1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sluggish performance

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by scorpion12, Jan 15, 2002.

1. scorpion12 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Playing BG2 SOA, everything was running fine until I went to the underdark... Now, my system appears to be running sluggishly... my game runs slowly and lurches now... It was fine before the underdark, but now, it's kind of crazy and almost unplayable...

has this happened to anyone else?

It's running with the latest BG2 patch...
    Athlon 1 ghz
    512 mb ram

2. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] With your system you should not have any problem like that (I assume you have a decent graphics card as well).
    Make sure you have no other programs running. Perhaps you have recently installed new programs and they are runnign in the background?

An idea is to try different pre-tiles percentages (configure... visual).

Finally something I used to do a lot before which was to manually empty the cache.
    Could someone please comment on if this is useful or not! :help:

This is how to empty the BG2 cache:
    1. Go to your BG2 directory in Explorer and open the cache folder.
    2. In the cache folder you find the data folder. Open it.
    3. Here (in ...BG2/Cache/Data/) you see lots of AREAxxxx.bif files.
    4. You can safely delete all these bif-files.

VERY IMPORTANT!:nono:
    Only do this in the Cache/Data folder!

[Emptying the cache usually helps with unexplained crashes, since they're mostly due to corrupted files in the cache. It doesn't help with slowdowns, except in the case of PS:T, but that's not related.] -Tal

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited January 15, 2002).]

3. scorpion12 Gems: 1/31

Nope, that didn't help...

I reloaded to just before I enter the underdark and it was fine. I'll assume it's just the CD...

you're right about the video card being ok... nvidia geforce2

thanks tho...

4. LiquidusSnake Gems: 1/31

Maybe you should uninstall the game and re=install it? It worked for me a few timez.

5. Lord Sarevok Guest

Hmm, I only have an Athalon 700 with 128 ram and the game never runs slow on my machine. And I don't have an advanced video card either. Probably the CD like you said. Try doing a complete install by clicking custom and then checking all of the boxes. This makes it so the game doesn't run off the CD, I think.

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited January 15, 2002).]

6. Deano99 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

have you got 3d acceleration enabled?

that can usually cause major slowdown as you describe...

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Like Deano said, turn down 3D-anything. It slowed my computer down to a halt the first few times I tried it, and I have a decent computer and a GeForce 2. I suspect BioWare majorly screwed up the 3D acceleration in this game. Run everything at 2D. You'll hardly notice any difference in how the game looks, but it'll run much better.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited January 15, 2002).]

8. War Nerve

War Nerve And it took me back to something that I'd lost

I've had a few problems with slow performance as well. I have a 1.3 AMD athlon and a nvidia geforce2 as well. When I had Windows ME installed on my system, it worked perfectly with a full install. When I installed Windows XP, however, it was as choppy as could be. I had to reinstall BG2 with a minimum installation for it to work properly, and I still don't understand why.

9. Garret Jax Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Try this site out to unload your start-up. www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/

10. scorpion12 Gems: 1/31

Thanks for the suggestions... I was able to isolate it to that particular area of the first stage of the underdark... I went against the Balor, it killed all of my party but my character, and the sluggishness went away, so it's definitely one of the npc's I've got... It might just be the background music, coupled with the items that they've got...

I tried to remove the items and all but stripped them naked each one in turn by having them drop their stuff one at a time... I'm not willing to have them leave the party to prove who it is as I'm reluctant to have them "meet me" anywhere because I might not see them again...

11. War Nerve

"I went against the Balor, it killed all of my party but my character, and the sluggishness went away, so it's definitely one of the npc's I've got..."

Ah, another worthwhile reason to solo. :)

12. scorpion12 Gems: 1/31

but it gets hard to carry all the stuff that you can't live without...

13. War Nerve

Yes, very. You have to practically sell everything you get right away if you don't stash it. Until you get the Bag of Holding, it's pretty frustrating.

14. scorpion12 Gems: 1/31

From my experiece, it doesn't hold much... naybe it's because I can't bring myself to sell some of the stuff I find because I don't know if I need it later of not... did that before in BG1...

15. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Have you defragged your hard drive? It always helps me.

16. Lord Sarevok Guest

Storage problems weren't that big when I solo, even before I got the Bag of Holding. Just visit a store every one and awhile and sell your junk.

17. scorpion12 Gems: 1/31

That's part of the problem... who's to say I don't need that thing I killed before later down the road, or the thing I sold because I didn't think I needed it I now need and can't find it again...

I know about shadowkeeper, and I'm almost ready to use it to get me the pommel jewel... Someone somewhere said it was probably safe to leave stuff on the floor of Cernd's old house, and I dropped it on the floor, and it disapeared along with some other stuff I "might" need like +2 short sword...

Ah well... that's part of the fun of playing the game...

I'm not having problems saving things to my drive, I ust have aproblem that the bag of holding doesn't have enough space for what I have... of course, I appear to be a packrat hoarding as many magical items as I run across because I might need them...

18. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Put rings and amulets in gem bags, don't put ammo in the bag of holding, and you should be all right

19. scorpion12 Gems: 1/31

thanks. good advice.

Well, it seems that the problem's getting worse... now, instead of my party lurching across the screen due to the sluggish problem, there is about a 1 second pause as the little pendulum in the lower left hand of the screen swings... it pauses right in the middle... I'm going to reform my party one member at a time and boot them out until I find the cause...

Grr... I'm just trying to avoid a reinstall...

20. Garret Jax Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

First off- Do you have any other graphics intensive games. Play them for a bit and see if they are effected in the same way.

Second- Check your Task manager. If there are any type of tasks that are run on a regular basis, this could do it. One example is Norton Anti-virus. It will start up in the middle of a game and start a scan.

If you are running a restore program like Go-Back, that may cause this.

What OS are you running?
    Try switching display settings. Try 800x600, High Color (16 Bit)

[This message has been edited by Garret Jax (edited January 17, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.