1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Uncommon Hobbies - What's yours?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Foradasthar, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

It's called LARP (Live Action RolePlaying). Good that you brought it up since I have no idea how common that is in SP. I've done that a few times, and I know many people irl (and in SP) who have as well. But how many of all the active SPers really have done that or actually do it actively as a hobby, I wonder.

@ nior:

A friend helped me find this: http://senseis.xmp.net/?Go

There it says: "Go is an ancient game that originated in China, with a definite history of over 3000 years, although there are historians who say that the game was invented more than 4000 years ago. Its name comes from the Japanese name Igo, which means "surrounding boardgame".

I'd guess it's either the confusion with the name, or more likely the anime Hikaru no Go that makes people think Go is originally Japanese.

[ July 13, 2004, 17:39: Message edited by: Foradasthar ]

2. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I started origami when I was a student to help me both concentrate and relax. I also juggle balls and clubs, although I haven't practiced in months. Trying to learn devilstick now. It seems to be better for coordination than the balls.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I don't know if any of my hobbies qualify as unusual. Aside from the reading and CRPG's, I play basketball, tennis and golf. I do logic problems, cross-word puzzles and pretty much any other such kind of word games/puzzles. I like jigsaw puzzles too, but don't do them much anymore.

I like to garden and cook too.

I almost never watch any television (I guess that's the most unusual thing about me).

4. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] @Stefanina Wolves? Hmm maybe I should wear my wolves shirt I got in Blanes, then to please the girls ;)

5. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    At least the sort of gals that I have as friends... :D

[ July 14, 2004, 06:15: Message edited by: Stefanina ]

6. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] Alright Maybe next year i go to Florida :p Wearing my wolves shirt offcourse :p But I'm afraids we are going offtopic here...

7. nior Gems: 24/31

This is a bit off-topic.

@Foradasthar,

Thanks for the info. I think i can blame my confusion on some Japanese artists, a number of them have "Go" as a title of their song, Hiroshima, the Jazz band, is one.

8. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

My odd hobbies include collecting out of print board and computer games
    Nintendo(the old 8-bit)
    Fencing
    Learning 2-3 words of any language I can
    Watching really old cartoons(anybody remeber Pirates of Darkwater?)
    Skydiving
    Skinny dipping

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  9. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

^ I hope you are a woman *shrudders*

My fairly uncommon hobby is to lie to people (and Im a pretty decent liar).
    Ex: We were watching a movie in our english class, but one of the guys werent following, so when the teacher told us to write about the movie he asked me what had happened in the movie. I said the main character had to go away to be a testsubject in a nuclear powerplant, and the guy believed it! (and the teacher was like: WTF?!?)

10. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

An uncommon hobby hear in Greece is miniature painting. I don't know how common it is in other countries. When I tell someone that I colect and paint miniatures, the first reaction is "Miniatures? :confused: "

I also like to read about Norse mythology and my interest in Greek mythology begins to grow...

I would like to do archery, but I can't find someone to train me... I would also like to do swordfighting (NOT fencing... just plain medieval swordfighting) but it is evn more difficult to find a trainer... :(

11. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

trainer? just grab a sword and start chopping people up :cool: :p

12. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I have a fairly extensive knowledge of various mythologies, primarily egyptian and european.
    I practice archery and gun-shooting at times, but I suck big-time.
    I enjoy frequently playing board games like Chess and Risk with my friends, and I'd like to buy and learn to wield a sword in RL someday.
    I've trained Judo a couple o' years although I've been too lazy to train for the past month or so.
    I am also into typically nerdic star trek & star wars things, reading SW novels and actively following ST series (having seen all ST & SW movies available in the local videothek (spelling?)).
    I'd like to start playing D&D too but I have no idea how/where to start and how to find other players in town.
    I often attend LAN's hosted by friends, and plan to host one myself within a month.
    :borg:

EDIT: what is fencing <- I thought it was trading in stolen good IIRC

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @Bahir: Once I told a 15 year old boy (I was 16) he had Alzheimer. Went on "proving" it to him and he believed.

I can look straight in your eyes and tell you I don't know anything.

I'm too arrogant to lie unless in jest, anyway.

@Volsung: SCA kind of guys will train you if you sign up. For free or for little fees. More professional mediaeval fencing training costs little less than 1000 euro here. But that's for guys who fight in tournaments as sort of a job.

I practice with whomever I can. It gets easier when you don't insist on it being a real metal sword. Then you can get aikido or kendo guys to practice a bit with you. Broadens your horizons and all. My own fencing is hardly orthodox mediaeval European.

The other guy can use various things if he can't get a sword. Once I had a 100 kg attack me with a metal pipe for parrying & riposte training ;)

14. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I fence... well, fenced, it was through school and school's out right now... And I draw/write my own manga (also called anime), I also knit... which is rare for someone who's 16... And I make movies with my friends. They're usually comedies, since they are no-budget quick-flicks.

I want to start learning a couple different languages too, but I've been saying I will for years, and I still haven't really started.

15. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I like chess. In fact, I once played Chev over Yahoo. After I defeated him he mentioned how he was bleeding. Apparently, Chev takes his chess seriously.

I love all the various sciences. I read books (currently reading "Hydrogen") and journals as well.

I jog...but I suppose that is not too uncommon.

16. Des'tari Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well I am an amateur conspiracy theorist, i also have theories on god so would that make me a theologian or a theo theorist.

17. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I collect fantasy/medieval weapons (swords, daggers, axes, ect.) From what I hear it's not all that uncommon...but my other "hobby" is. I collect the little safety rings from every plastic 1 gallon milk bottle. I keep them on a 6 foot tall walking stick. So far the 1/8" rings have stacked up to a height of about 4.5 feet. Why I do it? I don't really know. What will I do with them? Again, I don't know...probably toss them in the recycle bin. :rolling:

18. Stefanina Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    I can attest to SCA style fighting. I have aquired many glorious bruises over the years. One could even say I collected them for a while...

19. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

Does collecting ex-girlfriends count? Even if it is an unintended collection.

20. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I don't have many hobbies, and these ones aren't so uncommon at all (if RPGs, CRPGs and D&D are common hobbies :) )

I go in LARPs about three times during an year. It's fun, but I have been only in high (or low) fantasy games.

And I've collected dice. I don't do it anymore, but I still have my collection. I have about 120 dice, so I've spent too much money on them :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.