enough some people say that my english is sometimes better than native.

True, so true... Fortunately you won't have to listen to *me* speaking english

I've got a 1933 Français - Latin diccionary but I doubt It'll count as a language but not Latin - Français, that's pretty bad isn't?

I'm going to learn german and spanish at college and I'll try to learn latin and perhaps japanese at university. As you need pretty high score to be able to learn Latin, that's a stupid rule...

13. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Finnish, Swedish and English all fluent. Some basic understanding of German, mainly due to the very similar words German has with Swedish and English, and because of studying it in junior high. Can't speak the language much though.

Finnish is my mothertongue. Swedish my father's mothertongue and the language 85% of the people used in my previous hometown (back when i was 7-18 years old). And English has been my hobby since 10 years old or something.

So yes, I know 3 languages extremely well. But all of them besides English came for granted, not for actually studying them volountarily. Not everyone is born in a country that creates a very easy base for learning those 3 languages.

14. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Two native dialects, one national language, English, some French (not as good as I used to be), Spanish and Japanese (proficient, but just barely).

15. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

First language, definately English, likely French as my second language, although I'd need to do some extensive review before I did any travelling.

After that, I have had five years of Latin (classical, not vulgate), two years of Spanish and a year of Ancient Greek (which I can puzzle out, but can't speak).

And I'm planning on picking up Swahili sometime soon.

16. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

@MoN

You only need these French words anyway:

Parlez vous anglais :)

17. Ruddiger Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] 1st: English
    2nd: Spanish
    3rd: Scotch, which is the same as English, but with a broad unintelligible accent, and you can say words like "glaikit" and "skelf"

18. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I speak all body languages... :1eye:

19. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I can speak English very good, and German also, but i have a great memory too.

20. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

1.First language is greek.
    2.Second is english because in my country the knowledge of english is necessary if someone wants to find a decent job.
    3. German. I've studied german for six years because I like this language and in addition I had some german terminology lectures in the university. Unfortunately I have forgotten most of them and now, as far as oral speech is concerned,I can understand some basic phrases like "Wie heisst du?" and separate words. However I can still understand a text with the help of a dictionary ofcourse.
    4. French. I have been forced to study french in school for six years and I absolutely hate this language. I can understand just some basic phrases.

Also, I can read and understand ancient greek and some latin.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.